would this work

your isp connection is 1000/1000mbps

you have a unraid server with modern hardware and full 7200rpm drives ironwolf pro/wdgold

utilize full pro key with 28 data drives and 2 parity. 

only run plex/emby dockers with possibly some other plex/emby related dockers. no sonarr/radarr/usenet ect. tautulli would be an example of a docker with the plex docker

2 share, tv and movies

because unraid has a performance disadvantage compared to others, but you have the ability to mix and match different drive types, sizes, ect. could one fully saturate your isp connection when using plex/emby?

I am thinking of also adding a gpu to the setup. 3 raid cards+onboard sata and a gpu means I need a motherboard with at least 4 slots to fit everything.

I don't understand what you're asking. What is the significance of having a gigabit Internet connection and 7200 rpm disks as you don't need either to run an Unraid server successfully? Are you planning on installing the server at some remote location and only accessing it via a VPN?

4 hours ago, John_M said:

I don't understand what you're asking. What is the significance of having a gigabit Internet connection and 7200 rpm disks as you don't need either to run an Unraid server successfully? Are you planning on installing the server at some remote location and only accessing it via a VPN?

the plan was this, have a unraid machine that just runs plex/emby and stores all the media with gpu transcoding, if needed the server could potentially creature the isp connection. Currently my isp isn't even close to this speed but in the future who knows.

If I use current hardware/drives and take the performance hit unraid has can I saturate this connection?

I know other systems like ZFS and the like can do 10gbps but at the cost of having to have it all at once and not expand as needed like unraid.

I am using my 2nd key I got a long time ago to set this up. New everything from case to hard drives.

its also do I save up and use freenas to fully utilize my isp connection or can 

found this 

the 12TB IronWolf Pro we're testing today provides 250 MB/s and the 2TB delivers just 195MB/s

with 1000mbps ~ 125MB/s this everything should work. My orignal thought was unraid--->switch---plex server----back to switch then network/internet. By combining both unraid and plex server like I have now the data transfer in the machine should be able to handle a lot more.

trying to get the best performance using some stuff I have aleady and expand/upgrade my nas as needed.

Edited by anylettuce

You can easily saturate a gigabit Ethernet link copying a file from an Unraid server to your PC. So presumably you could also saturate a gigabit Internet connection. However, Plex doesn't need anything like that kind of bit-rate to deliver its content. Standard definition DVD rips max out at around 10 Mb/s. High definition Blu-ray rips at around 40 Mb/s. UHD Blu-ray rips at around 128 Mb/s. So you could serve multiple streams without any problems.

I'm not sure what this performance hit that you mentioned twice refers to. Unraid doesn't stripe data across disks but, as I've illustrated, it doesn't need to in order to do what it was designed to do. It can read a file at the speed of a single hard disk, which is more than enough to saturate a gigabit network and to deliver multiple media streams. Traditionally, writes to Unraid have been slowed down by the read/modify/write process of keeping parity synchronised in real time but with the introduction of the reconstruct write method that has been largely mitigated.

You mention the ease with which additional storage capacity can be added to an Unraid array. Other advantages include the ability to spin down currently idle disks, the fact that each disk has a standard complete file system that can be read in the event of catastrophic failure in any Linux computer. If you suffer more concurrent disk failures than you have parity disks you only lose the data on those failed disks. You can use disks of different manufacturer, capacity, speed, connection technology and file system format in the array.

I hope this goes some way towards answering your question. To be honest, I'm still not really sure what you're asking as the ability to fully utilise an Internet connection that you don't currently have seems to be your biggest concern.