PCI-e Sata expansion card

I'm looking for a SATA expansion card that doesn't use a Marvell SATA controller. My motherboard has a Marvell SATA controller. I had tried using an expansion card with a Marvell controller and it caused conflicts with the controller on my motherboard preventing my system from booting. Anybody else have an issue like this? I'm thinking this card, https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ST9CPND, would do the trick.

If you need more SATA ports, I recommend you go for a SAS card and break out cables (sas -> 4 SATA connectors). Ideally two SAS ports giving you up to 8 SATA devices. However, this allows you in the future to use the card for SAS back planes. There are plenty of Dell (LSI) cards out there for not much money. I picked up mine on EBay for about $40 with 2 break out cables. I use to have PCIe SATA card (4 ports) but occationally, they generated CRC errors with fast disks (SSD).

My $0.02...

Martin

• 3 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

No, the M.2 port is SATA, not PCIe

You are absolutely correct...my bad for not looking hard enough at the connections first.

But I think either is good in its own right for unraid connectivity and controlling SATA.  Yes?

5 minutes ago, ClawSS said:

But I think either is good in its own right for unraid connectivity and controlling SATA.  Yes?

Yes, all indications are that controllers based on the JMB585 chipset (also the 2 port version JMB582) work reliably with Unraid, I have one for a few months.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, iDJMic said:

I only have PCIe x1 slot available is there a card I can use that is compatible anyone can recommend?

With PCIe x1 you can really only get a 2-port SATA card. 

Look for something based on the JMicron JMB582 or ASMedia ASM1061 controller chip.  There are some from Syba, IO Crest, etc.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 4:46 AM, JorgeB said:

See here.

On 9/21/2015 at 10:47 AM, JorgeB said:

JMicron JMB585 PCIe gen3 x2 (1970MB/s) - e.g., SYBA SI-PEX40139 and other similar cards

2 x 570MB/s

3 x 565MB/s

4 x 440MB/s

5 x 350MB/s

Ah thank you so much. Does this imply that 350MB/s per drive for the JMB585 should pose no real world issues if I'm only dealing with JBOD 5400RPM HDDs? I'm building a server that I will likely use for the next 5-10 years and down the line I'd like to add 10GbE networking for transferring files in and out of the SSD cache, but my understanding is that 5400RPM HDDs in non-RAID/stripe wouldn't even be able to keep up with something like 350MB/s limit imposed by the controller unless I switch my entire array over to maybe 15k SAS drives or SSDs?

For reference, I usually see these drives write speeds at ~125MB/s copying between my 5400 spinners in an external USB-C DAS, so I assume there's no real world issues on either reads or writes if connecting them to a controller that can only handle 350MB/s max per drive.

Also is this 350MB/s speed only applicable if all 5 drives were being accessed at the same time? Would it be significantly faster if I was only writing to 1 drive at any moment in time?

Edited by DrivePool9015
  • 2 weeks later...