How many TB's is your Unraid Server?

SpencerJ

How many TB's is your Unraid Server?  

1809 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

@SpencerJ I just setup my Storinator Q30 Turbo with 30 drive bays, and thanks to 14TB drives (the current sweet spot on price per GB) I am now up to 200TB usable, even with Dual 14TB parity drives. 45 Drives makes excellent products and I am very happy with my new Unraid server. My old Norco 24 bay server is going to be used for backups now. I've been an avid UNRAID customer since 2014.

Edited by falconexe
  • Like 1
On 8/29/2019 at 1:10 PM, falconexe said:

I just setup my Storinator Q30 Turbo with 30 drive bays, and thanks to 14TB drives (the current sweet spot on price per GB) I am now up to 200TB usable, even with Dual 14TB parity drives. 45 Drives makes excellent products and I am very happy with my new Unraid server. My old Norco 24 bay server is going to be used for backups now. I've been an avid UNRAID customer since 2014.

Lets see some pics!

On 9/3/2019 at 9:42 AM, ashman70 said:

Lets see some pics!

Alright here you go!

This currently shows 186TB usable as I have my last 14TB disk pre-clearing in another UNRAID server but you get the idea. Once I install that into SLOT 28, I will be at the 200TB described. That leaves me with another 28TBs to expand with the last 2 empty slots at 14TB each for a total of 228TB usable, unless I step up to 16TB. However, I'll probably wait until the industry hits 20TB per disk to increase because I'm on dual parity so I'd have to purchase X3 drives to expand the size of any disk past parity. In the build below I added the 10GIG NIC and 2 PCI SSD trays for my Cache pool. Other than that, I added the drives to the array and the rest came from the factory (45 Drives). By the way, the friction mounts in this thing are friggen awesome. No. More. Screws/Trays!

To fire this thing up I literally just swapped my drives and FLASH USB from my old server and plugged them into this one. And Bam. UNRAID started up without a single issue whatsoever. It just said, sweet, more of everything, and went about its business. I was a little worried about how it would handle the Dual 8-Core CPUs (16 Cores Total/32 with  Hyper-threading), but it had no issues and that SWEET CPU dashboard is awesome to look at in action.

This build maxes out UNRAID's current limit of 30 drives (2 Parity & 28 Data) with a Cache Pool. This is why I decided to get the Storinator Q30 instead of the Q45, or even Q60. Also, the Q45 and Q60 have longer chassis, so the Q30 matched the standard length in a 4U rack-mount. Also, holy cow this thing runs Sooooooo cool. Before, my drives temps would peak at 50C+ (danger zone) during parity/rebuilds in that old Norco 24 bay case. Now they don't break 32C during a parity check. The fan setup in this thing is crazy efficient and the motherboard steps up speeds as temps rise automatically (no fan plugin required). Finally, it is very quite, and lives up to the "Q" in its name. The Q30 is the ultimate sweet spot in my opinion, and pushes UNRAID to its current limits.

Note: Serial numbers have been redacted from the pics. Let me know if you have any questions. Enjoy!

01.thumb.jpg.44b216c1c5f7a3515b2f04fb878295f7.jpg

02.thumb.jpg.edd00ebe802ef16b80ce1f91129f4737.jpg

03.thumb.jpg.d4b0b5f53a97fed012cf00910fc92d12.jpg

04.thumb.jpg.2be17f6e20dbfc0ae632e168d9be844f.jpg

05.thumb.jpg.cbaabf9dfd0f3289ac850c47d03cc4de.jpg

06.thumb.jpg.ae53e02a7368e019c20647b28acd8c23.jpg

07.thumb.jpg.6b89f98537fe843ebd4c54938274a51e.jpg

08.thumb.jpg.be8535a73ad3bdec7f2c8ab5bd5a4541.jpg

09.thumb.jpg.ed442091c8d9d84d2cb3f94b5442aa5f.jpg

10.thumb.jpg.fe6b66606bfc4832246ae2f9eedf05b0.jpg

11.thumb.png.60adc6a50c4e79734f0c85f38309b2f7.png

12.thumb.png.4e8c4b1fbb61e9ccaf77ce5fa432c819.png

Edited by falconexe
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
2 hours ago, ashman70 said:

Nice build! Can you tell us roughly how much the storinator cost?

This Turbo model (Dual CPU and 64GB of RAM) retails for just under $6K with free shipping, and you get what you pay for. You can get into a Q30 starting in the high $3K range.

You can use their Q30 configuration page below and price one out. Ask for Dylan! He was great to work with.

https://www.45drives.com/products/storinator-q30-configurations.php

Edited by falconexe
  • Like 1
On 9/4/2019 at 10:03 AM, ashman70 said:

Wow, nice, too rich for my blood though.

I get it... My first Norco case (24 Bays) was around $2500 without drives 5 years back. It lasted me a long time until I outgrew it and heat became an issue as platter sizes increased. I look at it as a long term investment. We also run a media production company, so it is a business expense. That's the great thing about UNRAID. It is insanely customization, scalable, and can literally run on anything from potato to a Lamborghini. 😂

Edited by falconexe
  • Like 2
20 hours ago, falconexe said:

Also, holy cow this thing runs Sooooooo cool. Before, my drives temps would peak at 50C+ (danger zone) during parity/rebuilds in that old Norco 24 bay case. Now they don't break 32C during a parity check.

So cool, wow.

A common problem on traditional disk rack case, no space between disk, so low effeciency cooling.

But I don't like the 45drive cable routing method and it really expensive. ( Oversea transportation cost also headache )

Edited by Benson

Also, 45 Drives offers multi-year RMA on RAM so that was huge selling point. Their support is top notch overall too. I opted out of the extended support contract because I work in the IT industry and have built countless gaming rigs and custom servers. Overall, I had no time, wanted the most painless and efficient build possible, and a rock solid company behind our new Production UNRAID server. You pay for that kind of quality and peace of mind and I am OK with the price.

7 hours ago, ashman70 said:

Ah ok, for a business that makes more sense. I got a wicked deal on a Super Micro 36 Bay chassis a few years ago out of Montreal ( I live in Ontario, Canada) delivered to my door for $800 CAN and it has been serving me well. 

That is a SICK deal. What were the specs? Got any pics? I would love to see a chassis beyond 30.

7 hours ago, Benson said:

So cool, wow.

A common problem on traditional disk rack case, no space between disk, so low effeciency cooling.

Buy I don't like the 45drive cable routing method and really expensive. ( Oversea transportation cost also headache )

Thanks! Living in the USA, and with this shipping from Canada, I only had one minor hiccup at USA customs requiring a form to be filled out. It took about 8 hours to clear customs once that form was processed. I had to contact FedEx corporate to get that sorted out. Otherwise 45 Drives shipped this thing ridiculously quick and were super helpful overall. They also packed this thing very securely with custom foam and a sturdy box. The rails (super beefy) came in a separate box. Finally, the rails were super simple to install on the chassis and onto my StarTech 26U rack-mount, unlike the Norco rails😒. I was able to get it mounted all by myself. It was a bit tricky lining up both rails blind on one side, but I got it done LOL.

Here is the ONE thing I have learned from this experience and purchase. LOWER DRIVE TEMPS ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY! It literally makes me sick to think of how hot I had been running my drives for the last 5 years (average around 45C and peaking at 52C). The catalyst for this purchase is that I came home to 3 drives hitting 62C in a data rebuild situation. I'm pretty sure I lost the 6TB drive I was rebuilding because of previous long term sustained high temps, and then I was on super thin ice attempting a rebuild with those temps (14TB drives run a bit hotter and I added 3). All of a sudden, My Norco case started losing cooling efficiency. No changes to the fan controllers, no fans failed, but we have had a very hot summer where I live. Once that 6TB drive failed, I jumped to extending Dual Parity to 14TB, and then swapped that failed drive to 14TB. Once the temps reached 62C and averaged 55C during that rebuild, I said NOPE. I stopped the rebuild, and ordered my Q30. Once it arrived, I rebuilt the same drive and had a peak of 32C. I have since done 5 parity checks and it is still ROCK SOLID on temps. This speaks immensely to the design and thought that 45 Drives puts into their products!

Could I have upgraded my Norco case with better fans/cooling? Sure, but it would have never been this good due to the drive setup and orientation in that case. Replacing drives isn't cheap! When it comes to our data, even though I have redundant physical and online backups, the tranquility I have sleeping at night with this rig speaks for itself in my opinion.

Edited by falconexe

Yeah my drives never exceed 36 degrees C and often run lower, I'd power the system down if they were running at your temps to figure out a way to get them lower. I'll see if I can dig up a pic its in a baby rack under my desk so you can only see the front 24 hot swap bays. I upgraded the board, cpu and ram over a year ago to dual 8/16 CPU's, its my backup server and runs a bunch of dockers. I've been an unRAID advocate since 2016, I currently run four unRAID servers.

36 minutes ago, ashman70 said:

Here is a pic of the server in the rack I have, its an older photo but still looks the same, there are 12 more bays on the rear of the server.

OK, cool. Interesting design with the extra 12 drives in the back. It looks almost identical to my Norco 4224 case. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by falconexe
11 minutes ago, testdasi said:

Just our of curiosity, other than "I don't trust [Insert Cloud Provider]" and "I'm Linus Sebastian / Marques Brownlee", is there any particular reasons that warrant 100TB+ storage server?

Sure. 2,000 blu-rays backed up at 50GB / disk. When you have well over $20,000 worth of blu ray disks, surely you would want a backup of your data, right?

🤣

• Like 4
10 hours ago, testdasi said:

Just our of curiosity, other than "I don't trust [Insert Cloud Provider]" and "I'm Linus Sebastian / Marques Brownlee", is there any particular reasons that warrant 100TB+ storage server?

I'm a solo, personal use user with more than 100TB of storage now.
My original server from ~2012 was built into a U-NAS NSC-800. That server runs ArchLinux and is still live with some of the original disks still spinning (over 6 years power on time, it's getting scary so I'm cycling in new drives as I can afford to) That system had 8 2tb drives installed in Raid 5 with a hot spare with hardware raid, and it's been rock solid. The problem is I severely underestimated my "hobbyist" usage.

I figured 12TB would last me for years to come, yet somehow a year or two later the system was nearly full and I was resorting to non-redundancy and no backups just to fit the bits on what I could afford. I was wrong.

But, even saying that - technically almost all of my data could live happily on the cloud. And gigabit internet is "pretty quick" and "pretty affordable" now.
Problem? I work with 500gb+ disk images and mounting over gigabit takes an eon. Moving the disk image back and forth constantly takes ages. 10gbe on a local server is the cure.

My array is only sitting at about 25tb, and almost 1tb for ssd cache pool. 90% of my data on my array is media, aka movies/tv shows for my plex server. And just about any piece of software for windows thats popular, as well as 100's of iso images of different windows 10 builds. I use P2P to download all my data on my terribly slow dsl speeds at 12Mbps/750Kbps. I dont delete anything and i prolly have several 100gbs of duplicate data lol. I only have 3 dockers installed, Plex, deluge and krusader.

My server is severely under utilized, and i need to lookup and expand my dockers/plugins to take advantage of whats out there.

My current struggle is I am using a unsupported sas controller, that drop disks often, causes read and write errors, and often needs to be rebooted to ensure performance doesnt struggle due to in adequate drivers that fail or disable for no reason.

Also my i5 cpu is getting taxxed pretty hard by Plex transcoding. I installed at the start just a basic heatsink, but now that doesnt seem to be enough as I am getting a ton of CPU overheating errors and its being throttled down to prevent damage. My case is very well ventilated with x8 120mm and x4 140mm. But when all the drives are spun up doing work it gets faily warm.

I wanna know what you guys need arrays that are well over 100tb, is it for enterprise type of setups? Cost has to be enormous lol.

Screenshot_102.jpg

On 9/13/2019 at 9:59 PM, Acps said:

imageproxy.php?img=&key=e5eec7c5c933ca16

I wanna know what you guys need arrays that are well over 100tb, is it for enterprise type of setups? Cost has to be enormous lol.

Screenshot_102.jpg

My Towers are used for data backup and Plex.

Currently I have 2x active Towers, and a testing Tower.

I have 120Tb for my main Plex Tower3, has over 3000 Blu-Ray movies, and 250 TV series

My Tower2 is 44Tb of Photo's and data backup. 

My Testing Tower1 is currently at 30Tb, but varies all the time as I test and change the configuration, testing disks and controllers.

9 hours ago, RogueWolf33 said:

I am happy to report it is all SSD (With the exception of Parity)

Huh? If you have SSD data drives mixed with a spinning rust parity drive in the main array (not cache) you are getting the worst possible combo for performance and data safety.

Either have an all SSD array parity included and deal with possible parity sync errors and lack of trim, or only put SSD's in the cache pool. Mixing them in the main array means you still have the possibility of parity corruption and no trim, plus all writes will be limited by the speed of the parity drive.

Hopefully I misunderstood what you were saying.

• Thanks 1