Win10 VM graphics pass-through broke after AMD BIOS update

On 3/29/2019 at 11:48 PM, Borbosch said:

I just registered for saying thank you for this thread. 6 Hours i searched and searched without any clue why the passthrough won't work on my Asus PRIME x470-Pro.

The answer was the newest Bios-Update. I managed to downgrade with the tool Afuefix64 and the Instructions found here: 

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1640394-ryzen-bios-mods-how-update-bios-correctly.html

Below "How to flash a official bios".

When you are trying to downgrade it, will warn you with the message "rom file information does not match system bios", but it works nonetheless.

To anyone following this thread it would be useful to see if there's a correlation across the various motherboard brands. I'm interested to know if it's related to a particular AGESA version. You can help by posting your motherboard make and model, the BIOS version that broke your system and the latest version that fixes it. I have a personal interest in the Asus PRIME X470-Pro.

On 5/11/2019 at 6:04 PM, tw0884 said:

Since 6.7 has been released, you guys should post when you update unRAID and which MSI bios' don't break VM's. Anyone brave to try the latest again?

I did try 6.7-rc5 with the latest BIOS when I was was originally having the issue and no luck- same error.  They were both using Linux Kernel 4.19.

I am holding out hope that the NEXT UnRaid version will include Linux Kernel 5 and because kernel 5.2 (I think) will have Zen 2 support, we will see a fix for our problems with this stuff.

15 hours ago, John_M said:

To anyone following this thread it would be useful to see if there's a correlation across the various motherboard brands. I'm interested to know if it's related to a particular AGESA version. You can help by posting your motherboard make and model, the BIOS version that broke your system and the latest version that fixes it. I have a personal interest in the Asus PRIME X470-Pro.

This is a good idea @John_M!  I will find all the model numbers listed in this thread and make an edit to the OP to include them there.  I am curious on what is the root cause.  At one point I contemplated buying a new high-end x470 mobo, but then I saw posts from other folks here with the same issues on other manufacturers.

• Like 1

I recently updated to Unraid 6.7 Stable and now I'm joining the group of being unable passthrough an Nvidia GPU to a Windows 10 vm. 

ASUS x370-F Gaming

AMD Ryzen 7 1700

BIOS 4801 most up to date BIOS for this motherboard - like others confirmed, ASUS disabled reverting driver  and like others have posted - downgrading BIOS is not the long term fix.

EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black edition, with most recent ROM file from techpowerup.

Unfortunately the last time I booted the vm was January of 2019 on BIOS 4207 and was able to use GPU passthrough with no issues.

I'm am now receiving the same error - vfio: Unable to power on device, stuck in D3, then Unraid crashes after attempting to reboot.

I can switch to VNC and run the Windows 10 vm with no issues.

I did revert Unraid to the prior version, 6.7 rc6 but received the same errors.  At this point I wished ASUS, and other MFGs, allowed downgrading the BIOS...

Will be following this topic.

Edited by swixter
more detail
On 3/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, Borbosch said:

I just registered for saying thank you for this thread. 6 Hours i searched and searched without any clue why the passthrough won't work on my Asus PRIME x470-Pro.

The answer was the newest Bios-Update. I managed to downgrade with the tool Afuefix64 and the Instructions found here: 

https://www.overclock.net/forum/11-amd-motherboards/1640394-ryzen-bios-mods-how-update-bios-correctly.html

When you are trying to downgrade it, will warn you with the message "rom file information does not match system bios", but it works nonetheless.

Thanks again!

20 hours ago, swixter said:

I did revert Unraid to the prior version, 6.7 rc6 but received the same errors.  At this point I wished ASUS, and other MFGs, allowed downgrading the BIOS...

Will be following this topic.

@swixter - Try the *unsupported* BIOS Downgrade utility that @Borbosch posted earlier in this thread.  It should allow you to downgrade to an earlier mobo BIOS version.  Right now, that's the only fix anyone has found for this problem.

Joining the list of people affected. 

Updated my BIOS and it broke my Windows 10 gaming VM passing through GTX 1660ti.

I am using Asus X370-Pro with Ryzen 7 1700, BIOS v4801, Release date 04/25/2019.

Running unRAID, version 6.7.1-rc1.

Downgraded to BIOS 4207 and everything is working again.

Edited by chadjj
On 3/30/2019 at 12:48 AM, Borbosch said:

Thanks again!

Used this method to flash back. Now my server is OK!

Asus Strix X370-F gaming

Ryzen R7 1700

Unraid 6.7.0

Bios 4801 - passthrough broken.

Downgrade back to 4207.

hopefully this will be fixed with the Ryzen 3xxx launch. Report to your board vendors.

4 hours ago, Maor said:

hopefully this will be fixed with the Ryzen 3xxx launch. Report to your board vendors. 

@Maor  - Glad the downgrade fixed it, but agree it's not a long term solution! 

I reached out to MSI about my board, but they replied that they "only support windows", so they were not willing to go into any conversation about this issue.  And it was hard to even get to that stage... Mobo Tech Support appears to not exactly the most technically advanced group. 🤦‍♂️

@mattz In my experience, the only mobo vendor who cares about bios updates is Asus and from what I have seen in the forums Asrock got better and their support is able to even provide unofficial bioses.

But it seems, the problem affects all motherboards, so probably it is a bug made by AMD and needs to be fixed by AMD.

Edited by Maor

I had this problem on 

Asus Crosshair Hero VI - Bios 6903

On 6808 is lastest tested and "working"

Since ive tried there is newer Bios available Version 7002 2019/05/16, but i havent tried as Server is without monitor, so i would have to move upgrade , test, reconfigure bios again. Not really in mood doing that right now System is working...

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2019 at 2:23 AM, Maor said:

@mattz In my experience, the only mobo vendor who cares about bios updates is Asus and from what I have seen in the forums Asrock got better and their support is able to even provide unofficial bioses.

But it seems, the problem affects all motherboards, so probably it is a bug made by AMD and needs to be fixed by AMD. 

@Maor Good tip- I don't put _any_ thought around hardware support when I purchase, but _GOOD_ support would likely change my mind.  And agree about the AMD bug, maybe it was some recent spec that wasn't tested well.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:42 AM, killeriq said:

Not really in mood doing that right now System is working... 

@killeriq - well put, that about sums it up for me!  :)  I don't really like the "If it ain't broke, don't fix it mentality"; however, I may stick to it in this case.

• 3 weeks later...

Also can't pass through GPU to Windows 10 VM.

Ryzen 7 2700

Asus PRIME B40M-A/CSM version 1201 (can't downgrade, there was an update 1607 on 6/25/2019 that I haven't tried yet)

unRAID both 6.7.0 and 6.6.7

EVGA GeForce GTX 760

Edited by ZooMass

@ZooMass  There have been a few people here who successfully downgraded their Asus PRIME and are up-and-running with an older BIOS--not sure what version.  Follow these instructions from @Borbosch:

On 3/29/2019 at 4:48 PM, Borbosch said:

Thanks again!

• Thanks 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I had the same issue.

MOBO: Asrock x370 Taichi

Graphicscard: Asus DUAL-GTX1070-O8G

Processor: AMD Ryzen 7 2700

Unraid 6.7.2

Bios version which broke passthrough: P5.60. Reverted back to 5.10 (didn't try P5.50 as I skipped this version)

For people who have Asrock MOBO's: I booted straight into Windows 10, used AFUWIN Tool to downgrade BIOS

(https://ami.com/en/download-license-agreement/?DownloadFile=Aptio_V_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip) with the command:

AFUWINx64.exe X370TC5.10 /CAPSULE /B /P /N

Edited by boris
6 minutes ago, boris said:

For people who have Asrock MOBO's: I booted straight into Windows 10, used AFUWIN Tool to downgrade BIOS

(https://ami.com/en/download-license-agreement/?DownloadFile=Aptio_V_AMI_Firmware_Update_Utility.zip) with the command:

AFUWINx64.exe X370TC5.10 /CAPSULE /B /P /N

Great tip!  I'm going to add it to OP.

And nice setup- I have very similar stuff, just different brands.  😎

Any suggestions for x570 boards yet?

I just upgraded from a b350 due to a broken SATA port and still running a 2600 however I have lost the ability to passthrough any GPU to Win10.

Obviously I can't downgrade the bios. VFIO support looks poor at this stage.

I also have the same issue "Stuck in D3".

Unraid stable 6.7.2

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming motherboard, bios version 5008 (upgraded just before installing unraid, maybe that was a bad thing).

Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC

Ryzen 1700 cpu (first gen)

Also tried to put an ASUS GTX 750 TI in the computer as well, with the exact same problem.

(both gpus installed at the same time)

EDIT2: Also tried to downgrade to the BIOS before 5008 with EzFlash, and the downgrade worked for the bios before but not with earlier bioses. Same thing here with "Stuck in D3". 

Upgraded to 5008 again.

Edited by widdefmh
Added bios information
On 7/19/2019 at 7:49 PM, qwijibo said:

Any suggestions for x570 boards yet?

I just upgraded from a b350 due to a broken SATA port and still running a 2600 however I have lost the ability to passthrough any GPU to Win10.

Obviously I can't downgrade the bios. VFIO support looks poor at this stage.

@qwijibo Congrats on the new motherboard!  The x570 are the latest and greatest, right??  I was wondering if this issue would extend to them, and it sounds like it does.  You're right- because you cannot downgrade, you are kind of stuck.  Stay tuned to this thread.  If there is ever a fix for this with a software patch or anything, it will probably work for you too.  And we'll post it here once we know.

My only suggestion at this point would be to return it for an x470 (which works on older BIOSes), but that is a drastic move.  The x570 gives you the latest PCI 4.0 lane stuff, but besides that, all the hardware including the CPU will work on the x470, I believe, and for cheaper.

And @qwijibo- what Model an Make x570 board is it?  And BIOS version.  I would like to add it to the list.

Edited by mattz
asked for board model and make
2 hours ago, widdefmh said:

I also have the same issue "Stuck in D3".

Unraid stable 6.7.2

Asus ROG STRIX B350-F Gaming motherboard, bios version 5008 (upgraded just before installing unraid, maybe that was a bad thing).

Asus GTX 1060 6GB Dual OC

Ryzen 1700 cpu (first gen)

Also tried to put an ASUS GTX 750 TI in the computer as well, with the exact same problem.

(both gpus installed at the same time)

EDIT2: Also tried to downgrade to the BIOS before 5008 with EzFlash, and the downgrade worked for the bios before but not with earlier bioses. Same thing here with "Stuck in D3". 

Upgraded to 5008 again.

@widdefmh If it's worth anything, I think you did the right thing by upgrading your mobo BIOS before you installed Unraid.  It is unfortunate you ran into this issue.  Sounds like you tried several things with no success--that's about right.  I also tried 2 GPUs and was unsuccessful.

You can still downgrade to fix this:  use the Asus downgrade utility Afuefix64 from overclock.netNo one has posted about the ROG STRIX B350, so I am not sure what BIOS you should use.  Check for one back before March 2019 (check the change log and choose one before they introduced the Ryzen 3000 upgrade).

47 minutes ago, mattz said:

@widdefmh If it's worth anything, I think you did the right thing by upgrading your mobo BIOS before you installed Unraid.  It is unfortunate you ran into this issue.  Sounds like you tried several things with no success--that's about right.  I also tried 2 GPUs and was unsuccessful.

You can still downgrade to fix this:  use the Asus downgrade utility Afuefix64 from overclock.netNo one has posted about the ROG STRIX B350, so I am not sure what BIOS you should use.  Check for one back before March 2019 (check the change log and choose one before they introduced the Ryzen 3000 upgrade).

Thanks for the reply, I will try to downgrade to before March 2019 to see if I get any success with GPU passthrough. 
I don't really want to downgrade, because at some point I will have to upgrade BIOS again and then I don't know
if it will be fixed or not. I also use all four slots of ram in my computer and I need a pretty new BIOS to get the memories
stable at a pretty high speed (3000Mhz). But I will give it at a try to see if it fixes the problem.

Do we know any mobos that don't have this problem at all? If it is worth changing mobo to a different one.. 

Edited by widdefmh
37 minutes ago, widdefmh said:

Thanks for the reply, I will try to downgrade to before March 2019 to see if I get any success with GPU passthrough. 
I don't really want to downgrade, because at some point I will have to upgrade BIOS again and then I don't know
if it will be fixed or not. I also use all four slots of ram in my computer and I need a pretty new BIOS to get the memories
stable at a pretty high speed (3000Mhz). But I will give it at a try to see if it fixes the problem.

Do we know any mobos that don't have this problem at all? If it is worth changing mobo to a different one.. 

It looks like it is AGESA which is causing the problem and it affects all mobo's. I read couple posts that the last AGESA version which works with passthrough is AGESA 1.0.0.6. Hopefully AMD can fix this problem fast, until then we can not use the new Ryzen CPU's with GPU passthrough. Regarding your mobo, you should be fine with bios version 4207 (like you said before march 2019).

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
23 hours ago, mattz said:

@qwijibo Congrats on the new motherboard!  The x570 are the latest and greatest, right??  I was wondering if this issue would extend to them, and it sounds like it does.  You're right- because you cannot downgrade, you are kind of stuck.  Stay tuned to this thread.  If there is ever a fix for this with a software patch or anything, it will probably work for you too.  And we'll post it here once we know.

My only suggestion at this point would be to return it for an x470 (which works on older BIOSes), but that is a drastic move.  The x570 gives you the latest PCI 4.0 lane stuff, but besides that, all the hardware including the CPU will work on the x470, I believe, and for cheaper.

And @qwijibo- what Model an Make x570 board is it?  And BIOS version.  I would like to add it to the list.

Board is an Asus PRIME X570-PRO.

I have tried all released BIOS revisions for the board. This board does let me downgrade. Currently on Version 7010 which is latest and a BETA apparently.

@mattz Just to add I did try the initial BIOS revision that was released for this board. I've also popped a 3700x onto the board which I purchased for my gaming PC and still cannot passthrough either an AMD or NVIDIA gpu. Tried different slots, ACS settings, BIOS settings, the works. This is definitely a board issue and not cpu related. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-WHCCwgyDg

Edited by qwijibo
Youtube link

Hi! After the downgrade my ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING works fine with the Bios 2008.

Now i ordered a 3900x and ask myself, if the processor will work with this bios-version. The changelog of the biso 2008 says: "Update AGESA 0070 for the upcoming processors and improve CPU compatibility". 

Anyone tried a Ryzen 3xxx with a AGESA 0070 Bios?