how do i avoid this rsync issue

comet424

ok I find  rysnc gives me this issue...  in the pic 

but if I run the command line  of one of the steps in my scripts it will ask me  yes /no  to add the server to the I guess authorization  file

then if I run my script it will run ok

how do I make it so I don't have to run the terminal and run it manually... how can I make it soo script will automatically authorize

the first rsync command I use is 

rsync -avzu -s --stats --numeric-ids --progress -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa -T -o Compression=no -x"  root@tower:/mnt/user/Documents/ /mnt/user/Mikes\ Files/Documents/ >> /boot/logs/cronlogs/Backup_Docs.log

unraid issue.PNG

like this ? 

yes:rsync -avzu -s --stats --numeric-ids --progress -e "ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa -T -o Compression=no -x"  root@tower:/mnt/user/Documents/ /mnt/user/Mikes\ Files/Documents/ >> /boot/logs/cronlogs/Backup_Docs.log

and not sure what ":" you using between yes and rsync   as yours different from what I just did.. but is that what I type

1 hour ago, comet424 said:

ok I find  rysnc gives me this issue...  in the pic 

but if I run the command line  of one of the steps in my scripts it will ask me  yes /no  to add the server to the I guess authorization  file

then if I run my script it will run ok

It looks like your known_hosts file does not contain the ip address and authorization key for the destination server as it should.  You are prompted to answer the question because it is not already authenticated as a known host.

You are running the same rsync backup script I am and a proper known_hosts is what prevents being prompted for the yes/no answer.

I assume you have something like this in the 'go' file of both servers?

# Copy SSH files back to /root/.ssh folder and set permissions for files
mkdir -p /root/.ssh
cp /boot/config/ssh/medianas_key /root/.ssh/id_rsa
cp /boot/config/ssh/known_hosts /root/.ssh/known_hosts
cat /boot/config/ssh/backupnas_key.pub > /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
chmod g-rwx,o-rwx -R /root/.ssh

my go file  is what I basically did from what you told me hoopster  

and this server is my sisters comp normally I send to it from my unraid.. but I been trying to do the reverse...  

this is the go file on her unraid

##Setup drivers for hardware decoding in Plex
#modprobe i915
#chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri
#chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

mkdir -p /root/.ssh
cp /boot/FromTower/sshroot/TowerKey /root/.ssh/id_rsa
cp /boot/FromTower/sshroot/known_hosts /root/.ssh/known_hosts
cat /boot/FromTower/sshroot/TowerKey.pub > /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

my my unraid server.. that I typicall going to upload to the to my backupserver and my sisters unraid  

that go file is this 

#?Setup drivers for hardware decoding in Plex
modprobe i915
chown -R nobody:users /dev/dri
chmod -R 777 /dev/dri

mkdir -p /root/.ssh
cp /boot/config/sshroot/TowerKey /root/.ssh/id_rsa
cp /boot/config/sshroot/known_hosts /root/.ssh/known_hosts
cat /boot/config/sshroot/TowerKey.pub > /root/.ssh/authorized_keys

#!/bin/bash
# Start the Management Utility
/usr/local/sbin/emhttp &

Make sure that after you say yes, copy the newly updated known_hosts file to your flash drive as it now contains the address of this new computer as a safe known host.  Then next time you reboot the server, have the go script copy this new known_hosts file into the root/.ssh folder.  Now you won't have the error any more and you can have the backup run by script in your /etc/cron.daily folder or weekly, or monthly or hourly if you really want with no need for keyboard entry. 

Your other errors about rsync unexpectedly closing the connection are an indication of network instability.  If you get it a lot, this is something either on your network killing things, or on the broader internet.  Between USA and China I see this sometimes on my daily backups in /etc/cron.daily  I don't worry as the next day /etc/cron.daily runs again and always self heals the backups.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, tr0910 said:

Make sure that after you say yes, copy the newly updated known_hosts file to your flash drive as it now contains the address of this new computer as a safe known host.  Then next time you reboot the server, have the go script copy this new known_hosts file into the root/.ssh folder.  Now you won't have the error any more and you can have the backup run by script in your /etc/cron.daily folder or weekly, or monthly or hourly if you really want with no need for keyboard entry. 

@comet424 What he said 😀

That is the issue.  known_hosts, when updated (this will only happen in RAM in /root/.ssh) after you answer 'yes' to authenticate the host, needs to be copied to known_hosts on the flash drive (/boot/.../known_hosts) so it survives a reboot.

@Hoopster  ok so I have to run the command first in terminal then copy it??

I did the command line... and then script works

but ok what changes in the  known_hosts file..  reason is..  I had this working before then I gave it to my sister the server.. then I had to refix  ip address and other issues unraid had.. and I brought it back on my network...had to also change usb key as she only had a trial  only had 15 days left on it when I gave it to her... so I copied it to a new usb  her to test it before she buys it  gonna purchase the 59 dollar one if she likes it  as her mini server is just 4 drives...

but does the known hosts save usb key or what does it save..

and I thought my go file copied to the root folder..as it was working a couple days ago.. I was rysncing…   but power went out and when it booted up  I wasn't able to rsync

also those other errors are probably the other rsync folders...  like what you showed me... what you did with yours

sooo since I wrote a story lol 

what do I have to change or do now to my go file if anything?  or how do I make sure it works... the emailing in the rysnc never worked for me which you have in your rsync.. I cant even get  Notfications in unraid to email me on errors ...

and then I have the other issues with rysnc not showing constant data transfer but im used to windows copying  and Freenas's  rsync which shows you current %done 

and still have issues with OpenVPN  locking out unraid when trying to connect to PFsense… 

trying to make it automated  so I can set it and forget it...  as  I wanna do it connect OpenVPN  ---->rsync (over internet) ----> close openvpn

but doing rsync over the network faster  right now  to back up everything...

still learning this stuff.. almost a year I been playing with unraid 

and after thinking about it and frustrated for unraid locking me out.. and  I posted in general and bugs

I think OpenVPN in unraid can only connect to OpenVPN on another unraid….. it cant connect to a OpenVPN server on a Pfsense machine to connect..

and then it mess's up unraid and locks out the entire machine till you physical shut it off

37 minutes ago, comet424 said:

posted in general and bugs

Why do you now have 4 different threads going about this? How is anybody supposed to know what has already been said in all the different threads? You haven't even linked them.

Crossposting has been considered a bad thing on message boards since long before the World Wide Web. It is impossible for people to coordinate their responses. People could waste a lot of time and effort just rehashing things that has already been discussed on the other threads.

I am on mobile right now. I will try to clean up this mess later. Please stick to one thread.

reason I have different posts as they are totally different topics

Rysnc with with the loosing Autghorization (this topic is different)

OpenVPN locking up unraid connecting to PFSENSE (in General and Bug )  is only one I did twice a

Rysnc OpenVPN with IF and ELSEIF statements is a totally different topic issue 

they are all different topics  so the need for Different threads as they issuing Different Issues...

and reason I posted in Bugs and in General.. is no one knows the Answer in General.. so I posted in Bugs to see if the Unraid Programmers could figure out

why OpenVPN  locks Out Unraid … is the only reason.. since I don't think Unraid Programers read the general  just the Bugs.. reason I asked in there  since no one knew the answer in General.. 

cuz how I supposed to know when to post in bug or general 

5 minutes ago, comet424 said:

no one knows the Answer in General

If you feel your thread hasn't gotten any results or any attention after a reasonable amount of time, just post again in the same thread. This will make it go back to the top of the unread threads. This is referred to as "bumping" the thread. Often people will simply post the word "bump" to bump.

8 minutes ago, comet424 said:

official  plugin 

There are no official plugins.

You can very easily get to the correct support thread for any docker by clicking on its icon and selecting Support.

You can also get to the correct support thread for any docker or plugin by clicking the support (?) icon for the docker or plugin on the Apps page.

2 minutes ago, comet424 said:

@trurl could you please move my question then  from general  to plugins for OpenVPN  since don't wanna get in trouble posting I don't see option for me to move my own message topic 

Is it the plugin, or the docker? I am on mobile right now and will have to wait until I can get to a mouse.