"You require permission from TOWER\nobody"

Hi There, If anyone can help I'd be really grateful.

I have recently started to receive the following error messages in Windows when trying to delete files from any of my shares (on the array or cache drive): "You require permission from TOWER\nobody to make changes to this file"

I have found a small number of similar posts that mainly focus on deleting Windows credentials as the solution. I have done this and rebooted (Windows PC plus unRAID) with no joy.

For info, I'm on unRAID 6.50, all of my shares are public, and I don't have any special user requirements. I have run the "Fix common problems" plugin, and this is not showing any errors. 

This may be a red herring and separate issue, but just in case its related: When any of my dockers are running the log shows "Tower shfs: share cache full" a few times every second. This stops as soon as I stop all the dockers. My guess is that this relates to a nearly full cache drive, but I can't delete the unwanted temporary files due to the permissions issue. I have attached the log in case its helpful.

Thanks very much!

unRAID log.txt

Since no one else has jumped in (up to this point), I will give you the approach that I would take. 

First of all, stop the Dockers if that stops the spamming of the syslog.  

Second, what is your knowledge of Linux?  While you ponder that question, open up a Terminal session.  You can use either the built-in one (if 6.5.0 includes that feature)  or PuTTY.  Now type the following to display the contents of the root directory of your cache drive:

ls -al /mnt/cache

and you should see something like this:

total 2730912
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users          58 Mar 14 15:39 ./
drwxr-xr-x 9 root   root          180 Feb 28 21:49 ../
drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users          33 Mar  7 18:01 Folder_Tree/
drwxrwxrwx 7 nobody users         296 May 22  2018 appdata/
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 10737418240 Mar 11 03:01 docker.img

Notice the   "nobody users"   This signifies that nobody is the owner of that resource and that users is the name of user group which usually have elevated privileges.  Look at this line:

drwxrwxrwx 4 nobody users          33 Mar  7 18:01 Folder_Tree/

The "d" at the beginning means that this a directory.  ( No leading 'd' means that it is a file!).  Now, let's get a list of the files in the Folder_Tree directory.  Hit the up arrow to retrieve the last command that you entered and type    /Folder_Tree      at the end of it.  Hit enter and you should see the contents of Folder_Tree.  

Apply this same logic to the file and directory structure on your cache drive.  Find one of those files that you are trying to get rid of.  Copy that entry from the Terminal Window and post it back up.  (We are interested in that leading block of letters as they are the permissions assigned to that file or directory.)  

Edited by Frank1940
  • Like 1

Fabulous, thank so much for the help - really appreciated. I'm not a regular linux user, so this level of advice is amazing.

I have gone to the built in terminal and typed: "ls -al /mnt/cache/downloads/complete/movies" ... to get a list of folders (all of which I'd like to delete). This is the result:

root@Tower:~# ls -al /mnt/cache/downloads/complete/movies
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 1040 Mar 16 13:41 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   22 May 31  2017 ../
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   98 Feb 11 10:19 Bird\ Box\ 2018\ 2160p\ WEBRip\ X265-DEFLATE.2/
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   72 Feb 23 22:59 Fantastic\ Beasts\ The\ Crimes\ of\ Grindelwald\ 2018\ MULTiSUBS\ 1080p\ HDRip\ x264-EGEN/
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   72 Feb 24 18:48 Fantastic\ Beasts\ The\ Crimes\ of\ Grindelwald\ 2018\ MULTiSUBS\ 1080p\ HDRip\ x264-EGEN.1/
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   72 Mar  7 11:41 Harry\ Potter\ and\ the\ Deathly\ Hallows\ Part\ 1\ 2010\ 1080p\ UHD\ BluRay\ DDP7\ 1\ HDR\ x265-BMF/
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   72 Mar  7 11:24 Harry\ Potter\ and\ the\ Deathly\ Hallows\ Part\ 2\ 2011\ 1080p\ UHD\ BluRay\ DDP7\ 1\ HDR-BMF/
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   72 Mar  7 11:56 The\ Tale\ of\ the\ Princess\ Kaguya\ 2013\ 1080p\ BluRay\ x264-nikt0/
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users   72 Mar  2 16:30 Total\ Recall\ 1990\ 1080p\ BluRay\ DTS\ x264\ D-Z0N3/
drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody users    0 Mar  3 14:27 Total\ Recall\ 1990\ 1080p\ BluRay\ DTS\ x264\ D-Z0N3.1/

The permissions can be decoded as follows:

r   =   read permission

w  =  Write permission

x   =   Execute permission  (Need this to even run .exe. as file extensions have no special meaning to Linux.)  

-    =  Permission denied for this attribute

(You will note that there are three groups of   rwx  permissions.  The first group is for the owner (nobody), the second is for the group  (users)  and the third is for all others.) 

Thus, you do not have write access to these files (which you need to delete them) as you are a member of the users group!  I believe you have the Fix Common Problems plugin installed.  You should also have the Docker Safe New Perm tool installed  (  Tools    >>>>    Docker Safe New Perm    ).  Run that tool and see if you can delete the files then.  If so, figure out what Docker or plugin created those files as it is improperly configured.  

Edited by Frank1940
  • Upvote 1

A day later and the docker safe new permissions tool appears to be stuck... it's gone through a set of shares across four drives, but it's frozen on the fifth one. Using a separate chrome tab I have tried going to the main unraid GUI and it won't load.

Do you think I should just wait it out in the hope that it's just taking its time over this one?

Is it normal for the unRAID GUI to be unavailable while running the tool? 

If it has got stuck is the best approach to just reset the unRAID PC?

Cheers!

Which disk is it stuck on?  (When I just ran the New Permissions plugin, it seemed to be doing the shares on a disk by disk basis. And the cache drive was the last one processed.)  Was   CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup  the share you are talking about?  What disk is it on? I am not expert on the workings of this plugin.  Hopely, @Squid can jumpin and provide some insight.  

This is a quote from the Plugin GUI Screen:

Clicking Start will open another window and start the background process. Closing the window before completion will terminate the background process - so don't do that. This process can take a long time if you have many files. During this time, the webUI will be unavailable. If you do close the pop up window, the current folder in progress will be finished before the webUI is responsive again.

It appears that this might be your problem with the GUI being unavailable...

44 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

Which disk is it stuck on?  (When I just ran the New Permissions plugin, it seemed to be doing the shares on a disk by disk basis. And the cache drive was the last one processed.)  Was   CommunityApplicationsAppdataBackup  the share you are talking about?  What disk is it on? I am not expert on the workings of this plugin.  Hopely, @Squid can jumpin and provide some insight.  

That quote is more in line with 6.1/6.2/6.3  Not applicable to 6.4+

Hiya,

The new permissions tool got stuck on the backups folder on my fifth array disk, but I'm reasonably convinced there was something wrong as it was stuck on that folder for over 12 hours (which isn't excessively large compared to the previous 4 disks).

I reset my unRAID PC, rebooted, and all seemed fine (with parity check starting). I have since re-run the new permissions plugin (excluding all disks except the cache drive) and it finished successfully.

I have now been able to clear space on the cache drive, and restart the plugins without the low free space warning spamming my log. All seems well. I'll start investigating which docker is causing the permission issues. I can't see anything in Sab, but onto the others...

Thanks you so much for the help everyone - great community!