cache died dockers not working

That is a very, very old version of Unraid. Probably you have some other things very out-of-date as well so I don't know if the normal advice applies.

Normally you can use the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page to reinstall any of your dockers exactly as they were. Of course without the appdata you will have to have plex rescan all your media since it will be starting from scratch.

Do you have Notifications setup to alert you immediately by email or other agent when Unraid detects a problem? Do you have any SMART warning indicators for any of your disks on the Dashboard page?

Maybe you should post your diagnostics so we can take a look and make sure you don't have other problems you have neglected.

Ok ill look at updating. There is nothing in the previous installed apps. I do not have any notifications setup. The cache was pretty new. Its a Corsair SSD they are going to warranty it out. I have another ssd now in its place. Ill set up notifications and i guess there's a docker to auto backup my cache drive? i need to look into the cache drive because i don't know much about setting them up honestly. I attached what i hope is the diagnostics youre looking for. Thanks for your time

whoshouse-diagnostics-20190307-1557.zip

5 minutes ago, carlos28355 said:

Ok ill look at updating. There is nothing in the previous installed apps.

The settings for your dockers are stored on flash and that is where Previous Apps gets it from. So if you haven't lost anything on flash they should be there. Maybe after you upgrade Unraid and get your plugins up-to-date it will work.

There is also a plugin to backup your docker appdata, which is the most important thing. If you hadn't lost that then Plex would still know all about your media after you reinstall it.

The main thing I wanted to look at in your diagnostics was the health of the rest of your disks, and they are OK. Maybe after you upgrade we'll take a closer look at some other things if you have any trouble setting up again with a new cache. The diagnostics on the newer versions are a lot better to work with and give more information.

ok so i updated the os to 6.5.3 but prior to that i guess i pressed move on the scheduler now my cache drive is almost full?? what did i do? maybe that has nothing to do with my cache being filled up. in all honestly I've tried reading up on the cache and the way to set it up and it just went over my little head... still nothing with installed apps. when i go to docker it says i need to delete the docker.img file

whoshouse-diagnostics-20190307-1648.zip

Edited by carlos28355

ok i think the cache is being filled up so quickly because my shares have prefer turned on for the cache. I reckon i need to turn all of them off is this correct? also from my understanding I can use the cache to put new data on to it and it then moves it to one of my shares automatically? 🤐

2 hours ago, carlos28355 said:

i updated the os to 6.5.3

6.5.3 (it is nearly 9 months old now) diagnostics don't give as much information as those in 6.6.6 or 6.6.7. And some of the information that would help me sort out which shares are on which disks are not in those diagnostics you posted.

You rebooted before taking those diagnostics, so I can't see anything in the syslog that happened before the reboot.

2 hours ago, carlos28355 said:

ok i think the cache is being filled up so quickly because my shares have prefer turned on for the cache. I reckon i need to turn all of them off is this correct? also from my understanding I can use the cache to put new data on to it and it then moves it to one of my shares automatically? 🤐

Mover moves cache-prefer shares from array to cache, and it moves cache-yes from cache to array. It ignores cache-no and cache-only shares. So in order to get anything moved off cache you must set them to cache-yes temporarily.

You should keep appdata, system, and domain shares as cache-prefer, because they belong on cache. You want them on cache. If they were on the array your dockers accessing their working files would be affected by the slower writes to the parity array. And your dockers would keep parity and array disks spinning accessing their working files. So keep them on cache.

After setting the others to cache-yes, run mover. If you were on a newer version of Unraid I could tell how successful you were getting things moved where they belong from another diagnostic, but we can get the same information from screenshots.

ok sorry i did the update through the webgui and it took me to 6.5.3 ha..ill do it again.. I'm trying to move the data from cache that shouldn't be there then ill update the OS again. I think the system asked me to reboot after the update? sorry i don't know what im doing. its just nice when it works haha

There seem to be a lot of extra .cfg files in the config folder on flash. These look like settings for some user shares, but those should actually be in config/shares. And according to the shares folder in the diagnostics, none of those shares actually exist anyway. Any idea how these extra .cfg files might have ended up there?

It doesn't look like you even have a system or domain share, which is where things would normally be setup for your dockers and VMs. There is an appdata share though. And it looks like appdata is where you have it configured to put your docker image, which is not standard but is just fine. I don't have a system share myself since I setup my dockers before some of these standards were invented.

Other than that it looks like the shares you do have are setup correctly and are on the correct disks.

Just to double-check, go to Shares - User Shares, click the Compute All button at the bottom, wait for the results, then post a screenshot.

I have no clue why there are extra .cfg files. Ive had unraid since i think about 2010 so who knows what I've done through out the years sorry haha.I do not have an answer nor do i know what a system or domain share is lol. 

currently waiting the results of the compute all for the shares. thank you

50 minutes ago, carlos28355 said:

nor do i know what a system or domain share

They are just user shares, named system and domain. They are the default shares docker and VM manager use. And by default they are set to cache-prefer, as is appdata. These are just conventions though and you can set things up without them just fine. I don't have them either.

• Like 1

i couldnt figure out how to screenshot everything without 9 shots so i recorded it. does this help? 

Aside from getting my dockers/plex working again i want everything set up properly so if i have to move folders/files from the flash drive ill be willing to do so. I don't want to go through this again so ill find the docker to backup app data and ill get another ssd to run with cache 

Edited by carlos28355

Yes that's fine. Actually it looks like those extra .cfg files in config are just copies (perhaps not up-to-date) of those in config/shares. The system only looks at those in config/shares but it is fine to leave those others there in config. And there are other .cfg files in config that do belong there so just leave it.

Looks like everything is where it belongs. Your docker image is configured to live in appdata, which will work fine. Libvirt is configured to live in system, which you don't have, but if you ever enable it would get created. Not sure if it would be created as cache-prefer or not though since the default for user shares is cache-no. If you don't intend to enable VMs it's a moot point.

So I guess you are ready to set plex and whatever up again.

What about this?

On 3/7/2019 at 3:51 PM, trurl said:

Normally you can use the Previous Apps feature on the Apps page to reinstall any of your dockers exactly as they were. Of course without the appdata you will have to have plex rescan all your media since it will be starting from scratch.

Your diagnostics indicates you are still running a very old version of Community Applications. You should update to the latest then see if Previous Apps lets you reinstall plex.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

In Settings - Docker, change your vdisk location from /mnt/cache/appdata/ to be /mnt/cache/appdata/docker.img

Then enable the system, and hit the apps tab, previous apps section

i found a docker.img on another disk  transferring to cache currently going to take like 6 hours is that normal? its already on the server wonder why its going to take so long....anyways im transferring to the location that server is looking for. im an hour into the transfer is this a waste of time? my thought was since it wouldn't let me recreate it i was going to put it there since i found it elsewhere and then was going to try and either enable or see if it would delete and recreate it....again i just need to know if this is a waste of time and i should just do what youre telling me to do?

*Ok i decided to just do what you said because i was annoyed that the transfer would take that long and it was just a lame theory of mine....theres nothing in previous apps but if this works that doesn't bother me ill just setup plex again...🤞🤞

Edited by carlos28355