Will this network configuration work?

mbc0

Hi,

I currently have my unraid server connected to a 24 port switch via a dual port nic

image.thumb.png.117b7ae897b8fc4c9bd2facc3c599805.png

I also have a 10gbE connection directly from the server to my desktop using mellanox 10gb/E cards using this cable

image.png.f30476b6ff0945285f1ea8ad1455e26d.png

This all works great but I have decided to put my rack cabinet into the garage which is directly attached to my house so only have to go through the wall but I need to run a length of approx 20 metres.  I have now purchased 2 of these

image.thumb.png.74968a103144a683df6364659ec2f022.png

to work with this cable (LC-LC UPC Duplex OM3 Multimode Fibre Patch Lead 2.0mm PVC (OFNR) 30m)

image.png.dc51e6e2c7102d38af71c8751f636ff5.png

1, Will this work as I currently have things configured? 

2, Would possibly benefit from a switch with 10gb/E AND RJ45?  I see so many switches, some mention 10gb/E uplink? would that just be to another switch?

I basically need the 10gb/E between my desktop & Server but trying to "future proof" a bit as well but cannot justify upgrading to RJ45 10gb/E as I would need 2 cards & a switch to do so, I will wait for the price to come down but my house is all CAT6a ready.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

ah, thanks @johnnie.black 

I did not realise there were differences in tranceivers?

here are the cards I have, they say ConnectX-3 so should be ok?

Would possibly benefit from a switch with 10gb/E AND RJ45?  I see so many switches, some mention 10gb/E uplink? would that just be to another switch?

image.thumb.png.89e2e7c28d22837fe141a1bf3aca9020.png

image.png.d6b52e15c17b776357c43925ee1a5731.png

Edited by mbc0

ah, poo!

will it be a case of work/don't work or poor performance?

Sorry to keep pounding you but can you please let me know your opinion on a switch or am I best keeping this as a direct connection to my desktop or is there a way of "sharing the love of the 10gb/E" to the rest of the network with a combined switch with 1gb & 10gb/E (Confusing with the amount of different switches out there!)

As Always, Thanks for your time/input Mr unRAID @johnnie.black 🙂

Just now, mbc0 said:

will it be a case of work/don't work or poor performance?

work or don't

1 minute ago, mbc0 said:

Sorry to keep pounding you but can you please let me know your opinion on a switch or am I best keeping this as a direct connection to my desktop or is there a way of "sharing the love of the 10gb/E"

If you're going to have several clients accessing the server simultaneously a switch can help, though you then also need to worry about the switch compatibility with the transceivers.

• Like 1

The only in/out of the server

Main Desktop (10gb/E)

2 TV's Wired the rest Wifi

Plex 3 Wired the rest Wifi

blue iris cctv 4k Cameras (thinking of using a seperate lan for this to reduce traffic)

Internet

PS3 Streaming (Rare)

What do you think? 🙂

Many Thanks Johnnie, I will report back on my ones when I get the cable.. I have to admit I thought I had a bargain as they are quite expensive but I got 2 new sealed ones on ebay for £12 delivered! but they will only be cheap if they work 😄

Hi,

Just to update, 

those transceivers I bought (2X Brand New sealed Solarflare SFM10G-SR 10GBASE-SR 850nm 10 Gb/s SFP Transceiver) £15

work perfectly with my mellanox cards (MNPA19-XTR 10GB Mellanox ConnectX-2 10Gbe 3m SFP+ ) £35

with this cable (Brand New Sealed 20m 10Gb OM3 Aqua Fibre Optic LC LC Duplex MM 50 125 LSZH fibre patch Cable) £9

Pretty Cheap solution 🙂

• Upvote 1