Nested Virtualization support Virtualbox

Friis

Hello

I have attempted to run Virtualbox in my VM, only to not be able to boot the nested VM. I have asked for help in support forums, but maybe its because its a "missing feature". So here is my feature request for nested virtualization support Virtualbox.

Virtualbox added nested virtualization support in their version 6.0.

24 minutes ago, Friis said:

Hello

I have attempted to run Virtualbox in my VM, only to not be able to boot the nested VM. I have asked for help in support forums, but maybe its because its a "missing feature". So here is my feature request for nested virtualization support Virtualbox.

Virtualbox added nested virtualization support in their version 6.0.

Unraid already supports nested virtualization. 

https://forums.unraid.net/topic/40927-nested-virtualization/?tab=comments#comment-420127

Edited by saarg

When I read guides. They appear to be focused on VmWare, which have had this support for years.
About 3 month ago, Virtualbox have gotten this feature. It doesn't seem to talk well with unraid. An error box about memory read appears.

So I don't think its a "Nested Vitualization support" but a "communication between different nested virtualization software support".
I am unable to start a 64bit nested VM.

5 hours ago, Friis said:

When I read guides. They appear to be focused on VmWare, which have had this support for years.
About 3 month ago, Virtualbox have gotten this feature. It doesn't seem to talk well with unraid. An error box about memory read appears.

So I don't think its a "Nested Vitualization support" but a "communication between different nested virtualization software support".
I am unable to start a 64bit nested VM.

Unraid uses kvm, so any limitations is libvirt/qemu. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

I am having trouble with Virtualbox on a Windows 10 VM.  I have manually enabled nested VMs BEFORE starting my Win10 VM with the following commands:

modprobe -r kvm_amd
modprobe kvm_amd nested=1

but nested Virtualbox VMs hang at their bios pages.  None of them successfully boot.

Can I get a little help please? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020/4/11 at AM12点20分, mkfelidae said:

我在Windows 10 VM上使用Virtualbox遇到麻烦。  使用以下命令启动Win10 VM 之前,我已手动启用了嵌套VM 

但嵌套的Virtualbox VM挂在其bios页面上。它们都无法成功启动。

请给我一点帮助吗? 

Have you solved your problem? I found a problem with nested virtualization in 6.8. 

• 2 weeks later...

I am trying a similar thing with VMware Workstation

Windows 10 VM > Kali Linux VM and I get

VMWare Win10-Kali.jpg

I already did these steps after stopping VM's and disabling VM Manager:

First, from command line, type the following:

modprobe -r kvm_intel

Then type this:

modprobe kvm_intel nested=1

Edited by a_bomb
add vm manager part and organize picture
  • 4 months later...

I know this is an old thread but I'm having major issues with this in 6.9 running on a Threadripper cpu.

I've tried everything and no combination of nested hypervisors will work under unraid. I've tried vmware workstation and virtualbox running on a windows 10 vm. I've tried esxi 6, 6.5 and 7 running in an unraid VM, and even tried running KVM inside a ubuntu vm. No matter what the combination or settings (cpu host-model / passthrough, etc) it always crashes the 2nd level vm and those cpu cores shoot to 100%.

I tried adding     <feature policy='require' name='svm'/> between the <cpu> tags and then i dont get the vmware workstation error about AMD-V but the guest still crashes the host.

I really wish there was a solution to this. I know there's only a few of us trying to do this but being able to spin us multiple ESXi instances for labbing vmware is really important to me.

7 hours ago, jjooee said:

I know this is an old thread but I'm having major issues with this in 6.9 running on a Threadripper cpu.

I've tried everything and no combination of nested hypervisors will work under unraid. I've tried vmware workstation and virtualbox running on a windows 10 vm. I've tried esxi 6, 6.5 and 7 running in an unraid VM, and even tried running KVM inside a ubuntu vm. No matter what the combination or settings (cpu host-model / passthrough, etc) it always crashes the 2nd level vm and those cpu cores shoot to 100%.

I tried adding     <feature policy='require' name='svm'/> between the <cpu> tags and then i dont get the vmware workstation error about AMD-V but the guest still crashes the host.

I really wish there was a solution to this. I know there's only a few of us trying to do this but being able to spin us multiple ESXi instances for labbing vmware is really important to me.

The problem seems to be with windows support, there was an insider build in the last few months that apparently addressed the issue, but not sure if it entirely solved the issue for everyone (it didn't work for me when I briefly tested).

Some details and links in here:

I think I finally got it working. I did try the newest windows insider preview build but that didn't help my specific issue. Today I updated from 6.9 beta 25 to beta 29 and while that created a few new issues i'll have to deal with (vnc broke for all vms, plex transcoding) it seems to have fixed nesting in ryzen, or at least with Zen 2.

I created a new vm using an existing windows 10 image that was a fresh install. This instance does not have the insider preview build with the new hyper-v nesting support. I was able to use host-passthrough for the cpu, OVMF, i1440fx-5.1 with no manual modifications to the xml and its NOW WORKING!

I have vmware workstation pro 15.5 installed in the windows vm running an instance of esxi 6.5 running inside that. Going to install a few guest vms inside esxi now and see if it'll continue to nest without any issues. This is a GAME CHANGER for doing esxi labs under unraid.

If this all works out in the windows vm i'll go back to trying a straight esxi 6.5/7 guest directly on unraid which will end up being my real lab environment.

• Like 1

Great,

i got ur pm too :)

i dont know what they have changed to make it work, (qemu update, maybe)

beta29 and beta30, nested vm in windows vm is working,

prior to beta29, the whole unraid would just freeze when try to enable hyperv or run any vm, (including the android emulator)

no script change is needed.

• Like 1