boosting write speeds

jovdk

I'm new using unraid and have some questions regarding write speeds.

We are migrating to a new server and I tought of using unraid (now win server 2012)

but on my test unraid server I don't get speeds up to 400MB/s only around 100MB/s

Something I should have because thats the speed we have to the server now (10G nic in both servers and workstations and 3G backplane in old server vs 6G backplane in new)

Using the same type of drives, same nic only newer hardware

We do have a RAMcache on the old server but I dont find how I could do it in unraid

any advice?

Thanks

Unraid is not RAID. There is no striping. Typically write speed will be even slower than you experienced if you have parity.

Unraid sacrifices speed for other features, such as the ability to mix different sized disks, the ability to easily expand the array by simply adding more disks, and the fact that each disk is an independent filesystem that can be easily read on any Linux. So even if you lose more disks than parity can recover from, any disks that haven't been lost have complete files on them and can be read without any of the other disks.

Unraid storage was designed to be used as a repository for media files, backups, etc. Write Once, Read Many Times. Write speed isn't the focus of this design.

Unraid does support a cache pool, which can be a redundant array of SSDs (btrfs raid configurations), for data that needs to be written and read faster. And a process to move that data to the slower, larger capacity, parity array if desired.

• Like 2