Hardware - CPU Hyperthreading

Amaityard

Hi all,

I am looking for help regarding a VM build that I am planning on doing with Unraid in the near future. The use of the computer will be for one gaming machine and one general use machine, with the only difference being the GPU.

I have found out what hardware that I am planning to use (https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/q7XFNQ) other than the CPU which I am stuck on. I am currently deciding whether to use the i7 8700K or the i7 9700K and am slightly confused regarding the hyperthreading capabilities.

The i7 9700K doesn't have any hyperthreading, yet it has 8 Cores and 8 Threads. The i7 8700K has 6 Cores and 12 Threads and does have hyperthreading enabled.

My question is if I went for the 9700K, then would I only have the choice of 8 Cores to split up between the 2 systems or would I have 16 to choose from, as I assume that with the 8700K that I would have a choice of 12 cores to choose from due to hyperthreading enabled (however that would limit each system to 5 cores and then Unraid to have 2 Cores) and I was just wondering if anyone who has much more knowledge on the matter could possibly help me?

Thanks in advance

20 hours ago, Amaityard said:

The i7 9700K doesn't have any hyperthreading, yet it has 8 Cores and 8 Threads.

With this CPU you would have 8 threads to allocate to unRAID/VMs.

20 hours ago, Amaityard said:

The i7 8700K has 6 Cores and 12 Threads and does have hyperthreading enabled

With this CPU you would have 12 threads to allocate to unRAID/VMs. Though I believe that if you are going for best performance the recommendation is to not split thread/hyperthread pairs between VMs. So you might be better off doing 6 threads (gaming), 4 threads (general), 2 threads unRAID. Or maybe dont dedicated any threads to the general use VM and let it and unraid share.

Note: I have no direct knowledge of either of the processors mentioned above, my answer is based only on the information you provided about their core count and hyperthreading capability.

Edited by primeval_god