Home central rig and how to solve cable length

Altaran

Hello everybody!

I'm currently running over two years UnRAID on desktop PC, 2 HDD, 2 SSD, just Dockered rTorrent, PLEX and 2x VMs, passtrought GPUs. Nice little setup for me and mine wife. Now I'm trying to think off new setup, since new house is being build.

Basicly it should be rackmounted server, with 2-4 passed GPUs to VMs. Main trouble is distance between server room and desktop spaces. I'm pretty sure all cables will be like 20m+(66ft) length.

Every desktop requirements are as usual, 1x(2 would be lovely) HDMI 2k(4k), USB3, atleast 2 channels audio, microphone.

So far I'm in situation, where best solution is HDMI-over-ethernet/IP (no 144hz for me..), USB extenders, separate audio cables which need lot of cables, lot of boxes and AC/DC adapters.

Still im wondering, if there is something like all-in-one box with HDMI, USB3, audio, connected with another one by fiber patchcord/thunderbold fiber cord.

Did you guys solved same problem? How did you face it? Whats our opinions, recommendations, etc.?

Probably the most elegant solution with the best performance latency wise- is to get separate hdmi and usb over IP adapters.  Many of them don't need power and since the hdmi can handle the audio also- you are really only talking about 2 cables to each station- plus power for the monitor(with speakers).  My wife and I game on a 4 headed setup with another couple and I just went the long cable route since I am only 40ish feet from the rig.  I tested some adapters but didn't have enough cat6 to get it where I wanted- seemed to work well latency wise with a GB switch.  Let me know what you end up going with- and what your performance is like- I may go that route in the future.

2 hours ago, Altaran said:

Still im wondering, if there is something like all-in-one box with HDMI, USB3, audio, connected with another one by fiber patchcord/thunderbold fiber cord.

Yep, an option is connecting via a single thunderbolt + thunderbolt hub on your endpoint.

Older vid of linus setting the same thing up for his personal rig, I'm sure you'll have better cable routing 🤣

7 hours ago, jordanmw said:

Probably the most elegant solution with the best performance latency wise- is to get separate hdmi and usb over IP adapters.  Many of them don't need power and since the hdmi can handle the audio also- you are really only talking about 2 cables to each station- plus power for the monitor(with speakers).  My wife and I game on a 4 headed setup with another couple and I just went the long cable route since I am only 40ish feet from the rig.  I tested some adapters but didn't have enough cat6 to get it where I wanted- seemed to work well latency wise with a GB switch.  Let me know what you end up going with- and what your performance is like- I may go that route in the future.

Still there is 60hz limitations? And how you separated audio on monitor side? With monitor itself?

Maybe is better to choose non-ip, just over dual cat. That should have less performance impact.

6 hours ago, tjb_altf4 said:

Yep, an option is connecting via a single thunderbolt + thunderbolt hub on your endpoint.

Older vid of linus setting the same thing up for his personal rig, I'm sure you'll have better cable routing 🤣

Seems that's a way to go. Sadly the cost of optical thunderbolt + dock.... Omg.