Okay here is what I am working with I have

• 3 - 4tb wd red
  • 2 - 4tb wd blacks
  • 1 - 1tb samsung 860 evo ssd
  • 1 - 960gb pny cs900 ssd
  • 1 - 500gb wd blue ssd
  • 4 - 128gb intel ssd
  • 4 - 120gb pny ssd

I have this all laying around and I am unable to fit it in my "main" server. Don't have any more room in the case.

I currently have it in all in a server right now but just not happy with the performance... read/write (128MB) using the SSDs as a unraid setup.

The server is.

Motherboard - Supermicro - X8DTL

CPU - 2 - Intel Xeons L5640

RAM - 96GB

I have this server connected to a 10gb link and its not even coming close to using the full link.

Any ideas on what I can do to make the performance better or connect it to my main server to make it run faster?

wonder.PNG

It's difficult to get great performance using SSDs in an array, because of how parity works and the lack of trim, you can get much better performance with a btrfs raid5 cache or unassigned pool, I'm using one with 11 SSDs and get pretty much line speed with 10GbE, but note that btrfs raid5 still has some issues, mostly the parity hole, so a UPS is strongly recommended.

You could also utilize a separate RAID controller and run R5, 6, or 10 with the SSD’s and utilize that array as an unassigned Drive.

On one of my servers, I have a 12-disk array with 3 ssd Cache on LSI megaraid utilizong fast path and cachecade, and in addition, I also have an 8tb ssd array with fastpath. Then for UnRAID Cache, I have 2 2tb nvme’s. 

That’s an option.

On my new UnRAID server, I’m testing out a hybrid array. I’ve got a 2tb Samsung SSD as parity, with 12 500gb SSD’s, 12 2tb seagate barracuda’s, and two 1tb NvME’s for Cache. It certainly limited by parity, doesn’t reach 10gbe speed, but it does reach 450MB/s transfer, which is good enough for its use case.

21 minutes ago, Dr. Ew said:

You could also utilize a separate RAID controller

If anyone reading this chooses to pursue this option, keep in mind that you would need a hardware based RAID controller, specifically a model that has drivers already loaded in unraid. Kind of a rule of thumb, if the controller is a current model and costs less than a couple hundred US$, it probably won't work well or at all.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

If anyone reading this chooses to pursue this option, keep in mind that you would need a hardware based RAID controller, specifically a model that has drivers already loaded in unraid. Kind of a rule of thumb, if the controller is a current model and costs less than a couple hundred US$, it probably won't work well or at all.

What is your RAID controller of choice?