Unable to flash HP H220 (SAS9205-8i) to P20 IT Firmware

Dear all,

I'm trying to flash a HP H220 (SAS9205-8i with the LSI 2308) using the P20 IT Firmware from Supermicro.

Whenever I execute the sas2flash.efi utility, I get "Adapter Selected is a LSI SAS: SAS2308_2(D1). Controller is not operational. A firmware download is required. Enter firmware file name or quit to exit:".

I can enter the firmware file name (2308T207.ROM) or use sas2flash.efi -f 2308T207.ROM, but in the end, after downloading the firmware it says "Resetting Adapter ..." and after some minutes it says "Adapter Reset Failed.".
I also tried to use -noreset - in this case, the command above executes successfully but after resetting the system manually, it's the same situation.

I tried this using the Integrated EFI Shell on a Supermicro X11SAE-F motherboard as well as on a ASUS P8Z77-M PRO with a USB Stick with the EFI Shell (Shellx64.efi v1.1.2), same result. Unfortunately I cannot use the DOS method (FreeDOS) on both mainboards (PAL error).

I also tried different PCIe slots, same result.

I also tried different sas2flash.efi (e.g. P15 from Broadcom).

I also tried to flash it back using the most recent HPE H220 firmware (H220_it.fw, mptsas2.rom) from the HPE website. Same situation.

I also tried to use sas2flash.exe on Windows (also from the HPE package) on Win10 as well as sas2flash on Linux (Ubuntu) (also from the HPE package).

In Windows I see the adapter as (if I remember correclty) LSI S2308 Magnum Adapter, on Linux I see the adapter as well with lspci / lshw.

But in both cases I cannot even try to flash it (No LSI adapter found).

I am slowly running out of hope. Is there any jumper I need to set or something like that?

Any help is very appreciated!

Kind regards,

Lukas

Edited by lousek
  • 7 months later...

Hello,

Sorry for reviving this thread but it's indexed on Google and maybe others users will have this issue. The solution is to use an older version for sas2flash (like P14) or download the firmware from Broadcom site: https://www.broadcom.com/products/storage/host-bus-adapters/sas-9207-8i

Regards,

• Like 1
  • 9 months later...

Sorry for reviving this thread yet again but i just got two LSI 9207-8i from Ebay and none of them worked out of the box.

One of them gives the exact same thing but using an older version (P14) of sas2flash.efi doesn't help and same thing happens.

The other is not even identfied by sas2flash. Checking the hardware ID in Windows shows it has another device ID than the first (008f instead of 0087) so i guess i was ripped off or sold bad returns.

Megarec finds them both though and trying to find what's wrong i've tried to dump the sbr and spd using megarec but it can't read neither the spb or sbr. Any chance someone could share a dump of a working card i could try with?