I messed up using unBALANCE - anything i can do to recover?

So i wanted to shrink my array (so i can pull some of the disks for another use) so my intent was to use unbalance to shuffle the data on those drives to the other drives and then when they were empty pull them. 

Well I didnt read the warnings to closely and apparently there was some permissions issues and it ended up duplicating a bunch of files, so i got the same files on both disk2 and disk7 for example and i have no idea how to fix it at this point.

Realize this was my doing but any help would be appreciated

Well maybe i dont have to "fix it" Since the files did get copied to Disks 1,2,3,4, Could I in theory just pull Disks 5,6,7 and have the parity rebuild? Since the files exist on the lower disks now i shouldnt lose any data on my share in theory?

Edited by Blindsay
5 minutes ago, Blindsay said:

Would i still be able to get to the data thats on the remaining drives and my VM's should be ok since they are RAID1 on the ssds right?

If cache is raid1 yes, but if doing a new config physically disconnect the other SSD first.

Edited by johnnie.black
1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

If cache is raid1 yes, but if doing a new config physically disconnect the other SSD first.

Yeah Cache is RAID1, but about the pool itself, In theory all of my data is on Disks 1-4 but is also duplicated on 5-7 because of my mistake. If i pull that many disks in the pool will i be able to get to the data thats there still?

To give a little background i am migrating to a NAS so i am going to take 3 drives plus the SSD (as well as on other matching SSD i have thats outside of all of this) Put those in the NAS, transfer over what data i can, then pull the remaining drives

1 minute ago, Blindsay said:

but about the pool itself, In theory all of my data is on Disks 1-4 but is also duplicated on 5-7 because of my mistake. If i pull that many disks in the pool will i be able to get to the data thats there still?

There's never problem with the array, since each disk is an independent filesystem.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, johnnie.black said:

If you want to make sure the data is all on the new disks you could use rsync --remove-source-files, any files existing on dest would be removed from source and not transferred again, and any missing files would be transferred (and then removed from source)

Thanks but unfortunately I am not familiar with rsync and thats sort of what got me in the mess in the 1st place lol

I ran into this exact same problem using the unbalance plugin.  My solutions was to use this script tool -

That gave me a list of about 1000 duplicates, which was too much for me to deal with by hand...

So I created a little windows app (found at the end of the thread) which would parse the output of unRAIDFindDuplicates and create a script which would delete all of the dupes.  You can find the utility on the last page of that same thread.

Good luck, and be careful.

• Like 1