Adding an SSD into a mechanical array

I am toying with the idea of adding a single 2TB SSD into an array of 15 8TB mechanical drives.  Basically, I'm looking to have access to a high-speed (for reads, anyway), parity-protected device.  I already have a 2 disk, 1 TB cache pool, but I would like to keep this disk out of that mix.

Is this a Bad Idea?  And if so, is an Unassigned  Device the way to go?

6 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

As long as you only need better read speeds it's fine, good idea to run a few parity checks after adding it (make sure after a few reboots also) to make sure the SSD garbage collection doesn't affect parity, it shouldn't.

Thanks!  I'll give it a go (although my parity checks take in the 17 hour range these days).

I still haven't decided if this is going to work the way that I want, but I want to see this idea through, anyways.

I added a 1 TB SSD to my rig and used unassigned devices, passing it through directly to my Windows 10 Gaming VM.  Otherwise for array operations I use the caching, have 2 512GB nvme drives in a mirrored pair.  The only thing I keep on my array is media so playback from spinning disk is fine.