Single GPU, no VM video

I'm having problems getting VM video to display in a single GPU setup (TR 1950x, GTX 1060).  I following SpaceInvader's video on dumping the VBIOS to use in the VM, but still can't seem to get video to display when the VM loads.  

GPU IOMMU group:

IOMMU group 33:[10de:1c03] 41:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 [GeForce GTX 1060 6GB] (rev a1)

[10de:10f1] 41:00.1 Audio device: NVIDIA Corporation GP106 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

Syslog shows this same error over and over again:

Feb 24 18:41:54 unRuss kernel: pcieport 0000:40:01.3: AER: Multiple Corrected error received: 0000:00:00.0

Feb 24 18:41:54 unRuss kernel: pcieport 0000:40:01.3: PCIe Bus Error: severity=Corrected, type=Data Link Layer, (Transmitter ID)

Feb 24 18:41:54 unRuss kernel: pcieport 0000:40:01.3: device [1022:1453] error status/mask=00001180/00006000

Feb 24 18:41:54 unRuss kernel: pcieport 0000:40:01.3: [ 7] Bad DLLP

Feb 24 18:41:54 unRuss kernel: pcieport 0000:40:01.3: [ 8] RELAY_NUM Rollover

Feb 24 18:41:54 unRuss kernel: pcieport 0000:40:01.3: [12] Replay Timer Timeout

Any ideas?

Edited by russdyer77

1 - downloaded & edited out portion that needs to be removed, probably worth popping into another PC and dumping from GPUZ to see if that does anything

2 - no, brand new Asus 1060 6GB model with HDMI

3 - yes, works fine when using VNC as video

4 - yes, video shows when plugged into monitor during BIOS & Unraid boot, continues to show video through unraid login (once I tell the VM to start, video goes blank and doesn't come back)

5 - yes, BIOS is up to date (AsRock Taichi X399 board has latest firmware 3.50)

I've tried the GPU in slot 1 and slot 3, same result.  I think my next logical move is to dump my own VBIOS using GPUZ instead of downloading from Techpowerup.  I hate to use up another slot with a cheap card for unraid, but may need to if that doesn't work.  

Any other thoughts?  

1 - downloaded & edited out portion that needs to be removed, probably worth popping into another PC and dumping from GPUZ to see if that does anything
2 - no, brand new Asus 1060 6GB model with HDMI
3 - yes, works fine when using VNC as video
4 - yes, video shows when plugged into monitor during BIOS & Unraid boot, continues to show video through unraid login (once I tell the VM to start, video goes blank and doesn't come back)
5 - yes, BIOS is up to date (AsRock Taichi X399 board has latest firmware 3.50)

I've tried the GPU in slot 1 and slot 3, same result.  I think my next logical move is to dump my own VBIOS using GPUZ instead of downloading from Techpowerup.  I hate to use up another slot with a cheap card for unraid, but may need to if that doesn't work.  

Any other thoughts?  

I don’t think number 4 is meant to happen.

Your GFX card is not meant to have any output until you start the VM.

Have you enabled iGPU in the motherboard? That basically tells your motherboard to use intels GPU.

Plug in something to the onboard HDMI port and make sure your BIOS/ unRAID boot is coming from there effectively leaving your 1060 available for your VM.

I think what’s happening is that your VM can’t be passed the GPU as it’s being used by unRAID.

Not sure, but I think this might be the case perhaps?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, yusuflimz said:

I don’t think number 4 is meant to happen.

Your GFX card is not meant to have any output until you start the VM.

Have you enabled iGPU in the motherboard? That basically tells your motherboard to use intels GPU.

No- this is expected.  If you didn't exclude the card at boot, then unraid will boot with that card for video and if the VM is booted with that GPU assigned, it will take over that card.  

He has a threadripper- so no IGP.

• Like 1