Cyberpower UPS Setup

First thing you have to be able to do is to be able to shutdown the UPS power-conversion circuitry until the AC Power is restored.  (Only a few UPS will do this...) Then you have to see if your BIOS supports restart-on-power-application.  (Again, only a few MB's do this...)

There is also another problem!  You have to make sure that you shutdown the UPS with enough battery reserve to do a second shutdown.  This prevents the problem of short restoration of AC power with a second loss of power in up to the next eight hours or so.  (that is the time it takes to recharge the battery. )  The first couple of hours are probably the most crucial in this respect depending on how long you attempt to run on battery.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

if and when your UPS shuts down Unraid how are you getting Unraid turned back on from a power restore?

If I'm not on premise, then IPMI is an option. Typically the few hours after getting power back are rough, power wise, at least around here. Typically the power will come back on temporarily, then go back off for a short period as they get around to making permanent fixes and such.

I typically wait until I can be on premise to evaluate the situation, and be sure that it's safe to power back up, and watch the process to be sure.

I personally would NEVER automate a return to power after a UPS event, there is just too much that can go wrong, and having the server down cleanly temporarily is much less hardship than recovering from a possible crash.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, jonathanm said:

If I'm not on premise, then IPMI is an option. Typically the few hours after getting power back are rough, power wise, at least around here. Typically the power will come back on temporarily, then go back off for a short period as they get around to making permanent fixes and such.

I typically wait until I can be on premise to evaluate the situation, and be sure that it's safe to power back up, and watch the process to be sure.

I personally would NEVER automate a return to power after a UPS event, there is just too much that can go wrong, and having the server down cleanly temporarily is much less hardship than recovering from a possible crash.

Very good points.  When I step back and realize I'm always 10 seconds away from being able to control my server's power from my phone with OpenVPN and IPMIView...it all gets put in prospective.

6 hours ago, jonathanm said:

..."Typically the few hours after getting power back are rough, power wise, at least around here. Typically the power will come back on temporarily, then go back off for a short period as they get around to making permanent fixes and such.

I typically wait until I can be on premise to evaluate the situation, and be sure that it's safe to power back up, and watch the process to be sure."...

I 100% agree. Even in big cities with rare power issues, there is often a testing period with on and offs. I also just wait till i am home before restarting the system.