Advise moving current server to Virtualizing

Hello,

I setup a new unraid server about November, 2018 everything has been working great apart from needing to virtual machine a Windows Server 2019 just for active directory/domain services only.  Server is running 2x250GB M2 RAID 1, 6x 8TB 4 Data 2 Parity.

Now my problem is I cannot utilize this VM correctly, as to join the Active Directory on SMB it has to shutdown the Array which stops the VM's from running so the domain is unavailable.   I've been thinking about this issue and I believe if I setup Proxmox and moved unraid into a VM and moved Windows Server off unraid into Proxmox this should resolve any issues I'm having.

Now my question is can I migrate unraid into a VM, without having to start over or am I going to have to copy all the data off and rebuild the array?  I was thinking of adding another SSD RAID 1 just for Proxmox.

Thank you.

6 hours ago, uldise said:

no experience with Proxmox, but i'm running both my unraid's with success under VMWare Esxi. Keep in mind, this config is not supported..

Do you think it would be possible to move ot VMWare Esxi without having to redo my array, can I just move over and pass through the raid controller?

Thank you.

Edited by LawsReporting