I am sure this has been hashed and re-hashed...

I am sure this has been hashed and re-hashed many times, but I can't seem to find many opinions on this subject concerning the unraid server and what is the best of the media servers to use with it.

I am hoping to gather info on whether I should use plex server (and which version from whom) with kodi as a client on either a pc or a nVidia Shield TV (with supper fast 512gb usb thumb drive integrated). 

I am weighing the differences because the shield is a cost of about $350 (including drive and stand) and updating my htpc would be costing about $575, on the other hand i am open to something like an xbox, however I do not game

I am also hoping this will  allow me to stream to my mobile devices and my son to stream from the server at his house.

I generally do all of my own tagging and media management.

Any input at all, is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Ice

Edited by icedragonslair

HTPC, Roku, Shield, XBox, ATV, Fire - the client is really up to you. You don't have to spend $350 for a Plex client.

Media server choice is just like the client. Pick what floats your boat. Kodi, Emby, Plex or something else.

I use Plex because clients are plentiful and cheap (everything from a Fire stick to a full on PC).
I also use the docker created by Plex because... well, because that's what I felt like using. Just pick one that is kept up-to-date.

I use a 2 year old Roku Premier for my client because it supports 4K and cost a whopping $70 on sale.

HTPC, Roku, Shield, XBox, ATV, Fire - the client is really up to you. You don't have to spend $350 for a Plex client.

I am selecting a shield over the HTPC because my htpc will cost 500+ for the upgrade to do 4k the way I want to (Intel 8th gen), and I am so used to using a browser that the shield seems a perfect replacement for it, at a lesser cost. Plus it has does have games even though i do not game anymore (no time) :). I also like that I can chose between plex and kodi (kodi prefered) on the client. I would, however, choose an intel nuc if I had the extra money laying around :)

Media server choice is just like the client. Pick what floats your boat. Kodi, Emby, Plex or something else.

I have tried all, that's why i am begrudgingly selecting plex. I say begrudgingly, because I have a seriously large collection and correct their metadata errors is a real pain as they all are, however it seems to the best as a server with the most stability, I am just hoping it has the performance i need

I have also used roku (sold it), WDLive Plus (Still use it, even without 4k), I built my htpc (6 years ago) because all of the devices at that time did not perform anywhere close to what I needed and the addition of a browser made the choice a good one. But now I am looking for alternatives and convenience.
I guess my question was more about the comparisons between the plex server other servers that will play well with my unraid (had real trouble the last time I tried to set up plex), such as emby.

Thank so much for the input,

Ice

Edited by icedragonslair