LSI 2008 - Cant detect any drives :(

AmbY

Hello everyone, 

Let me start of by letting you know, that I have not had the pleasure of owning a unRAID system before yesterday. But have had some projects where that have been what we would use, and therefor have some (but not much) experience with it. (Mostly running it and not setting it up from scratch). So if some of this seems "dumb" please understand that I really have no where else to go, that posting a community post (( ie.: 'Yes I have google(ede??)' 'Yes I have searched on the community' and 'Yes I have tried to solve this on my own'. ))

Lets start with the software:

• Pure unRAID 6.6.6 (muhahaha #DevilTiming) Pro

And then on with the Hardware:

• Asus X399-A Prime (Fully updated). 
  • Threadripper 1920X (Fully functional). 
  • 32Gigs of 3200Mhz DD4 Ram (Fully functional). 
    (And ofc. PSU, Cooling, Netcard, GPU, etc). 

And then to the problem:

In my setup (since I am going to need a lot of Disk space) I have installed 2 SCSI controllers. The 2 cards in the system is 'LSI Logic 2008' that are both flashed to 'IT Mode'. And both have been detected fine by the unRAID OS (as shown by the quote below) however all drives connected is not detected by the system! 

IOMMU group 15:[1000:0072] 09:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)

IOMMU group 16:[1000:0072] 0a:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2008 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 [Falcon] (rev 03)

So I have tried alot to see if I could solve this but with out any luck. And as of today I have also tried with a new test-drive, and that has not worked (let me stress out that the drives have been tested in another system (Windows 10 Pro) and works as intended. - The "test drives" was 2 x 3TB WD RED drives. And the newly bought test-drive was/is a Seagate IronWolf 4TB and that is not detected either. 

PLEASE HELP (Not really needed as a text, but still) 

And thank you to all that might help me out with this. 

10 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

Make sure you're using the right cables, you need forward breakout cables, reverse breakout look the same but won't work for this.

I have to say that actually was a thing i had no idea about!! They are all brand new, will see what info I can get from them. 

1 minute ago, AmbY said:

I have to say that actually was a thing i had no idea about!! They are all brand new, will see what info I can get from them. 

Well all that is posted on the cable purchase and plastic is:

"Mini SAS SFF-8087 to SATA direct OCR cable"

3 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

OCR=reverse

OCF=forward

This.... I.... But.... My....

The funny thing is, that they only have OCF on their site when searching for SFF 8087, but since I only needed 0,5meter cables I choosed the only ones being that... And ofcourse that was the only OCR cable that they have.... THE ONLY ONE!.... 

THANK YOU.... I will order the other cables and test. 

Thank you Thank you Thank you!!

1 hour ago, AmbY said:

The funny thing is, that they only have OCF on their site when searching for SFF 8087, but since I only needed 0,5meter cables I choosed the only ones being that... And ofcourse that was the only OCR cable that they have.... THE ONLY ONE!.... 

I only needed/wanted .5 meter cables as well.  I did not want all the extra length inside the case.  I found some very good quality .5 meter forward breakout cables on Amazon, but as mentioned, always make sure it specifically says they are forward breakout cables.  It is interesting how many just say Mini SAS SFF 8087 to 4 SATA breakout cables (or something like that) and never mention if they are forward or reverse.  As you discovered, the difference matters.

Edited by Hoopster
  • Like 1

Thank you Hoopster for the Amazon info. However all on Amazon will be to expensive because of the tax for importing them to Denmark. So I found some from the same vendor as before. I wrote to them and they replied even after hours. They apparently have not listed the 'forward' cable because of them only having 1 on their inventory. They will send one tomorrow so I can test, and the others I have received I should just send back. 

4 minutes ago, AmbY said:

However all on Amazon will be to expensive because of the tax for importing them to Denmark

Didn't realize you were in Denmark.  My ancestors emigrated from the Aalborg area of Denmark to the U.S. in the 1860s.  I don't speak a lick of Danish, but, I have visited that beautiful country a few times.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Hoopster said:

I don't speak a lick of Danish

Well atleast about 80% of all Danes 15-65 of age, speaks and writes English (Atleast the best we can). Making it possible for us all to have conversations. But I think every thing is in place now. Will just see if it works in about 36hours when I have the new test-cable. 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 8:52 PM, Hoopster said:

It is interesting how many just say Mini SAS SFF 8087 to 4 SATA breakout cables (or something like that) and never mention if they are forward or reverse.  As you discovered, the difference matters.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 7:24 PM, johnnie.black said:

OCR=reverse

OCF=forward 

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, yusuflimz said:

Good catch! I learnt something new :)

So just to let everyone know.... I have received a (only one in stock, the 3 others will be sent later) OCF cabel. 

AND THAT WORKED! 

Now on to the next challanges. (Just fought the whole "disk only reads 746,5GB and not 3/4/8/10TB"-problem. :P

THANK YOU ALL!

• Like 2
  • 2 years later...