Zyluphix

32Gb Ram Installed, Only 15.973 GB Useable

15 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi all,

I've had this on-going issue for a while now and i cant seem to get my head round it. Recently i bought an extra 16GB of Hyper X Fury ram which is already installed in the machine. Same model so no compatibility issue. I installed the first set in and had the issue in the subject line. A few restarts later and still no luck.

I then asked for it to be replaced, assuming faulty RAM. Again, the same issue.

The current setup is as followed:

Ryzen 2700

Aorus x470

32GB Hyper X Fury DDR4 2400Mhz

Unraid 6.6.7

MSI GeForce GT 710

Unraid sees the RAM, as 32GB installed, it just advises only 16GB is useable.

image.png.ca3b925a25f7afff8e3ec04e71c95458.png

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Where are you seeing the 15.973 usable?

image.png.19747729dece735f43a4942a3deaac82.pngimage.png.62e26c978fd6738648fe8d475e019d38.png

If you open a terminal and type htop, what numbers do you see for memory?

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

If you open a terminal and type htop, what numbers do you see for memory?

image.png.1fe5e35d76b703c844928e24a71cecec.png

Sounds to me like a motherboard BIOS setting, or possibly dual channel mode trying to initialize but the sticks are in the wrong slots.

Check the motherboard manual and see if pairs of memory are supposed to be in adjacent or opposite slots.

15 minutes ago, jonathanm said:

Sounds to me like a motherboard BIOS setting, or possibly dual channel mode trying to initialize but the sticks are in the wrong slots.

Check the motherboard manual and see if pairs of memory are supposed to be in adjacent or opposite slots.

The motherboard only has 4 slots, which are all populated. Looking at the manual it states that when all 4 are populated the motherboard automatically switches to dual channel mode.

Are all 4 modules the exact same configuration? Just because they have the same part number doesn't mean the chips on the modules all match.

From what I'm seeing in google, your symptoms are a motherboard setting or memory compatibility issue. Each stick by itself is probably perfect, but trying to get all 4 to run together in dual channel mode properly can be problematic.

1 minute ago, jonathanm said:

Are all 4 modules the exact same configuration? Just because they have the same part number doesn't mean the chips on the modules all match.

From what I'm seeing in google, your symptoms are a motherboard setting or memory compatibility issue. Each stick by itself is probably perfect, but trying to get all 4 to run together in dual channel mode properly can be problematic.

Should i try running an ubuntu session from a USB stick and see if it utilizes 32gb ? If it does, would that not signify that Unraid is the problem?

43 minutes ago, Zyluphix said:

Same model so no compatibility issue.

You sure it's compatible?  Always, always check the QVL for the motherboard prior to buying memory.  That motherboard has quite a number of HyperX p/n's that are not compatible in a 4 stick configuration.

1 minute ago, Zyluphix said:

Should i try running an ubuntu session from a USB stick and see if it utilizes 32gb ? If it does, would that not signify that Unraid is the problem?

I'm positive unraid isn't the problem.

2 minutes ago, Squid said:

You sure it's compatible?  Always, always check the QVL for the motherboard prior to buying memory.  That motherboard has quite a number of HyperX p/n's that are not compatible in a 4 stick configuration.

I think you've got it.

HyperX HX424C15FB2K2 is not compatible in 4 slots. Damn. I looked up the wrong part number originally!

I had a similar problem a few years ago, where unRaid wouldn't recognize the extra memory, Windows wouldn't etc.  The BIOS would report the total though.

Since then I only ever buy from the QVL and if expanding and the original sticks are no longer available I either buy a whole new set or make damn sure that at the very least the additional set is listed on the QVL and at the very least has the same CL timing.

Just now, Squid said:

I had a similar problem a few years ago, where unRaid wouldn't recognize the extra memory, Windows wouldn't etc.  The BIOS would report the total though.

Since then I only ever buy from the QVL and if expanding and the original sticks are no longer available I either buy a whole new set or make damn sure that at the very least the additional set is listed on the QVL and at the very least has the same CL timing.

That's a killer. Well I think my cheapest option is to get a motherboard that's compatible. Now i just need to do that hunt!

I once had a similar problem. mine went away after I re-seated the all the RAM & CPU's.

Try that before spending hard earned money on a new board. I cannot guarantee it will work. But it is cheap to try. :)