Linux server as a VM

I am trying to install Unbuntu 18-04-2 Live server into a VM as I want to play around with Linux commands and stuff, but I am having issues in getting the VM created so that I can install the ISO.

the areas I am not sure on are the following.

CDRom Bus

Primary Vdisk

VNC Video Driver

etc

so I have taken a screen show of my settings. in the hope that someone can help me out.

Capture.thumb.JPG.981d51a81814316b70df849aed086c9a.JPG

Capture.JPG.d6b22316e7c27253e93cce26a3844069.JPG

if the above is right, I have also tried to install it,

I have set the Keyboard and region to UK

I then choose the Install Ubuntu option

Ok to the DHCP of the IP

Ok to the proxy, and the mirror Proxy

and here is where I am also having a issue

then I choose Entire disk, , I am show my disk, but I am not able to highlight it and choose OK

Capture.thumb.JPG.0a16dbfba0f02f19471c3bec931a7116.JPG

what am I doing wrong.

I bet your 1GB vdisk is to small to install Ubuntu on. When first creating your VM choose the right amount for the vdisk like 10G or 30G for 10GB or 30GB. 

image.png.cc57b2fa7d16bb97c0fdabd71dea2a4d.png

You don't have to create a new vdisk. Shutdown your VM and click the name of the VM and you can expand the size here. Change the value for capacity and you should be able to install Ubuntu. Small hint, never decrease the capacity this way or you will break the VM. The defaults in the settings should be ok. And better don't choose the first core and it's HT cause it's always used by Unraid.

image.thumb.png.20a28c4dc98472b252568b8440e62b4b.png

28 minutes ago, Warrentheo said:

You might want to look into and consider:

https://hub.docker.com/_/ubuntu/

It bypasses a lot of the issues with running in a VM, and allows for better performance, but is not perfect for all use cases, so look into it...

I had a look at this. And i think i understand this. To use it all i have to do is open a terminal and paste the follow command

RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y locales && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/* \ && localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 -A /usr/share/locale/locale.alias en_US.UTF-8 ENV LANG en_US.utf8

Did i understand this right.

13 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

I had a look at this. And i think i understand this. To use it all i have to do is open a terminal and paste the follow command

RUN apt-get update && apt-get install -y locales && rm -rf /var/lib/apt/lists/* \ && localedef -i en_US -c -f UTF-8 -A /usr/share/locale/locale.alias en_US.UTF-8 ENV LANG en_US.utf8

Did i understand this right.

That sort of thing you run from inside the Ubuntu container, getting the container working in the first place is just a couple of "Docker" commands...  Unfortunately no one has made a template that makes it link into UnRaid easily, so if you are not familiar with Docker then the VM way is probably best...  You will get better performance and have a smaller footprint however if you run outside of the VM environment...

45 minutes ago, chris_netsmart said:

Then it looks like i have to read up on docker creation

To be honest, so do I...  There is alot more you can do with it than what I am currently doing...

If you happen to have an NVidia card, and want to pass it into the docker container, you might want to read up on this one: