USB Ports Behaving Strangely After Reboot

Hi all,

I've been running the Unraid trial on version 6.7.0-rc4 for a couple weeks now with no issues. I have a handful of Docker containers, an Ubuntu VM, and a Windows 10 VM on a passthrough disk. This afternoon I tried to setup a Fedora VM. The machine created fine, but it hung almost immediately after starting. Upon noticing that it was hung, I tried to force stop it in the GUI. That spun for a while, at which point I refreshed the browser only to find that the web gui service appeared to have crashed since it would not reload. At this point I decided I couldn't do anything but hard reset.

Once I rebooted is when everything went weird. As I said above, the system has been stable for several weeks and has gone through its share of reboots (mostly clean through the UI, one power outage). This time however, rather than rebooting into Unraid, it rebooted directly in the Windows system on the passthrough drive (it's never done this before). I restarted a couple more times, and each time it went into the Windows system. I unplugged the SSD that Windows is installed on, and rebooted again. This time I get an error to insert a bootable disk. I'm finally able to get into the BIOS, at which point I see that the system isn't seeing the UNRAID drive at all. I checked the drive using my MacBook Pro, and it was able to read normally and everything seemed to be in the correct place. 

Over the course of several reboots, I noticed several things:

• The BIOS would occasionally recognize the flash drive, but more often it wouldn't. I moved the drive around to several ports, and it was a crap shoot on whether BIOS would recognize it.
    • Even when BIOS wouldn't recognize it, Windows would boot, and Windows can see the flash drive.
  • On the occasions that BIOS would recognize it, I was able to set it as the boot device. However on restart I would get the no boot device error. Going back into BIOS the device is no longer showing up.
  • I created a new flash drive on my Mac, but that isn't recognized either.
  • I was able to get Unraid to boot once (I had all of the SATA drives disconnected, not sure if that is just a coincidence), however it hung on a message saying "waiting for /dev/disk/by-label/UNRAID" for a while. It ultimately still booted, but didn't work. After shutting down to reconnect the SATA drives I get the boot device error.

I also tried several BIOS fixes including restoring defaults, rolling back to earlier versions, and upgrading.

If anyone has any ideas of additional troubleshooting steps to take I'd greatly appreciate it.

- Steenbag

Full Specs:

Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth X79

RAM: 48GB DDR3

Proc: 2.7 Xeon E5-2697 12 core

Array: 3x-4TB HGST Ultra Stars (2+1 Parity)

Cache: 2x-256GB Samsung EVO SSDs

Passthrough: 1TB Samsung PRO SSD

• 3 years later...
3 hours ago, BurntTech said:

should I create my own thread or use this one?

Since this thread has been dead for over 3 years you can have it, but you need to more completely describe your specific problem.

3 hours ago, BurntTech said:

The current fix is for me to boot without USB stick

This doesn't make sense. What does it boot into without the Unraid flash drive?

Also, attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

Diag might not work so well since the System doesn't boot/post. I fear this is Bios Related or USB stick? This used to work I thought but is there any UNRaid ways to valid USB Stick?

M/B: Micro-Star International Co., Ltd. PRO Z690-A DDR4(MS-7D25) Version 1.0

BIOS: American Megatrends International, LLC. Version 1.00. Dated: 09/14/2021

CPU: 12th Gen Intel® Core™ i5-12400 @ 2475 MHz

• 1 month later...

nas-diagnostics-20220812-1631.zip

So the only thing I can think of is there some weird bios setting. Since the RAID cards won't start because it looks like post halts unless you do something with the USB stick. Here are some of the options that been tested. I think I'm down to dumping BIOS options or creating a new USB install.

If I move the USB to any port that isn't the one that it last booted from it works until the next reboot.

if I remove the drive completely it boots but you need to plug the usb drive back in.

If you just power off or restart the same post halt happens and just a black screen. It is a rendered black screen as the monitor stays lit until you power off.

Is there an option for using a SSD instead of this USB drive yet? 🙂

Edited by BurntTech
context
27 minutes ago, BurntTech said:

nas-diagnostics-20220812-1631.zip 220.65 kB · 0 downloads

So the only thing I can think of is there some weird bios setting. Since the RAID cards won't start because it looks like post halts unless you do something with the USB stick. Here are some of the options that been tested. I think I'm down to dumping BIOS options or creating a new USB install.

If I move the USB to any port that isn't the one that it last booted from it works until the next reboot.

if I remove the drive completely it boots but you need to plug the usb drive back in.

If you just power off or restart the same post halt happens and just a black screen. It is a rendered black screen as the monitor stays lit until you power off.

Is there an option for using a SSD instead of this USB drive yet? 🙂

I suspect you have fastboot enabled in tbe bios. I have a z690pro ddr5 which had a similar effect with it enabled.