6.6.7 Change of hardware - array not starting

Hello, 

this is my first real issue for quite some time now. Unraid does not let me start the array. It stops at (starting array ->mounting disks).

I just had a change of motherboard, CPU and RAM, but it worked on the other computer i changed from. I went from an AMD system to Intel.

It booted correctly after the change of HW, and I do think i remember that it startet the array because I used Krusader and rclone to move som files to the cloud (Jottacloud). Then I powered down the server.

I´m a newbie when it comes to Linux so some help with diagnostics would be great. I can think of two possibilities right now. There might be something wrong with the termal paste because it shows 127 degrees all the time (or I use the wrong CPU-sensor, or it reads the sensor wrong), or that the time and date is not correct.

I tried to change the time and date manually, but its not doing anything.

When I check the folders on the disks everything seems to be where its supposed to be.

actila-diagnostics-20190311-1951.zip

14 minutes ago, Dreamfault said:

When I check the folders on the disks everything seems to be where its supposed to be.

By this do you mean you can access your user shares?

14 minutes ago, Dreamfault said:

It stops at (starting array ->mounting disks).

Where do you see this?

The diagnostics looks like your disks are mounted and the shares are accessible. If that is a message you see in the webUI then maybe it just didn't update the message after it finished. Did you try refreshing or closing and opening the browser again?

Yes, that is correct. I can access my shares in the "Shares"-tab, and I can see the files on the disks in the "Main" tab.

I just looked at random files in different folders. 

When looking at the "Dockers"- tab I get this message: "Array must be started to view Docker containers."

I´ve tried on Safari on my iPhone, and Safari and Opera on the Mac. Same window is showing. The message Array starting, mounting disks is in the lower left corner of the screen. 

On the "Main"-tab below "Array Operation" it says "Starting..." and the "Start" button is grey. Now other options is available. Unfortunately I'm of to work now, but if you have some solutions I will try them when I get back from work.

But as I understand now the files are not unsafe?

2 hours ago, Dreamfault said:

When looking at the "Dockers"- tab I get this message: "Array must be started to view Docker containers."

This is a bit puzzling.

The last thing in syslog is disks being mounted, then user shares being mounted, but nothing about mounting your docker image.

Your system share, where docker image is configured to live, is not on cache. In fact, it is configured to not use cache. Why do you have it like that?

When I set up Unraid for about a year ago I had parts of /appdata on the cache and the array for some time. I did not understand that it should be on the cache. For some time back I moved the /appdata folder off the array and to the /appdata on the cache using Krusader. I first tried moving it with the Mover, but it did not move the /appdata folder. It was only a few MB of files I moved with Krusader. I think it was only some Plex and DelugeVPN-files.  I didn't notice anything different when I did it. Might that be the problem?

That is probably the same reason that the /System-folder is on the array and not on cache.

Edited by Dreamfault

Thank you for the help so far. 

I stopped the VM service and docker service and set appdata and system to Cache-Prefer then rebooted in to Unraid GUI. There was no change.

I tried now to start in safe mode GUI and the array started with no issues. I attached a new diagnostics now. 

What is your suggestions on what to do next? Start the mover and let it do the magic and then reboot into Unraid OS again?

actila-diagnostics-20190313-1456.zip

Edited by Dreamfault

I did it again, set appdata and system to prefer and got it confirmed. I started the mover and it moved system to the cache. I then rebooted into normal Unraid OS, and the same thing is still wrong. The array starts in safe mode, but not in normal Unraid.

Can someone point me in the correct direction? I see in a forum thread that the cache file system is corrupt for another user. Might that be the problem here as well?

All disks are mounting fine, including cache, I would redo the flash drive, backup current one, create a new one and only restore /config/super.dat and /config/your.key, if it works correctly like that reconfig the server or start restoring the other files, one or a few at a time until finding the culprit.

I created a new flash drive, copied super.dat and your.key. Everything seems to work now. The array started and it is currently doing a parity-check. 

When I move over the old files back to the flash drive I will need to restart the server each time. Correct? And do I need to copy everything on the flash, or only the files and folders in the /config folder?