Sign in to follow this  
DannyG

How can I recover all my docker & VMs after I replaced my Cache Drive?

4 posts in this topic Last Reply

Hi, 

I need help/support.

I previously had 4x 128GB SSD drives in UNraid as a cache drive, they were configured so they appeared as 1 large drive (480GB) (all via software in UNraid).

Today I installed a new 1TB nvme drive to replace the 4 old drive.

I clearly misunderstood what a cache drive did - I assumed that it only held temporary files (not all my installs Docker containers & VMs) and that those files were written off the cache drive to my array once a day on schedule.

I stopped the array and changed the cache drive to my new 1TB drive. I started the array and low and behold all my Docker contains & VMs are gone.

Crap!

I stopped the array again, and tried to put the old drives back... but received a warning that doing so will erase the drives.

So now, I need help, how can I get my stuff back online?

If the old cache pool devices are untouched you can still recover, unassign current cache device and start the array without any cache, stop array, re-assign all the old cache devices and start the array, you can then use this to backup VM and docker services to the array, replace cache and move them back there.

If I stop the array, and attach the old drives, I get a warning saying that it will erase the disks.

Not if you do this first:

23 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

unassign current cache device and start the array without any cache, stop array,

assuming you're on a recent release, older ones (<v6.5) might behave differently.