Development version/license possible?

SlrG

Would it be possible to create a developer trial version/license? A version, that supports only 3 drives (e.g. 1 parity, 1 drive and 1 cache) of a max size of 1 GB each and is not bound to a flash GUID? Even without parity and with even smaller disks would probably be okay.

This should  prevent normal users from not paying for licenses but it would enable plugin or docker developers to work on their projects in a VM without using their productive unRAID machines. I have two unRAID Pro licenses myself, but those are productive machines and I don't really like to do dev work on them, as it could corrupt something. And switching between versions to check plugin functionality is a major hassle, too. Just now I have a problem with my ProFTPd plugin, where it runs fine on my 6.7.0-RC4 machines, but seems to do not on a clean RC4 installations, as some users report. I tried to setup a clean version in a VM, but I am not able to get a trial license, as the VM does not provide a valid GUID. As I have not enough money or old hardware at the moment to setup a pure development machine its really hard to find out what is going wrong. A helpful hand from @limetech to all developers would be really appreciated. I can't image I'm the only one with such problems.

Many thanks to the unRAID developers for the great product. I really love it!

• Like 3

I would be happy with a license that simply limit the maximum drive size (perhaps to only 1GB or less) as that would do for testing.   I actually have a spare license at the moment which I use  testing.    However I may want to use the spare license anger and some way to keep a small test environment would be convenient. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm a bit sad, that this got ignored completely by @limetech. Even a simple answer like. "We have thought about that, but decided to not do something like this.", would have been helpful.

@itimpi, @CHBMB

How exactly are you using your spare licenses for development? Do you have two usb drives with two licenses connected to your server and passthrough the spare to a vm or do you have it on a separate machine or do you switch the the drives around, needing to reboot the machine every time?

4 hours ago, SlrG said:

I'm a bit sad, that this got ignored completely by @limetech. Even a simple answer like. "We have thought about that, but decided to not do something like this.", would have been helpful.

@itimpi, @CHBMB

How exactly are you using your spare licenses for development? Do you have two usb drives with two licenses connected to your server and passthrough the spare to a vm or do you have it on a separate machine or do you switch the the drives around, needing to reboot the machine every time?

I'm pretty sure that if you have a valid Unraid license and IS a plugin or container developer, if you ask Limetech you could be gifted with an extra license for developing purposes.

6 hours ago, SlrG said:

@itimpi, @CHBMB

I work in two modes:

• In one I am running Unraid in a VM.  In this case of I have the second USB stick plugged into my normal Unraid server and pass it through to the Unraid VM.   I have exploited the capability to specify in the syslinux.cfg the label that Unraid looks for so it can a different one to that used by the host.   When running in this mode I use vdisks which limits the size I can easily have but is sufficient for testing and is easy to use.   A development license that supported only small drives would work well here if it was available.
  • In the second mode I boot my normal desktop PC off the USB stick.  That machine has 5x2TB drives that have been recycled when replaced by larger drives in my main server and that are not used by Windows.   This allows for a more sizeable array to be set up if I need that for any testing.   However I lose the use of it as desktop PC while doing this as it does not support hardware pass-through of a GPU to make running a VM on it a good idea.
  • Upvote 1
7 hours ago, SlrG said:

@itimpi, @CHBMB

I have two usb sticks connected to my server.  One to boot my Unraid server from and the other I use to boot an Unraid-VM from with a 10GB virtual disk for dev stuff.

I need to increase the size of the virtual disk to 25-30GB though as I run out of space if I try to compile Nvidia and DVB.....

@trurl

Thank you. :) It seems to be a problem with my adblocker. I disabled it now.

@itimpi

I'm very interested in the changing of the unraid label for the second stick. I tried passing through an usb controller but I get a segfault on boot, so I must be doing something wrong and have to investigate further. But it might be easier to only passthrough the second license usb drive.

10 minutes ago, SlrG said:

@itimpi

I'm very interested in the changing of the unraid label for the second stick. I tried passing through an usb controller but I get a segfault on boot, so I must be doing something wrong and have to investigate further. But it might be easier to only passthrough the second license usb drive. 

How to do this is covered in this thread (in the section on adding the 'unraidlabel' entry into syslinux,cfg).   My Unraid server does not support hardware pass-through so being able to do this was a pre-requisite for me to get the Unraid VM to function as desired. 

On 3/9/2019 at 8:36 AM, SlrG said:

The Limetech team is very willing to help serious developers and accommodate accordingly.

If you are in the need of an immediate solution, best is to connect Limetech directly and pose your question with enough jusitification why it is needed.

Usually the response is very quick.

Thank you all for your responses. Due to the tip from @itimpi I was able to add the stick with the license from my backup server to my main one and have now a working development VM. For the moment that will help me to fix the problems of my proftpd plugin with the RCs. Later on I'll have to setup a new backup server. :)