SSDs running hot

emmcee

Up until recently I had my server running as a very low power, low hear setup. It' sin my office so neeed to be silent, or as close to silent as possible. It was running with WD Reda for data and a SanDisk Ultra II SSD 480 GB as a cache drive. Drive temps stayed below 35 degrees and all was well. The system fan might just about spin up if there were a few Plex streams running, but that would be rare during the day.

I recently moved it to a rackmounted case and I picked up a couple of Crucial 480GB BX300 SSD's to run in RAID0. The problem is that since I swapped the Kingston for one of the Crucials, the SSD temp at idle is over 40 degrees and spikes to over 50 degrees under load, which causes the fan to run pretty much all the time.

Is there a reasonbly priced SSD that can run at cooler temps, or do most SSDs run hotter than before?

Edited by emmcee
7 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

50C is perfectly normal for SSDs after moderate to heavy writes.

Oh, totally - I'm not worried about the health of the SSD.

The problem is that it causes my fan to spin up and ruins my concentration. I need my server to run silently, or as close to silent as possible. Currently the system is idle and SSD temp is 43deg, system temp is 37deg and fan is 78%. With the old SSD the fan was 0% at idle.

Edited by emmcee

I'm using Auto Fan control plugin and the SSD is excluded in the settings.

The log file just showed this:

Feb 27 12:39:33 Tower autofan: Highest disk temp is 40C, adjusting fan speed from: FULL (100% @ 1577rpm) to: 175 (68% @ 1290rpm)

But all Array drives were spun down and the SSD is 45deg.

There are 3 unassigned drives, but none of them are mounted and none are showing any temp in the UI.

Edited by emmcee

OK - I think I've figured it out. AFC seems ot monitor unassigned drive temps (even if they are not mounted) and it's setting the fan speed based on that. Howeever, there doesn't seem ot be a way to exclude an unassigned drive from monitoring.

I'll powerdown later and disconnect the drive until I decide about adding it to the cache pool.

• 1 month later...

Looming at Grafna, it seems it hit 65deg C 3 times over the last 90 days. Not ideal, but still within spec for the SSD. I assume it will throttle if it gets any higher. 

It it would be great if we could set thresholds on each individual drive for warnings. 

It’s a new case, but airflow should be better as it’s much larger and the SSDs are beside a large vent. The old Kingston cache drive is still in there and is in and adjacent bay to the Crucial drives, but it idles 15deg cooler than the Crucials.