6.6.6 high sysload, diags unable

I'm at 6.6.6 and have been for a while.  Today I had an issue where the GUI became unresponsive, and then the shell did. 

There have been no updates to plugins or docker containers in the last three or four days, and everything has been running OK until tonight.

Last thing I did was:

# cp -Rv /mnt/disks/ssd/* /mnt/user/backups/ssd-3-4-19

largely in order to backup my 'appdata' directory.

This command ran fine for hours (appdata is huge thanks to Plex's inefficiency) and, when I came back to check on it, the shell was fozen (^C had no effect) and the GUI was too.  I was able to ssh in a second time and 'htop' would not work (blank screen after execution).  Another ssh session, 'top' wouldn't work, blank screen.  Another ssh session, 'uptime' showed a sysload of 49 across the board.  'ps -ef | more' hung (waited 10 minutes and it didn't display anything).  Now 'reboot' has also hung, I got the system going down message but the system is still powered on and I can still ssh in (GUI is inop, array is down).

At this point I'm going to simply cross my fingers and pull the plug, and cancel the subsequent parity check.

'diagnostics' also had no effect, I waited almost 20 minutes and it never completed.

High-Water, 750gb min free, automatically split as required, include all disks, export nfs private r/w to the other unraid server, export smb private with only me having r/w access.

ETA I just manually cp'd the rest of /appdata with zero issues, I presume my use of recursive verbose on the initial command with the 99,999,999 deep plex directories is what blew the system up.

Edited by tucansam