Looking for suggestions for upgrade to 24 or more drive server

FrozenGamer

I am running an lsi 9207-8e card with 2 cables plugged into 2 of the following Chassis's: https://www.servethehome.com/sgi-rackable-3u-16-bay-se3016-sas-expander-chassis-forum-deal/

What i am looking for is something rackmount style that can handle up to 30 drives, less is ok.  A decent power supply included.  I normally just run cable from a pcie express card so i can switch machines easily but leave all the drives in the chassis (all but the ssd cache).  It doesn't have to be quiet.  What i am looking for is something with faster throughput but all the simplicity of what i have.   Quicker parity checks and data rebuilds, 128 tb are 1 day 7 hours parity check, and i have seen up to a week for rebuilding 2 drives at the same time.  Used is probably best since it should come with most everything and be cheaper.  Price range - reasonable..  I don't mind spending some money.  $200-$1000 price range.  

I do have quite a few 8tb seagate archive drives which i am sure are a big factor in my speeds, but i would consider starting a new server with WD white 8tb drives shucked from easystores.  

I am pretty sure i don't want a tall tower with a bunch of 3x5 drive bay expanders in it.  Also i have a lot of experience building PC's but not a ton of experience with servers.  This would be running plex, sabnzbd,radarr,sonarr, maybe deluge. 

Any suggestions or examples on ebay of proven/often used large drive array hardware is appreciated. If there is something that comes with the mobo/cpu/ram etc it isn't completely out of the question. 

If I read your configuration correctly, it sounds like you are running 1 cable to each expander chassis.  It is hard to tell from the pictures in the post, but it looks like, and from the text in the post also indicates that there are only 2 ports on the expander chassis you have.

I might suggest just changing your chassis to one with FOUR ports to use for the linking.  2 Cables from your 9207-8e, to the input of the first new chassis, and the output ports on the new chassis to any additional external chassis...  The types of chassis I am talking about use the combined bandwidth of the two cables to increase the available data transfer speeds.  You can look at used 16, 24 and even 45 bay Supermicro chassis that are often listed on eBay and other places.

Such as the series that use the Supermicro CSE-PTJBOD-CB2 power board, like the 837E16-RJBOD1.  One seller of used equipment is usedserversoutlet, AKA Tams.  I have NO affiliation with them, but they are in my general area, so I often buy some of my toys there.

You also may opt for a larger all-in one server chassis, to again increase the data bandwidth per drive without needing to go to an external chassis, but it sounds like you have good reasons to NOT do that.