Win10 Folder Size shown VERY wrong

garycase

I noticed a significant error in the display of a folder size from Windows 10 when I did a "Properties" for one of my large backup folders -- the actual contents are fine, but I got a very incorrect size result.    If I look at the folder from Windows 7 and do a "Properties" it displays the size correctly, and also MUCH faster.

The correct result is 172GB with 117,583 files in 4,585 folders.   Windows 7 takes 20 seconds to display this with a right-click Properties from Windows Explorer.

Windows 10 takes 28 minutes and 40 seconds to finish a right-click Properties, and shows a total of 481GB with 666,853 files in 39,195 folders !!!   Clearly a completely wrong result.

Note that with a much smaller folder, both Windows 7 and Windows 10 show the correct results [ 47.6GB with 49,483 files in 5,578 folders ], but again Windows 7 is MUCH faster at displaying this result [15 seconds, vs. 3 min, 5 sec for Windows 10]

I recall another similar issue from some time ago, which was resolved by adding a line to the Samba Extras in the Settings menu  [allocation roundup size = 0], but that doesn't resolve this.

Any ideas ??

2 minutes ago, garycase said:

Windows 10 takes 28 minutes and 40 seconds to finish a right-click Properties, and shows a total of 481GB with 666,853 files in 39,195 folders !!!   Clearly a completely wrong result.

If it's something like a backup of your appdata share that has say Plex with tons and tons of symlinked files in it, then what you're seeing is correct.  As far as Windows is concerned (over a network), each symlink is a separate file, and it counts it again.

Just for grins, I used Windows Explorer to access the folder that's giving such crazy results in Windows 10 from Windows 8, Windows 7, Vista, and XP  (all VM's) and they ALL show the correct results … and do so MUCH faster than Windows 10.

Does anyone know if there's a setting in either Win10 or in UnRAID that will resolve this??