How many TB's is your Unraid Server?

SpencerJ

How many TB's is your Unraid Server?  

1809 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

LoL... i have 12TB.... that isn't full..

I have about 400-500GB of pure important data that has multiple backups externally.

I wouldn't mind increasing the drives from 3TB to 4TB drives but until they start to die or fill up i kind of dont see much of a point unless i grab 3 drives straight away to begin the process (ie the 2 parity drives and a single larger data)

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, DemoRic said:

I just put my server together this weekend with junk just laying around. 

Total 16.9TB of HDDs but my array only has 3.5TB of storage.  (My 2 largest drives are being used for parity).

16GB Cache on an SD card.

You will probably want to change that cache setup. Unraid doesn't use cache in the traditional way, normally people have SSD's of 120GB or larger as cache pool, 16GB isn't going to be useful for anything with Unraid.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

You will probably want to change that cache setup. Unraid doesn't use cache in the traditional way, normally people have SSD's of 120GB or larger as cache pool, 16GB isn't going to be useful for anything with Unraid.

Thanks, for the head up.  =)   I'm still super new at how the cache works in conjunction with move.  (Figured something was better than nothing at least for small files).  I bought a license but really I'm still just testing things out before updating drives.  Currently my cache sits at about 200-500mb in a given day, but then again it's only being used to mothball files as a tertiary backup and a Plex Media Server serving up 2-3 devices.

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is an old topic but I felt compelled given recent activity.

Since I built my server initially back in 2016:

It has served me so well and has nary skipped a beat. Temps are still low and it has allowed me to scale up tremendously.

Today ... well it makes me glad of the planning and time I put into deciding the right parts. When I built it I speculated that I would be able to get capacity up to 56TB with 8TB drives. Today may array has a usable size of 87TB and there are still some of the original 3TB WD Red's in there too (see my Sig). Heaps of head room especially with sizes of disks today.

I think when I upgrade, well, I don't think I will. I think I will keep this bad boy going and retire it to be the backup server and build a new rig. I don't think I could part with it now! LOL!

Some photos - then and now!

then.pngnow.png

Edited by danioj
4 hours ago, danioj said:

I know this is an old topic but I felt compelled given recent activity.

Since I built my server initially back in 2016:

It has served me so well and has nary skipped a beat. Temps are still low and it has allowed me to scale up tremendously.

Today ... well it makes me glad of the planning and time I put into deciding the right parts. When I built it I speculated that I would be able to get capacity up to 56TB with 8TB drives. Today may array has a usable size of 87TB and there are still some of the original 3TB WD Red's in there too (see my Sig). Heaps of head room especially with sizes of disks today.

I think when I upgrade, well, I don't think I will. I think I will keep this bad boy going and retire it to be the backup server and build a new rig. I don't think I could part with it now! LOL!

Some photos - then and now!

then.pngnow.png

Looks good! I am not a fan of Intel stock CPU coolers, those are pretty bad :-/

On 8/10/2021 at 11:00 PM, ezhik said:

Looks good! I am not a fan of Intel stock CPU coolers, those are pretty bad 😕

You spurred me on to do something I have been meaning to do @ezhik.

You're absolutely right, the stock Intel cooler is a POS. It always annoyed me how the system would get to unstable temperatures in some conditions (e.g. 40 degree day and under load) so I have been meaning to switch it out. Well, now I have done so.

Ordered a Noctua NH-L9i immediately after I read your post and it came today. It's now installed and stress tested and Temps are visibly lower both idle and under load.

:)

EDIT: I have my server in a dedicated comm's cupboard in my home office and I've just noticed (as I ponder the end of the day) how much quieter it is too.

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

Edited by danioj
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, danioj said:

You spurred me on to do something I have been meaning to do @ezhik.

You're absolutely right, the stock Intel cooler is a POS. It always annoyed me how the system would get to unstable temperatures in some conditions (e.g. 40 degree day and under load) so I have been meaning to switch it out. Well, now I have done so.

Ordered a Noctua NH-L9i immediately after I read your post and it came today. It's now installed and stress tested and Temps are visibly lower both idle and under load.

:)

EDIT: I have my server in a dedicated comm's cupboard in my home office and I've just noticed (as I ponder the end of the day) how much quieter it is too.

IMG_1134.jpeg

IMG_1136.jpeg

Now we are talking! Top notch man!

• 3 weeks later...

I have upgrade since my last post gentleman! I am slowly but surely making my way to the 3 digit club! Last time I posted I was at 32Tb and was pretty much almost full. Now with this last round of upgrades I am sitting at 70TB. 

These are all Western Digital Reds. I updated the Parity drive to 12TB and as for the rest of the array 1x 12TB, 1x 10TB, 4x 8TB, and 4x 4TB Drives! 

My next plan is to move to a real 4U 24 Bay hot swappable server chassis! 

image.png.f212304605698c97606e4ac674175acf.png

Running unRAID Pro 6.9.2 with 184TB currently with 55.7 TB free.  I'm using a 24-bay Supermicro server rack with an 8-bay Supermicro rack piggybacked onto the larger case.  I cut a hole in the bottom of the 8-bay rack to feed the SATA cables from the controllers in the lower rack.  I have three 8-port LSi SATA controllers plus six onboard SATA ports and two eSATA ports on an ASUS A88X-PRO motherboard with an AMD A10-7700K CPU and 32GB of DDR3 memory.  I'm running 28 data drives of either 4TB or 8TB capacities with two parity drives and a 1TB SSD cache drive.  I can expand the array to 224TB without having to upgrade the parity drives.  I've got five 8TB drives sitting on the shelf already pre-cleared and ready to insert into the array should any of the drives die.  Been running unRAID for over 13 years now.  The pic with the drives in the anti-static bags are the drives that have been retired from the array over the years that were replaced by larger drives.  There were more drives than than, but I destroyed any drives that failed and recycled them.  The ones in the photo have all been wiped clean and tested good.

IMG_1357.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

• Like 4
  • 3 weeks later...

I got 24 8TB SMR drives for free some years back and began searching for a system that could handle them - and UNRAID was the answer.

It was perfect for the role as NAS and media server here in my home. Compared to my existing NAS units I saved a lot of energi and wear on the drives because UNRAID only needed to spin up one drive and not 12 drives like on my existing NAS units.

Since the start, I have upgraded motherboard, CPU, memory, HBA's and added both stronger GPU for Plex transcoding and added an external storage cabinet, but the SMR drives are still in there.

The system currently runs on a ASUS ROG STRIX X399-E GAMING motherboard with a AMD Ryzen Threadripper 1920X 12-Core CPU with 64GB RAM. The GPU is a NVIDIA Quadro P2000 and the HBA's are LSI 9205-8e and LSI 9211-8i together with an HP expander. For cabinet I use an old Norco RPC-4020 and the external is an NetApp DS4246 (Cooling is terrible in the old Norco, so most drives are moved to the NetApp).

UNRAID_Masked.thumb.png.eedec19a15afe883d08d0ec030dfffb0.png

IMG_3639.thumb.jpg.7d328016fbf3bc863b51f1047295c3ab.jpg

I really hope we get support for extra array's soon, so I can migrate all data from my two Synology boxes as well. Besides this little setup I have approx- 160TB in each of the Synology 2412+ NAS units. 

Edited by RecycledBits
  • 1 month later...
On 6/11/2021 at 8:05 AM, tjb_altf4 said:

Array is currently at 90TB + 1P, but 5TB of nvme and 6TB of UD bumps me over the 100TB mark!

Looking to expand further, just need to work out an appropriate solution to house all the disks 🤣

Passed 200TB recently with this spaghetti monster, only utilising 24 of 28 HDD slots so far.

image.png.2e425d93dad1cb42f66bd886c27e8494.png

• 2 weeks later...

Small server here: 40TB with 11 TB unused. Soon to be 48TB with 19TB unused with 1 10TB parity drive and 6 8TB data drives in a Rosewill Thor V2 case with old Antec drive cages, and old motherboard. Using existing stuff for now. It's inspiring to read about all the large server setups. For now I have a 1080p (3D) tv and all my content is 1080p. But once I switch to 4k I will need a new server.

Edited by Juniper

I'll show my age here.  First job out of college, went to work for a company creating the first high resolution graphics cards for the IBM PC.  640x480 and 256 colors.

We were doing contract work for IBM, which gave us some of the first built systems of a new PC they were going to release.  The IBM PC/AT.  Several of us had these on our desks/benches.  A 5.25" HD floppy and a 20MB hard drive.

Our manager had one of the premium ones - it came with a 30MB drive.   Ooooohhhhh....

One of our senior hardware designers said, "You could spend your entire life, and not fill a 30MB hard disk."

• Like 4