Transcoding support intel i5 9600k and asrock z390m

I have been browsing around the forums and I see some posts but nothing that has ultimately been able to help me resolve my issue. I have just finished a new nas build with an intel i5 9600k and an asrock z390m motherboard running 6.7.0-rc5. I have followed some guides and have igpu enabled in my bios along with primary graphics adapter as onboard and have added the line append initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1 under unraid OS section of syslinux configuration. I reboo, then type in modprobe i915 in the cli and do not see the /dev/dri directory. Has anyone been able to crack this and come up with the solution? I am also not sure if its as simple as me missing something in the bios http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z390M-ITXac.pdf page 59 seems to show the settings which would apply to enabling the quick sync.

Thank you in advance for the help.

4 hours ago, nanoblock said:

I have been browsing around the forums and I see some posts but nothing that has ultimately been able to help me resolve my issue. I have just finished a new nas build with an intel i5 9600k and an asrock z390m motherboard running 6.7.0-rc5. I have followed some guides and have igpu enabled in my bios along with primary graphics adapter as onboard and have added the line append initrd=/bzroot i915.alpha_support=1 under unraid OS section of syslinux configuration. I reboo, then type in modprobe i915 in the cli and do not see the /dev/dri directory. Has anyone been able to crack this and come up with the solution? I am also not sure if its as simple as me missing something in the bios http://asrock.pc.cdn.bitgravity.com/Manual/Z390M-ITXac.pdf page 59 seems to show the settings which would apply to enabling the quick sync.

The i915 graphics drivers in the Linux kernel used in current versions of unRAID do not support the iGPU in 9th generation Intel CPUs.  Apparently, the i915 drivers have been modified to support these iGPUs in the 4.20 and later version of the Linux kernel.  Once it makes its way to unRAID (the 6.7.0 rc is currently using the 4.19 kernel), we'll know for sure.

AFAIK, no one with a 9th generation CPU/iGPU is successfully using hardware transcoding on unRAID at the moment.

Edited by Hoopster
  • 8 months later...
On 3/16/2019 at 3:47 PM, nanoblock said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've had piss-poor luck choosing MBs for unraid in the past. Did you ever get quick sync working on your i5-9 series on the asrock ITX board?  I'm looking to move to a nicer box and this board seems like a winner if I can get hardware transcoding on the iGPU. 

2 hours ago, jordan said:

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I've had piss-poor luck choosing MBs for unraid in the past. Did you ever get quick sync working on your i5-9 series on the asrock ITX board?  I'm looking to move to a nicer box and this board seems like a winner if I can get hardware transcoding on the iGPU. 

The 5.3.x Linux kernel used in the 6.8.0 release candidates (RC7 is the latest) appears to have resolved the problem. There are many reports of users with 9th generation CPU/iGPU being able to use QSV hardware transcoding with the RCs.  By the way, DO NOT add the alpha_support=1 to bzroot.  It is not necessary and was only needed when Coffee Lake CPU/iGPUs were first released.

If you want to hw transcoding with Plex, you should be good as Plex began supporting 9th generation iGPUs in the 1.17.x.x releases.

• Like 1