[Plugin] Parity Check Tuning

There has been a report of this plugin breaking standard system permissions somewhere when it is installing?   I cannot see this on my system so I would be grateful if someone who has this problem could post the output of a

ls -l 

command at all levels of the path /usr/local/emhttp/plugins/dynamix/plugins.  If there is an issue I would think it would most likely show up at the / or /usr levels.

First one at / level

root@Bebbuli:/# pwd
/
root@Bebbuli:/# ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root  3820 Feb  2 18:32 bin/
drwx------  11 root   root  8192 Dec 31  1969 boot/
drwxr-xr-x  16 root   root  4020 Feb  8 09:49 dev/
drwxr-xr-x  63 root   root  3300 Feb 10 08:17 etc/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root    40 Nov 20 16:27 home/
drwxr-xr-x   3 root   root     0 Feb  2 18:34 hugetlbfs/
lrwxrwxrwx   1 root   root    10 Nov 20 16:27 init -> /sbin/init*
drwxr-xr-x   8 root   root   160 Jan 19 14:13 lib/
drwxr-xr-x   7 root   root  3940 Nov 20 16:27 lib64/
drwxr-xr-x  16 root   root   320 Feb  7 07:55 mnt/
drwx--x--x   3 root   root    60 Feb  2 18:34 opt/
dr-xr-xr-x 838 root   root     0 Feb  2 18:31 proc/
drwx--x---   3 root   root   180 Feb  3 12:35 root/
drwxr-xr-x  20 root   root  1040 Feb 10 09:00 run/
drwxr-xr-x   2 root   root  5380 Feb  2 18:32 sbin/
dr-xr-xr-x  13 root   root     0 Feb  2 18:31 sys/
drwxrwxrwt  14 root   root   360 Feb 10 15:44 tmp/
drwxrwxrwx  14 nobody users  340 Feb 18  2019 usr/
drwxr-xr-x  14 root   root   340 Jan  9  2017 var/

root@Bebbuli:/# cd /usr/local/
root@Bebbuli:/usr/local# ls -l
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   60 Feb  2 18:31 bin/
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users 320 Feb 18  2019 emhttp/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   40 Nov 24  1993 etc/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   40 Mar 15  1994 lib/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root   root   60 Jul 25  2022 lib64/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root  700 Feb 10 08:17 sbin/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root   root   60 Jul 25  2022 share/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   80 Nov 20 16:27 src/
root@Bebbuli:/usr/local#

1 hour ago, itimpi said:

I have just pushed a new release that should fix the permission issues reported as introduced in the last release.  In would welcome confirmation that this issue really IS fixed.

Same here

Edited by csrihari
  • Upvote 1
21 hours ago, aim60 said:

plugin: downloading: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/itimpi/
parity.check.tuning/master/archives/parity.check.tuning-2023.02.10.txz ...
failed (Invalid URL / Server error response)

Can you please try again.  It should be looking for 2023.02.11.txz - it seems that somehow the .plg file was not updated correctly on gitHub and that should now be corrected.

Hi. I scheduled parity check for the first time, with "Use increments for scheduled Parity Check" enabled,

and "Write corrections to parity disks" set to to "Yes".

This morning I got a notification that "[Juno} paused Scheduled Non-Correcting Parity Check (3.2% completed)".

Why does this notification says "Non-Correcting"?

On 2/18/2023 at 8:44 AM, Gico said:

Hi. I scheduled parity check for the first time, with "Use increments for scheduled Parity Check" enabled,

and "Write corrections to parity disks" set to to "Yes".

This morning I got a notification that "[Juno} paused Scheduled Non-Correcting Parity Check (3.2% completed)".

Why does this notification says "Non-Correcting"?

I would turn incremental off, I enabled it, and when my monthly parity check was running it kept stopping (as expected) but then it completely freaked out, saying it couldn't write to the disk etc (new disk, cleared and all that), and unfortunately killed all the data forcing me to rebuild from parity. I do have parity so I didn't lose anything but be warned that something may not be completely stable here. Have a backup. 

i think the Problem is after last Update:

i Canceled parity auto check that run on 1 day this month ,4 days ago ...

but then every day on morning when server start i have message 'unclean shutdown detected' , but no parity run. bu im checking nothing is running in console befor shutdown the server at every night. and was no problem befor week maybe.

So today in morning its run parity check becose unclean shutdown and i didnt canceled it.

but at end i have 1 error found , what does this mean?

didnt have errors befor ...

image.thumb.png.d76b62aa281fa13ccac91453cff5eb59.png

24 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

i think the Problem is after last Update:

i Canceled parity auto check that run on 1 day this month ,4 days ago ...

but then every day on morning when server start i have message 'unclean shutdown detected' , but no parity run. bu im checking nothing is running in console befor shutdown the server at every night. and was no problem befor week maybe.

So today in morning its run parity check becose unclean shutdown and i didnt canceled it.

didnt have errors befor ...

image.thumb.png.d76b62aa281fa13ccac91453cff5eb59.png

After Parity Problems Assistant on error sector :

image.png.1922ff61849b18343f9b25e28f3e6c41.png

1 hour ago, Masterwishx said:

As far as I know that simply means an error - why I have no idea.  It could be a spurious one or it could be genuine - no way to tell.  It is not unusual to have a small number of errors if there has been an unclean shutdown,

It surprises me that in the screen shot you posted the type of check is not shown since you have the plugin installed.  

57 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

After Parity Problems Assistant on error sector :

image.png.1922ff61849b18343f9b25e28f3e6c41.png

That suggest to me that it was OK at that address - if by any chance the previous check had been correcting that is what one would expect.   Not had a lot of feedback from people using the Assistant so not really sure how definitive it is in the real world although it seems fine in my testing (but there I had to simulate errors rather than having hardware that might be throwing genuine errors).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, itimpi said:

As far as I know that simply means an error - why I have no idea.  It could be a spurious one or it could be genuine - no way to tell.  It is not unusual to have a small number of errors if there has been an unclean shutdown,

OK got it, Strange that not fixed by full parity check but then fixed by partial parity check...

13 hours ago, itimpi said:

It surprises me that in the screen shot you posted the type of check is not shown since you have the plugin installed.  

this was not full picture :), is what you mean ? , also have it in discord ...

image.png.7ff1da019342c4a9f3026966c857d765.png

The strange thing is , today i have also unclean shutdown and started parity at morning ?!?

like i sad before, i turn off server every night off (checking console for nothing running like mover or etc ... only in this case i was have unclean shutdown and parity started) but now I have every day unclean shout down and starting parity check?!?

what or where i can check to fix it?

Edited by Masterwishx
2 hours ago, Masterwishx said:

only in this case i was have unclean shutdown and parity started) but now I have every day unclean shout down and starting parity check?!?

If you are attempting to do a tidy shutdown then this tends to mean one of two things:

• The array is not stopping properly.  You can try manually stopping the array before doing the shutdown to see if there are any issues in this area.   Sometimes the shutdown timeouts need increasing as described in this section of the online documentation.
  • The flash drive is having issues and Unraid is having problems writing back to the flash the fact that it has managed to stop the array successfully.   To investigate this I would suggest enabling the syslog server to gets logs that survive the shutdown/reboot process.  

The logs that the plugin generates when the "Test" mode of log is active with the option to save the test log to flash might allow me to give you a indication about the second as well if it covers the shutdown and reboot process.  

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, itimpi said:
  • The logs that the plugin generates when the "Test" mode of log is active with the option to save the test log to flash might allow me to give you a indication about the second as well if it covers the shutdown and reboot process.  

Thanks for the help , i have already syslog but only in local logs share and found last commands was:

image.png.79a3184659f43388c9777c8f76eafd23.png

its looks like before when was no unclean shutdown, having 90s in disk setting for 

Shutdown time-out, it was enough, but will check it more in deep ...

also was interesting , Cumulative parity check working only if server don't have shut downed ?

if i remember correct increments lost after shutdown for parity checks ?

Edited by Masterwishx
29 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

also was interesting , Cumulative parity check working only if server don't have shut downed ?

if i remember correct increments lost after shutdown for parity checks ?

Yes if using the option built into Unraid.

If instead you use the plugin options to handle the increments and also set the option to restart array operations in the plugins then it can continue from point previously reached.   However you need to resolve this reason you are getting unclean shutdowns as for safety reasons the plugin will not restart array operations after an unclean shutdown.  I might one day think about revisiting this decision but I at the moment am erring on the side of safety.

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, Masterwishx said:

Thanks for the help , i have already syslog but only in local logs share and found last commands was:

Not sure if you catch everything if logging to a share as this will stop as soon as Unraid starts unmounting any drives.    You might get a bit more information if you are instead using the option to mirror to the flash drive , or if the syslog server is running on another machine.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If instead you use the plugin options to handle the increments and also set the option to restart array operations in the plugins then it can continue from point previously reached. 

Oh ,i used plugin but forgot to set (Resume array operations on next array start) ... back then :)

49 minutes ago, itimpi said:

Not sure if you catch everything if logging to a share as this will stop as soon as Unraid starts unmounting any drives.    You might get a bit more information if you are instead using the option to mirror to the flash drive , or if the syslog server is running on another machine.

OK i will try to check with flash also .

Edited by Masterwishx