Remove drive from array

I added a drive to my array that it turns out cannot be stuffed into the case. I really don't need the extra space so I want to remove it. My skill level with Windows and Macs are pretty high, but I admit I am not an advanced Linux user. Following instructions is no problem for me even if they are complex.

Is there any data on the drive you need to keep?   If so first copy it to another location.

Once that has been done you can go to Tools->New Config and select the option to retain the current assignments;  After that go the Main tab and remove the drive.   You can now start the array to rebuild parity from the remaking drives.

• 4 months later...

Thanks! I used unbalance to off load the drive and removed it according to the shrink array instructions. Seems to have worked just fine.

Now I have one drive that is 99% full with the rest about 3/4 full. Is there a way to redistribute the files so that all are evenly filled? I have five 2 TB drives.

Thanks again.

• 4 years later...
On 8/10/2019 at 11:23 AM, gitbox said:

Is there a way to redistribute the files so that all are evenly filled

unbalance...be careful with that app tho...tmk it hasn't been updated since unraid added multiple cache pools, and it DOES NOT support that part.  i had lost some files trying to move from the cache to the array...personally, since that frantic recovery i had to do, i don't trust it any more.