SpencerJ

How many TB's is your Unraid Server?

How many TB's is your Unraid Server?  

825 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

93 posts in this topic Last Reply

On 9/5/2019 at 8:39 AM, jonathanm said:

Sure. 2,000 blu-rays backed up at 50GB / disk. When you have well over $20,000 worth of blu ray disks, surely you would want a backup of your data, right?

🤣

Cool, you've got the right idea.  Just wondering if you are fully leveraging it with a front-end so you don't have to insert discs.  Essentially, your discs are your backup, and your array is your media server.

I've got 1800+ movies stored away in boxes in the basement (my backup), and watch everything directly from my array.  Using my own GUI front-end, of course... 😉

I am currently at 48TB on array, I have WD Green I will eventually replace and a spare bay if a decent deal comes up on another 12TB WD Red. 

image.thumb.png.cdb3b78d5055f0f0d65359345288be06.png

168TB usable, with 14 x 14TB including two drives for parity.

16 bay server, didn't want to go 24 bay as was worried about having more drives with only two parity drives.... (triple parity please!)

Got all the WD Elements 14TB drives for £190 each off Amazon.co.uk.  Bargain

Unraid.PNG

Edited by sdamaged

two servers (formerly 3---retired one)

Primary 2U 12bay hotswap - 110TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD) Two 8TB Parity Drives

Using a Netapp DS4246 to get past my Server Case's 12 drive limit only just starting to populate it now

Secondary 3U 10 bay hot swap - 36TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD), 1 6TB Parity Drive

So guess if counting both im at 146TB total Array space and 2TB Cache space

IMG_8343.JPG

Image 02-19-2020 at 3.16 PM.jpeg

Image 02-19-2020 at 3.15 PM.jpeg

On 2/8/2020 at 4:04 PM, sdamaged said:

168TB usable, with 14 x 14TB including two drives for parity.

16 bay server, didn't want to go 24 bay as was worried about having more drives with only two parity drives.... (triple parity please!)

I have asked for option for as much parity as we want, but constantly asked "Why" i said becasue with 28 max Data drive risk of more than two failing at once increases the future answer is multiple drive pools with up to two parity and 28 data drives per pool so that will help

Agree, with 28 drives, the chance of a third failure must skyrocket. I understand that additional parity causes a big CPU overhead, but it's a must have as far as i am concerned.  Dual parity simply isn't enough.

1 minute ago, sdamaged said:

Agree, with 28 drives, the chance of a third failure must skyrocket. I understand that additional parity causes a big CPU overhead, but it's a must have as far as i am concerned.  Dual parity simply isn't enough.

this is one reason I have staggered the purchase and installation of drives

I have just had two recently purchased Seagate Ironwolfs both exihibit UDMA CRC errors and due to time sensitivity of the RMA from the reseller i got them from I had to replce both last night Parity is almost done rebuilding but boy would it have sucked if one of my other 13 drives decided to bite it while rebuilding the two current drives.

Really hope they offer this at some point.  I would jump on it.

EDIT - Just asked!

Edited by sdamaged

On 2/19/2020 at 5:19 PM, Can0nfan said:

two servers (formerly 3---retired one)

Primary 2U 12bay hotswap - 110TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD) Two 8TB Parity Drives

Using a Netapp DS4246 to get past my Server Case's 12 drive limit only just starting to populate it now

Secondary 3U 10 bay hot swap - 36TB Data Array, 1TB Cache pool (2x1TB SSD), 1 6TB Parity Drive

So guess if counting both im at 146TB total Array space and 2TB Cache space

Is the 3rd server still around? I'm looking for my second to house my smaller drives....

On 3/20/2020 at 11:00 PM, erichner said:

Is the 3rd server still around? I'm looking for my second to house my smaller drives....

I sold it and sadly the motherboard died shortly after 

On 3/9/2020 at 3:35 PM, Jeramie said:

150TB plus 14tb parity although i'm slowly replacing all the 8tb drives.image.thumb.png.02434fd389ac14230d7429664a728ca4.png

How did you get your free/used bars to look like that?

So my "toy" is Unraid server with 220TB of dual parity space IIRC. Sadly the unraid server at my house in the country with no internet (not even cell - current satellite does not count as internet --- i refuse to get it) i do weekend data dumps for my kid.

(A note on the internet - the local power company just got a grant and according to them I will have fiber to the house - BTW it is in the stix -  1gb to 10gb connection speeds synchronous... a hurry up and wait moment)

The system is a Dell PowerEdge T630 with 18 x 3.5 drives (mostly 14tb's) The unit is over 50% full.

I am going to add some hardware raid DAS when I have some time for another project. 

I have another UNRAID server in the works in the city (with internet :) ) it is smaller (10 drives in parity) but have not finished it. Threadripper based. Will attach pics when I have time

Posted (edited)

Right now I have 3 2tb drives and 2 3tb drives for 12tb total but I have one 3tb as a parity drive so really only 9tb and about 8.7ish after overhead and reserved space for a few things

Edit: I do hope to expand soon, just need more drives, I would like to get a few more 3tb and then take the 2tb drives out and use that for just messing around and trying to learn stuff on another machine that way if I screw it up bad I have nothing to lose

Edited by thedangerine

On 2/19/2020 at 5:46 PM, sdamaged said:

Really hope they offer this at some point.  I would jump on it.

EDIT - Just asked!

Instead of extra parity, I'd rather see multi-array support and/or Gluster-like functionality.

And after having done some reading on what Gluster does, I think I'd prefer that over multi-array.  Less chance of crashing everything at once if something dumb happens.