[Plugin] Parity Check Tuning

13 minutes ago, itimpi said:

I’ll think about it, but I am not convinced it would not just end up complicating the settings page without much benefit for the majority of users.   You could achieve the same effect by slightly tweaking the increment pause/resume times so that each increment can run a little longer.

It would be extra complicated because the percentages would take longer and longer to run as the disks get slower. The time duration to do the last 25% will be substantially longer than the first 25%.

As you said, the best bet to complete in 4 days is adjust the time ranges.

21 minutes ago, BRiT said:

It would be extra complicated because the percentages would take longer and longer to run as the disks get slower. The time duration to do the last 25% will be substantially longer than the first 25%.

I must admit I had not yet considered that :(  Now that you mention it there is also the fact that if you have different size drives in the array then the speed of the check can vary as each drive size reaches the inner tracks making it even harder to predict how long any particular percentage might take.

possible bug  in this parity checking ...

so i been experiencing  parity pausing..  didnt happen in 6.9  and i installed it when it was like 6.5 or so unraid version been a couple years... i set it up for ever 3 months parity checking.. now in 6.10  and it was scheduled to run  3 days ago  has taken 3 days..

it seems to have glitched...  i asked help in the discord and they pointed me to its the plugin... and there is a glitch as it only really runs for 15 min...  so they recommended me to post in here...  as i only ever edited the top section which i never changed from a couple years ago or so

parity 2.PNG

parity.PNG

parity 3.PNG

@comet424
According to your screenshot 15 minutes is what you have it set for :)

Resume time = 00:15

Pause time = 00:30

You would actually have gotten 30 minutes in the first increment which started at 00:00 until the pause time of 00:30 was reached, but 15 minutes in subsequent increments.

On 6/4/2022 at 1:34 PM, itimpi said:

I’ll think about it, but I am not convinced it would not just end up complicating the settings page without much benefit for the majority of users.   You could achieve the same effect by slightly tweaking the increment pause/resume times so that each increment can run a little longer.

Yeah I'll just let it run for an hour longer for now. Thanks!

1 minute ago, VKapadia said:

Yeah I'll just let it run for an hour longer for now. Thanks!

Definitely the way to go.    You may have seen the earlier comments about how using a percentage is unlikely to be the way to go as speed varies at different parts of the check so increments would be of variable length.

ya so they figured it was a glitch in one of the upgrades..   that some how the defaults when added changed over..  as it didnt happen in 6.9  only in 6.10  

cuz it was frustrating...    i saw it start parity..  and then it was pasued at 2.2% then i resumed it at 9am  and then next day saw it paused again ....  always something...  

so ill disable. it.. but it was frustrating didnt know what was going on...  lol

oh i tried the default button.. i guess  default is  00:15 for resume  and 00:30 for pause..  as i turned it off  ... and save.. and when i clicked default button.. it enables ti as 00:15  for resume and 00:30 for pause..    is that normal ?  i turned it off anyways..  as it takes 25 hours to do a parity check  so once every 3 months to check   i ok with it.  

but i figured i ask   maybe it was a bug it defaults like that...    🙂 thanks for creating the plugin  i really like how i can run a check every 3 months to make sure everything is working 🙂

@comet424

Strange - I will look again at the defaults - that is not what I thought they were :(   

There was a change in how I handled defaults within the plugin a few plugin releases ago so perhaps the issue is just that you recently updated the plugin as that change was independent of the version of iOS you were running.

Have you now set explicit start/stop times ?

thats what the unraid discord chat one said maybe the defaults are over riding or what not if you dont update.. as i know  unraid updates all plugins dockers at like 3 am...  but i didnt experience this pause till i upgraded to 6.10.x    didnt have issue all year last year for 6.9  just was running the every 3 months parity check..  and odd times you know when unraid crashes or what not and when you boot up  and it starts running  parity  check takes 25 hours or so..  only last few days  it with its parity checking has it paused

i not sure what you mean by explictiy start stop times...  if you mean that pause resume never touched that i just set parity schedule to no..  i just used to doing it that way.  get it over and done with  i just a simple home user..  so i just let it run its 25 hours and boom when it passes it passes...   but i never touched the other settings 

but if you click "Default"   it re activates the scheduler to "Yes"  and leaves it to 15 and 00  b

but ill test it now...  change the settings to see if it defaults...

update..

ya so if i change the times..  to like 00:55  resume  and 16:30  for pause as an example and click save.. (it throws me an error it doesnt like that 16 )  i skimmed the error..

when i click Defaults   it goes back to 00:15 resume and pause 00:30  and clicks yes  for scheduler on

Edited by comet424
36 minutes ago, comet424 said:

and i only upgraded to 6.10.1 last week and a few days ago to 6.10.2  couple days after that 6.10.2  showed up on the top bar browser  for new version of unraid

Just set the settings as you want them and hit Apply.    That will save them as set.   Defaults only apply if there are no saved settings.

ya i tried setting  different times  and i hit apply.. to save it.. and i also disabled it.  turned off scheduler

but....

even though its saved

when you hit "Default"    it re enables   "scheduler" to yes and changes the time to   resume "00:15"  pause "00:30"

but i just re turned it off  hopefully the updates dont turn it on next time lol  as i probably forget  to check to see if it got re enabled 🙂

hopefully tonight ill finish my parity check.. only been 3 days lol

oh and a suggestion..  

if you hit "Default"   it shouldnt  enable the defaults and "save/apply"  at the same time..   it should be  just fill in the default  and not save...

that way you can "load" the defaults make changes before you hit apply.. where default applys the default settings and saves them at the same time of clicking

when i was playing with the settings  here to give you this.. it actually paused my parity check.. lol  i just hit resume again lol

Edited by comet424
10 hours ago, comet424 said:

oh and a suggestion..  

if you hit "Default"   it shouldnt  enable the defaults and "save/apply"  at the same time..   it should be  just fill in the default  and not save.

Unfortunately it is not that easy :(  The defaults button is a recent addition added at user request and by saving immediately the results as the new 'active' settings it was easy to implement.   Delaying saving the settings would take quite a lot of additional code for not much additional benefit.  Since once set most users rarely change the settings it does not feel urgent.

I am going to change the default setting for the Pause time back to something more reasonable for the next plugin release.   It used to default to 03:30 so that increments completed before Mover ran but somehow when I was reworking code internal to the plugin the default for that setting got accidentally changed.  Now that the plugin has the option to automatically pause while Mover is running (another recent addition) I may instead default it to something like 06:00 as that feels more like what most users would prefer and makes the default increment longer thus reducing the number of increments to complete a check.

At he moment the default for enabling the plugin (Use increments for scheduled Read Check:) is Yes on the basis that new users almost certainly want it enabled.   I could change it back to No which might make some sense as that would force new users to at least got to the Settings and make a change thus saving the currently displayed settings as the active ones.   Happy to have feedback on whether that is a good idea.

ah ok..  reason i asked .. is    sometimes you just like  hit defaults..   same with the dynamix fan speed.. you click detect  but if you dont like the settings .. you just hit F5 refresh the page and nothing is saved..   same with defaults where you hit default button..  but it doesnt do any writting to the system.. where it just fills in the Fields  you choose.. but you still have that "Apply" button on the left...  i didnt realize it takes addition code.. ya if its harder to do never mind.. was suggestion is not have the default button populate and save in the same button press..  cuz there is no undue if you wanted to try to see something and hit the default button and boom its already saved..  incase you hit it you didnt like it and u just went off the page.. and boom its already hard coded..

but needing to hit the "Apply"  would then save it..  so nothing  is permentant  till that "Apply" 

or   least at a "Warrning"    "Warning - Pressing Default Will  Force a Save of the Default Settings And Activate.  So Make sure you double check from leaving this page.. When you set it and forget it"

something like that   just how i see it as thats saved me on windows and on here    where you gotta do it in 2 steps to save not once.

so what time does the mover come on?  i never use it as i just home user  so i never use a cache i just write to the array.. but sometimes id like a cache drive..  just not cheap enough for a throw away later kinda thing

for the  default yes to activate scheduler...  i got 2 suggestions .. since maybe not all new users are business users 

just home user for there regular stuff

1.  have a warning stating "New And Old Users..Double Check... Times On and Off Parity check would run.. As its Defaulted On As Soon as you Press Default or Apply.." 

2.   have a warning stating "New And Old Users You Must Choose Yes on the scheduler and Hit Apply to activate Parity Pausing at the desginated Times..  Default also  Activates but also saves the default settings..."

something like that..  as myself i not beginner but little higher..  cuz i know more warnings would help..   heck i didnt even know what was happening and i never changed anything all i did was let unraid update pluggins ever day and did the unraid os upgrade..  had to find out what was going on in discord..

but these just some suggestions on the view of a home user that backups etc.. so i dont need parity pausing..  

but if you pause parity checking?  does that just  screw things up if you pause then you do alot of writting to the array for ur business..  shouldnt it restart from the the start.. to do a proper parity?  what happens if something happens to the first 40 percent say..

ya love alll these features.. i came from using windwos home server 2003 and 2011 but since they stopped doing it..  i had to find other solutions.. really like unraid..  i guess freenas is for faster speeds but i really  hate the jails and stuff like that and plex didnt work right.. so it was worth paying for unraid.. for these great plugins and ease of use..  

5 minutes ago, comet424 said:

but if you pause parity checking?  does that just  screw things up if you pause then you do alot of writting to the array for ur business..  shouldnt it restart from the the start.. to do a proper parity?  what happens if something happens to the first 40 percent say..

Unraid parity is real time so there should not be a need to go back unless the system is misbehaving

8 minutes ago, comet424 said:

so what time does the mover come on?

it runs on at whatever time you schedule.   The default is I think 03:40

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, Squid said:

What does this alert mean???

image.png

Additionally, the OS itself didn't think that the shutdown was unclean (at least no parity check was started - will investigate that separately)

That message is not meant to occur with the latest version of the plugin!   There was a bug that could result in that in an earlier release if the plugin thought a shutdown was untidy but got it wrong.  It was meant to be an informative message when a parity check was going to be automatically started by Unraid, but because Unraid did not do so the text is not sensible.  It is not critical as it does not indicate the plugin is actually going to take action.

If it can still occur then I would need a syslog with Testing logging mode active in the plugin to work out why.  

could it make sense to be able to run the mover while the parity check is paused?

currently this does not seem to be possible.

If have set "Pause array operations while mover is running" to "yes". Not sure what exactly "array operations" means. Does "array operations" mean "parity check" ?

I think its not great to run the mover while the parity check runs, but it might be OK while the parity check is paused.

Is this possible with the current version of the plugin?

If not, does this idea make sense at all and would you put it on your roadmap?

Edited by b0m541
3 hours ago, b0m541 said:

If have set "Pause array operations while mover is running" to "yes". Not sure what exactly "array operations" means. Does "array operations" mean "parity check" ?

It means array operations such as parity check, read check, parity sync, rebuild

3 hours ago, b0m541 said:

I think its not great to run the mover while the parity check runs, but it might be OK while the parity check is paused.

Just start mover and after a short delay the plugin will detect that mover (assuming you have enabled the option) is running and will pause the array operation and then resume it when mover finishes.

On 7/4/2022 at 2:12 PM, itimpi said:

It means array operations such as parity check, read check, parity sync, rebuild

Just start mover and after a short delay the plugin will detect that mover (assuming you have enabled the option) is running and will pause the array operation and then resume it when mover finishes.

I don't think I made it clear that this does not work as proposed: see attached snapshot

dammit.thumb.png.0e0e701777de4084a2434aaffc15b71e.png

This is what I meant. How can I start the mover?

19 minutes ago, b0m541 said:

This is what I meant. How can I start the mover?

Is the move button in settings scheduler move options enabled. Function was added in 6.10 to disable that button if parity is running.

That is done by stock unraid not the plugin.

Edited by SimonF

Being able to manually start a Mover session from the GUI while a parity check is actively running is outside the remit of this feature as I have no control over the manual Mover button being disabled :(  This feature is intended to work the other way around and pause a parity check if it detects mover running.

The prime use case for this feature is for when a scheduled overnight mover starts while a parity check is running as this is a not atypical setup.   The secondary use is when you have initiated a manual mover session and then a parity check is started.

You could amend the times for a scheduled check to simulate the mover button being pressed, but that seems a bit obscure.   It should also be possible to issue the ‘mover’ command from the command line although this is not something I have ever tried.