Power Efficient, Storage Only CPU + Motherboard Recommendation

• 1 month later...

I just (yesterday) built a new UNRAID server using an Athlon 200GE and a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard.  Everything runs super smooth and even some a few dockers for torrent/zerotier and power draw and heat dissipation are minimal.  CPU rarely spikes above 50% use even during intense transfer sessions.  

I couldn't be happier.  

p.s.  I use a separate machine to run ProxMox and that has many containers/VM's there.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, z00100 said:

I just (yesterday) built a new UNRAID server using an Athlon 200GE and a Gigabyte B450M DS3H motherboard.  Everything runs super smooth and even some a few dockers for torrent/zerotier and power draw and heat dissipation are minimal.  CPU rarely spikes above 50% use even during intense transfer sessions.  

I couldn't be happier.  

p.s.  I use a separate machine to run ProxMox and that has many containers/VM's there.

Thanks for sharing. I was considering AMD until I realized that most motherboards have PCI lane limitations and I wanted more flexibility for upgrades and went with Intel instead, settled on Pentium G5400. Without PCI cards & HDD's entire system consumes ~21W on idle with a 500W Bronze rated PSU, also using full featured SLI motherboard + 16GB RAM.

Curious what power draw you're seeing from 200GE. It was one of the CPU's I was considering.

Edited by avp2306
typo
11 minutes ago, avp2306 said:

Thanks for sharing. I was considering AMD until I realized that most motherboards have PCI lane limitations and I wanted more flexibility for upgrades and went with Intel instead, settled on Pentium G5400. Without PCI cards & HDD's entire system consumes ~21W on idle with a 500W Bronze rated PSU, also using full featured SLI motherboard + 16GB RAM

Your setup should be more than fine.  And yes, you're right, there are some PCI lane limitations with the B450 chipset.  I only have 4 SATA ports which is fine for now but could be an issue in the future.  However it's nothing a HBA card cannot fix.

12 minutes ago, avp2306 said:

Curious what power draw you're seeing from 200GE. It was one of the CPU's I was considering.

I don't have a Kill-a-watt or anything similar but I will try to figure it out and report back.  I'm using a 450W Bronze PSU, FYI.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 5/3/2019 at 5:21 PM, z00100 said:

I couldn't be happier.  

Its possible to IGP passthrough Vega 3 graphics ?
It's will be very usefull!!