How many TB's is your Unraid Server?

SpencerJ

How many TB's is your Unraid Server?  

1809 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• 2 weeks later...

168TB usable, with 14 x 14TB including two drives for parity.

16 bay server, didn't want to go 24 bay as was worried about having more drives with only two parity drives.... (triple parity please!)

Got all the WD Elements 14TB drives for £190 each off Amazon.co.uk.  Bargain

Unraid.PNG

Edited by sdamaged
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

two servers (formerly 3---retired one)

Primary 2U 12bay hotswap - 110TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD) Two 8TB Parity Drives

Using a Netapp DS4246 to get past my Server Case's 12 drive limit only just starting to populate it now

Secondary 3U 10 bay hot swap - 36TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD), 1 6TB Parity Drive

So guess if counting both im at 146TB total Array space and 2TB Cache space

IMG_8343.JPG

Image 02-19-2020 at 3.16 PM.jpeg

Image 02-19-2020 at 3.15 PM.jpeg

On 2/8/2020 at 4:04 PM, sdamaged said:

168TB usable, with 14 x 14TB including two drives for parity.

16 bay server, didn't want to go 24 bay as was worried about having more drives with only two parity drives.... (triple parity please!)

I have asked for option for as much parity as we want, but constantly asked "Why" i said becasue with 28 max Data drive risk of more than two failing at once increases the future answer is multiple drive pools with up to two parity and 28 data drives per pool so that will help

1 minute ago, sdamaged said:

Agree, with 28 drives, the chance of a third failure must skyrocket. I understand that additional parity causes a big CPU overhead, but it's a must have as far as i am concerned.  Dual parity simply isn't enough.

this is one reason I have staggered the purchase and installation of drives

I have just had two recently purchased Seagate Ironwolfs both exihibit UDMA CRC errors and due to time sensitivity of the RMA from the reseller i got them from I had to replce both last night Parity is almost done rebuilding but boy would it have sucked if one of my other 13 drives decided to bite it while rebuilding the two current drives.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/19/2020 at 5:19 PM, Can0nfan said:

two servers (formerly 3---retired one)

Primary 2U 12bay hotswap - 110TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD) Two 8TB Parity Drives

Using a Netapp DS4246 to get past my Server Case's 12 drive limit only just starting to populate it now

Secondary 3U 10 bay hot swap - 36TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD), 1 6TB Parity Drive

So guess if counting both im at 146TB total Array space and 2TB Cache space

Is the 3rd server still around? I'm looking for my second to house my smaller drives....

• 4 months later...

So my "toy" is Unraid server with 220TB of dual parity space IIRC. Sadly the unraid server at my house in the country with no internet (not even cell - current satellite does not count as internet --- i refuse to get it) i do weekend data dumps for my kid.

(A note on the internet - the local power company just got a grant and according to them I will have fiber to the house - BTW it is in the stix -  1gb to 10gb connection speeds synchronous... a hurry up and wait moment)

The system is a Dell PowerEdge T630 with 18 x 3.5 drives (mostly 14tb's). The unit is over 50% full.

I am going to add some hardware raid DAS when I have some time for another project. 

Server 1 Specs:

• Dual 14 core Xeon 2.8GHZ V4's 
  • 256GB of DDR4
  • 6 x NVME's  2 x SSD's in various capacities Cache and VM drives
  • 2 x Quadro 2000's 
  • Dual Perc 730Ps for controllers  one connection is external for a 2.5 DAS (16 x 5TB slow drives) I am working on bringing up

I have another UNRAID server in the works in the city (with internet :) ) it is smaller (10 drives in parity) but have not finished it. Threadripper based. Will attach pics when I have time

Second server is up. 160TB on main array. Built in a Norco 24 bay with 8 x SSD for various side projects.

This is system is threadripper based 

• Tripper 2950
  • 128GB DDR4
  • Mostly 10tb's in this one (bays are not full)
  • 8 x SSD's and 3 x NVME's in system
  • HI point controller for raid to a intel expander
  • 2 x Quadro 2000's

Need to post some pics 

Edited by xeensd
added hardware
  • 1 month later...

Right now I have 3 2tb drives and 2 3tb drives for 12tb total but I have one 3tb as a parity drive so really only 9tb and about 8.7ish after overhead and reserved space for a few things

Edit: I do hope to expand soon, just need more drives, I would like to get a few more 3tb and then take the 2tb drives out and use that for just messing around and trying to learn stuff on another machine that way if I screw it up bad I have nothing to lose

Edited by thedangerine
On 2/19/2020 at 5:46 PM, sdamaged said:

Really hope they offer this at some point.  I would jump on it.

EDIT - Just asked!

Instead of extra parity, I'd rather see multi-array support and/or Gluster-like functionality.

And after having done some reading on what Gluster does, I think I'd prefer that over multi-array.  Less chance of crashing everything at once if something dumb happens.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

I'm up to 70TB

Building a custom case has been a bit of a nightmare....  100% due to my crap design lol o well at least it looks nice + works well when it doesn't need maintenance. 

Images from last weekends replacement of a bad sata cable...

More pics of the initial build up here
https://linustechtips.com/topic/353971-an-introduction-to-project-egor-the-never-ending-story/

I've since replaced the motherboard.  The old SR-2 died folding for a cure to COVID :( 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, sdamaged said:

I'm not sure how wise it is to fill the array now, when you have tons of free space, compared to waiting until you need the space, and then buying the larger drives that will subsequently be out, for the same price.  I've done the same thing and kinda wish i hadn't!

Good point, but there is also the advantage of spreading the load across more drives to decrease the risk of data loss (less data on any single drive) in the event of disk/rebuild/backup restore failure. Assuming you are using an allocation method of “most free” or “high water”.

Edited by falconexe

Jumping into the party here...

I just bought 2 more drives that will bump me above 100 TB.

Going to take 2 of the 10TB drives out of this rig and build a second UnRAID server for backup purposes and put it at my buddy's house.  Yea, I have 100 TB, but only 10-15TB of it is considered irreplaceable.  Been down the road of Crashplan screwing us, and more recently the Google Screw of "unlimited" space.  So, I decided to make my own backup.  Thought of a few alternatives, but what's better than another UnRAID setup at a different location?  ;-)

So, here's my current drives, but will be pulling 2 of the 10TBs and replacing them with more 2 x 16TB drives.  Then, the 2 x 10TB will be integrated into a new server to be put at my buddy's house.

image.png.bf6515e20a46b383791e5b75f1b2a249.png

Oh, and those measly 600 GB drives are 3.5's built into the server and will be a fortune to replace.  So, they're staying put.

• 2 weeks later...

Here's my contribution to the storage party. The main server has 224TB usable, the backup server has 126TB usable. The main server drives are housed in a Chenbro NR40700 case and the backup server is housed in a Supermicro CSE-826. I'll need to upgrade the backup server at some point since every drive bay is full.

unraid_drives_censored.PNG

unraid_backupserver_censored.PNG

20-11-14 16-21-45 6231-min.jpg

• Like 7