Super slow VPN speed in Dockers and VMs.

l3gion

Hi all, 

Having an issue with the use of a VPN service with several docker containers and several VM, I can't seem to achieve any usable speed in any of when connecting through a VPN.

The VPN service is PIA, been using it for several years with no problems.

The normal connection speed through the PIA app on my windows desktop, Macbook pro or smartphone is over 100Mbps+, it can pretty much saturate my internet connection.

On unRaid is quite different, when installing the same PIA app in a VM of windows 10 and Ubuntu the maximum speed I can achieve is 20Mbps and in a Ubuntu server VM (followed Spaceinvader One video tutorial) which uses open VPN I get even less, 1Mbps.

Then on the Docker container side,  binhex-delugevpn, binhex-sabnzbdvpn, nzbgetvpn and binhex-privoxyvpn, then speed is also quite slow, in the Usenet containers, the download speed with the VPN on, is something like 130-180Kbps, the same with the privoxyvpn, when routing traffic through it the peed is just 1Mbps. But if I disconnect the VPN in Sabnzbd or Nzbdget, I get the full news server speed, 12Mbps+. Tried several option in Sab, SSL on/Off, different cache sizes, etc.

In Deluge, is a bit different, I can get like 3-4Mbps with the VPN, not amazing but better.

The hardware is,

CPU: Xeon E3-1245 V6

Mobo: Fujitsu D-3417 B2

Ram: 16gb DDR4 ECC (average ram consumption is 15%)

Cache disk; Samsung NVMe 970 Evo 512Gb

Anyone had this issue? Any idea what could be causing it?

Thanks.

Just updating on the situation.

Tried switching the VPN service in sabnzbd just to see if the VPN itself would be the problem, got an airVPN 3 days account to test, and when now connecting through it I get 11Mbps download speed.

Why would this be? Might there be an issue with PIA openvpn config?

Ok, after a whole day trying to figure this out, PIA is finally blasting out 14Mbps in sabnzbd.

So PSA:

When using PIA in your docker containers unlike you can see in Spaceinvader One videos, don't use the openvpn files from the link provided there.

Generate you own at: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ovpn-config-generator

GCM Encryption seems to work much better than the default CBC Encryption.

VPN-Settings.thumb.jpg.e780e460c1b1dbb74eb8a042f270fe08.jpg

I guess the problem was that the default one that the original openvpn files had the default RSA-2048 AES-128-CBC SHA1 encryption that was causing super slow speed on my dockers.

Super happy with the speed and setup now :D 

Hope I can help a fellow unRaid user with this.

@binhex, @SpaceInvaderOne

9 hours ago, l3gion said:

Ok, after a whole day trying to figure this out, PIA is finally blasting out 14Mbps in sabnzbd.

So PSA:

When using PIA in your docker containers unlike you can see in Spaceinvader One videos, don't use the openvpn files from the link provided there.

Generate you own at: https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/ovpn-config-generator

GCM Encryption seems to work much better than the default CBC Encryption.

VPN-Settings.thumb.jpg.e780e460c1b1dbb74eb8a042f270fe08.jpg

I guess the problem was that the default one that the original openvpn files had the default RSA-2048 AES-128-CBC SHA1 encryption that was causing super slow speed on my dockers.

Super happy with the speed and setup now :D 

Hope I can help a fellow unRaid user with this.

@binhex, @SpaceInvaderOne

yeah im aware of GCM being a better choice, its in the faq, link below Q7, also check Q6. for additional tips:-

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/44108-support-binhex-general/?tab=comments#comment-433613

i may amalgamate Q6 and Q7 together possibly, as they obviously are making a big difference for you (although this is normally only true for under powered hardware). 

• 4 years later...

Replying to an old thread but I am having a similar problem but with NordVPN set up as a "proxy server" in UnRAID and it is not the bandwidth but rather the "latency" when going to a new page that is the problem - bandwidth is 200MBit/s or more but each time I go to a new page it takes like 5 seconds until the page renders... Feels to me like it could be DNS that for some reason is EXTEREMELY slow. Any suggestions on what may be wrong?

10 hours ago, NAS-newbie said:

NordVPN set up as a "proxy server" in UnRAID

You can't make NordVPN (or any other VPN) a "proxy server" (expect you mean "reverse proxy")?

There are TWO (2) types of VPN:

ONE (1) is the type people are sold; like NordVPN, ExpressVPN, PIA, TOO many to mention...

TWO (2) is the type you setup to "fool" people that you're at home.

Two is free and One costs.

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear.

MrGrey.

Sorry for net being very clear - I use a container with privproxy and it accepts OpenVPN config files from any VPN provider like PIA, NordVPN etc. and as I mentioned it actually work (passes all leakage tests I have tried etc) so is ok from a privacy point of view but for some reason I see the mentioned latency problem when looking up new web pages and I assume the reason is some setup problem on my side and was hoping osmebody else have seen a similar problem and solved it or have some ideas how I can diagnose it...

Edited by NAS-newbie