Windows 10 VM Reset

Naldinho

I had a stable Windows 10 VM running on an SSD that I pass-through for the exclusive use of the VM. I ended up needing to use the Windows 10 reset feature which basically reformats the drive and installs a clean version of Windows. The VM is freezing up now -- it seems like this happens on heavy load. Whatever is happening actually crashes the entire unRaid machine leading to a reboot. 

When you do a complete reset is there anything that needs doing beyond that? This isn't the first time I have had to do a reset and the previous times it was fine but that it is unstable this time makes me think maybe drivers or some setting needs to be done manually.

I'm also getting a bad echo on audio and this was a problem when I set up the VM originally 2+ years ago but I was able to fix that with the help of the unRaid community back then so just need to find the topics but figured worth mention in case it is related.

There are some possibilities, but most of them have to do with preventing you from booting, not crashing...  You might want to download the latest VIRTIO drivers:

https://fedorapeople.org/groups/virt/virtio-win/direct-downloads/latest-virtio/virtio-win.iso

and then manually reinstall each-one one at a time including the guest agent...  That is my best guess...  Anything other than that would be host issues (Hardware), or mis-configured VM XML files, or broken install of Windows...

What I do with my system is install Windows on one image, then add another for all my data that needs to be "Local" to the VM, then everything else is on the UnRaid SMB...  This lets me back them up separately, and therefor restore them separately, preventing issues like this...