[SOLVED] Migrate VM to new disk, passthrough disk to VM procedure?

I currently have a Windows 10 VM installed on an SSD inside a vdisk that spans the whole SSD. I have an unused NVMe SSD of the same capacity. I want to migrate my Windows install to the NVMe SSD such that it's not on a vdisk and just the NVMe SSD itself (think bare metal install). Is there a documented procedure for this sort of operation? Would this be as simple as cloning the vdisk onto the NVMe SSD and then creating a VM to boot from that?

Thanks for any input!

Edited by Liam_Galt

If it really is a vdisk image file, than the install is just a single file, copy it where you will...

Then just edit the VM you have and point it to the new location for the file...  Easy...

Running:

fallocate -d <filenamegoeshere>

on the file will "Dig" the zero's out of the image, and make it take both less space and less time to copy, but up to you...  And as always, I recommend doing a backup of the file first, because it is hard to go wrong with that one...

If you want the Windows install directly on the NVME and not inside a vdisk, passthrough the NVME controller first to the VM inside the vdisk and let it install the drivers for the controller. Without you won't be able to boot from the drive later. After that all you need to do is use some sort of cloning software to clone your windows install to the NVME. Most manufactures provide you a free tool to migrate to an NVME, this should work. Another option would be to boot into an Acronis boot image for example to clone the disk or I think Easus partition master alsa has a cloning feature build in.

I actually figured out how to do this, so I'll post a quick write-up in case others wonder about this.

Warrentheo: I wanted it to be installed to the NVMe itself, not inside a vdisk on NVMe :)

bastl: What you suggested is more or less what I did.

My process for this was:

1) Attach NVMe to Windows VM as PCI device and boot into Windows.

2) Download/install some sort of disk cloning software. I used AOMEI, but EaseUs or software provided by manufacturers (e.g. Samsung) should work just as well.

3) Convert NVMe from MBR to GPT if necessary and if software doesn't do this automatically for you.

4) Clone Windows "disk" (really the vdisk but Windows of course sees it as just a disk) onto NVMe.

5) Shut down VM + Unraid.

6) Choose NVMe device as boot device when booting -> should boot into Windows no problem. Do any bare metal type config that you want here. Make sure to get UUID for drive (see: https://youtu.be/fnIn6GnA87c?t=675)

7) Boot into Unraid. Create new VM as described in SpaceInvaderOne's video (from the timestamp linked above).

Edited by Liam_Galt
  • Like 2
  • 1 year later...