E-2146G + Supermicro X11SCM-F passthrough GPU?

I'd like to try passing through the GPU to either a docker or a Windows VM so that I can use Plex transcoding and or Blueiris acceleration. I am running 6.6.7

Reading through the various guides.

modprobe i915 returns straight back to the command line.

the /dev/dri directory doesn't exist

Here's the output of lspci | grep VGA
06:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 41)

Which I think is the IPMI. I am using the IPMI.

In the bios the gpu is set to "Internal"

Any pointers on what to try next?

Cheers.

Try reading the second page of this thread. There's a bit of talk about BIOS settings and kernel options that people have had success with. I just picked up an X11SCA-F (ATX version instead of M-ATX) but I haven't had a chance to test this out. 

Edited by cheezdog

Thanks, I upgraded the bios to 1.0a. The bios is the old text bios, not a graphical one.

I installed Windows 10 to see if the GPU worked, and the Intel display adapter doesn't appear at all. Only the ASPEED one appears.

I've raised a support case with SuperMicro to ask how to enable the GPU under Windows.

Arrgh! Supermicro has replied and said this MB doesn't support Quicksync! Which means I've wasted my money.

I thought that as long as the chipset supported it, and the CPU, then it should work. Is there any way I could tell from the spec page that it wouldn't support it?

https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/X11/X11SCM-F.cfm

Any suggestions on a board with IPMI that will work with this CPU and support GPU passthrough?

Interesting. I didn't notice the lack of video support for the x11scm-f until I compared the specs with the ATX sized x11sca-f. I assumed there were only minor differences between the two.

If you look at the specs for the x11sca-f: https://www.supermicro.com/products/motherboard/X11/X11SCA-F.cfm , you can see it states support for intel UDH P630 graphics. (Item 5 and under the 'Video Output' specs) I would take the lack of these statements on the page for the x11scm-f to indicate it doesn't support on-chip video. Certainly not stated very clearly, for sure.

If you have the space for an ATX board, you might look into the x11sca-f as several others seem to have it working. I'm still piecing mine together but I purchased the MB and e-2146g based on their success.

Thanks Cheezdog, I did look at that board, but I didn't like that the IPMI was shared on the LAN port. The SCM board has a dedicated IPMI and 2 x LAN.

This wouldn't be too much of a problem I guess because I could drop a 10G card in there. Can I still do this and use both NVMe slots? On the SCM board then there is only 1 PCI-E slot.

I'm going to ask a basic question now. I am most likely to want to plug in a 10Gig network card and a card to increase the number of SATA ports. I'll also want to use both m.2 nvme slots. There are 2 big slots on that board (PCI-Ex16)? Can I plug the cards into those slots?

Yeah, if you use both m.2 slots, then you will lose that PCIeX4 slot. The other two slots can be configured as either 1 PCIeX16 or 2 PCIeX8 slots. The second m.2 slot will turn off the U.2 slot, which you may or may not care about. If you have plans to have 2 SATA controller cards, then you might want to look at the Gigabyte C246-WU4 instead. It has more PCIe slots available. However, if you use both m.2 slots, you will lose one SATA port on the Gigabyte mobo. Since it has 10 SATA ports on the mobo, this probably won't be that big of an issue.

Edited by smeep2k4