PSU recommendation

TODDLT

11 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

That's how I would read it too!!!   Each SATA outlet is limited to 40A.   And you REALLY don't want 40 amperes flowing down the wire used in any of those SATA connectors.   I would be tempted to use the "Multiple" position just to provide a bit of protection in case something really screwy happens.  (There have been a few cases where molded SATA power connectors have shorted out (manufacturing defects) and caused a fire (or fire-like conditions).

The 12v system is capable of 70.8 amps total, so it doesn't seem like this is a "true" multi-rail system (if I understand the terminology correctly).  70.8 amps total.  No more than 40 to any one rail, is just over-current protection, not a true division of the power by outlet.

I have left it in multi-rail for now and can't imagine 4 spinners would ever pull 40 amps (or boy is my power bill going up).

2 hours ago, Frank1940 said:

Try it with the switch in the other position...

In the interest of trouble-shooting I'm certainly willing to try.  You never know, however there are only two drives on that power cable and it's hard to imagine they are impacted by a 40 amp over-current protection.

58 minutes ago, andymiller said:

I noticed from your listed spec your pre-clears are on esata ports??

Is this still the case??? Have you tried pre-clearing the drives internally??

The two eSata ports are plugged into two of the MB main internal Sata ports.  It's just a matter of convenience to not have to open the case and move drives around until they have been cleared and usually I've gone through the unRaid replacement before doing it.  I don't actually have a spare drive slot inside so I'd have to pull a spare, then preclear, then replace, then go physically remove the old drives and put the spare back in.

See attached photo, this is what I have on the back of the case and have used to pre-clear a number of drives.  Do you think this extra cable in line could be causing an issue given I've done it a number of times in the past?

esata.jpg

• 1 year later...