Do old motherboards have a drive limit?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

I have an unraid server running 13 drives. I have bought 2 more drives to add to the system. But it is only detecting one of them, and I'm not sure why.

Do older motherboards actually have a limit of 14 sata drives? I was hoping to not upgrade the whole system until I was ready to go 4k, as it works fine as it is currently.

Here is the setup. My case supports 20 drives, I've got 16 of them wired up right now.

One row only has 2 drives in it, and I have one cable running for that whole row, so I know they should all be good to run.

Any thoughts?

Here are a few pics. Not really sure what you'd need to see. 

MVIMG_20190306_055300.jpg

IMG_20190306_055302.jpg

10 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

There can be a limit on on many drives are detected in the bios, including not being able to select the correct boot device once past a certain number of devices, but all drives should still be detected by Unraid (if able to boot).

Yeah, the system is up and running right now. I have one of the new 10 TB drives doing a preclear on the drive before adding to the array. 

But more drives won't even show up in the unassigned devices section. 

1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

Currently it's detecting 13 disks plus one SSD, assuming the undetected disks are on the second SAS2LP the more likely explanation is you're using the wrong miniSAS cables being used (reverse instead of forward breakout) or using disks with 3.3v SATA pin disable.

There are 14 disks installed and 1 SSD. 3 of the HD are going to 1 card, but it's only detecting 2 of them. 

8 disks are going to the other card. And the other 4 are going to the sata ports directly on the board.