Jump to content
mattz

Win10 VM graphics pass-through broke after AMD BIOS update

87 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

Also planing to upgrade to a X3900/3950. But until support has been confirmed I think it will be best to just wait.

I can also confirm that downgrading to BIOS 4207 (last bios released before the AGESA updates started) using the Afuefix64 method is working on the ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING motherboard.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Borbosch said:

Hi! After the downgrade my ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING works fine with the Bios 2008.

Now i ordered a 3900x and ask myself, if the processor will work with this bios-version. The changelog of the biso 2008 says: "Update AGESA 0070 for the upcoming processors and improve CPU compatibility". 

Anyone tried a Ryzen 3xxx with a AGESA 0070 Bios?

 

9 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Also planing to upgrade to a X3900/3950. But until support has been confirmed I think it will be best to just wait.

I can also confirm that downgrading to BIOS 4207 (last bios released before the AGESA updates started) using the Afuefix64 method is working on the ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING motherboard.

 

I think both of you are spot-on here.  Downgrading the mobo BIOS brings back pass-thru functionality, but I do think it will NOT WORK with the new Ryzen 3 line of processors... :S

 

Someone added a post to the AMD forum, and I added this thread as a comment on it:  https://community.amd.com/message/2921732

Share this post


Link to post
14 hours ago, CptLoRes said:

Also planing to upgrade to a X3900/3950. But until support has been confirmed I think it will be best to just wait.

I can also confirm that downgrading to BIOS 4207 (last bios released before the AGESA updates started) using the Afuefix64 method is working on the ROG STRIX X470-F GAMING motherboard.

I would hold off buying a 3000 series for now. I'm starting to regret buying one. I've had to turn PBO off to get stable temps and stop the chip from over-volting.

The whole launch is starting to look like a bit of a mess.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/cbls9g/the_final_word_on_idle_voltages_for_3rd_gen_ryzen/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Quote

Asrock downgrade utility AFUWIN Tool

This does not work for Asrock x370 Taichi that is at BIOS 5.50 when trying to downgrade to 5.10.

 

image.png.f1109585cdbd8bd03e5e716ebdd9667c.png

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, realies said:

This does not work for Asrock x370 Taichi that is at BIOS 5.50 when trying to downgrade to 5.10.

 

image.png.f1109585cdbd8bd03e5e716ebdd9667c.png

 

 

You cant use afuwin in windows to do this (as windows has a system protection to stop bios being changed to one that doesn;t match and setting to ignore in afuwin will just reboot you into the motherboard bios page to upgrade so no good)

I have almost finished a video guide on how to do this which i will upload and link here later today.

 

But for now here is how. Format a usb stick with gpt partition. (use rufus in windows to do this) the put this file attached here into the root of the flash drive. (obviously unzip)

EFI.zip

Then you will have a file on flash called EFi inside there ther is a folder called BOOT.

Copy the downgrade bios that you want to use into that folder but rename it bios.rom

then boot the computer from the usb flash drive that you have just made.

you will see the shell

Now you will need to change to the usb drive

type fs0:  

(yours maybe different poss -- fs2: fs4: etc)

then type

cd EFI
cd BOOT

then type ls to list the files there. (you should see the files and the file bios.rom - you will know that you are in correct directory then)

now to flash your bios

(remember flashing a motherboard bios has risks and it is possible to brick a board so do at your own risk please)

type 

Afuefix64 bios.rom /P /B /N /K /X 

This will flash the bios onto the board. It will warn as in windows but just type y to continue.

After flashing I would clear the cmos then re-setup bios settings as desired.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, SpaceInvaderOne said:

 

 

You cant use afuwin in windows to do this (as windows has a system protection to stop bios being changed to one that doesn;t match and setting to ignore in afuwin will just reboot you into the motherboard bios page to upgrade so no good)

I have almost finished a video guide on how to do this which i will upload and link here later today.

 

But for now here is how. Format a usb stick with gpt partition. (use rufus in windows to do this) the put this file attached here into the root of the flash drive. (obviously unzip)

EFI.zip 1.1 MB · 0 downloads

Then you will have a file on flash called EFi inside there ther is a folder called BOOT.

Copy the downgrade bios that you want to use into that folder but rename it bios.rom

then boot the computer from the usb flash drive that you have just made.

you will see the shell

Now you will need to change to the usb drive


type fs3:  

(yours maybe different poss -- fs2: fs4: etc)

then type


cd EFI

cd BOOT

then type ls to list the files there. (you should see the files and the file bios.rom - you will know that you are in correct directory then)

now to flash your bios (remember flashing a motherboard bios has risks and it is possible to brick a board so do at your risk please)

type 


Afuefix64 bios.rom /P /B /N /K /X 

This will flash the bios onto the board. It will warn as in windows but just type y to continue.

After flashing I would clear the cmos then re-setup bios settings as desired.

 

 

That't strange because it did work for me: I used AFUWIN via the command prompt with the command "AFUWINx64.exe X370TC5.10 /CAPSULE /B /P /N"

Although I had windows installed with "Primary vDisk Location" set to manual and windows installed on a separate SSD which let me boot into windows without starting unraid.

Share this post


Link to post

Using a windows flash tools for motherboard flashing in general dosent sound like a good idea. There is a lot of cruf that can go wrong with the entire windows system running at the same time. And with Unraid it also means you need to have a bare metal windows boot at hand.

So for BIOS downgrades where you can't use the build in BIOS flash tool, I would be much more comfortable using a bare bone usb boot system.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, boris said:

That't strange because it did work for me: I used AFUWIN via the command prompt with the command "AFUWINx64.exe X370TC5.10 /CAPSULE /B /P /N"

Although I had windows installed with "Primary vDisk Location" set to manual and windows installed on a separate SSD which let me boot into windows without starting unraid.

Can confirm that using the CLI tool I have reverted the bios on Asrock Taichi X370 back to 5.10 successfully.

 

Don't think many of the comments about flashing new bios via bare metal Windows is not safe because the tool prepares the bios for flashing within Windows and upon restart the bios if validated and flashed via a component from the existing bios.

Edited by realies

Share this post


Link to post

Not sure if I should post this here or in the Code 43 tutorial thread (moderator, this is for you 😉), but here goes:

I had the same issue on an ASUS Prime X470 Pro. Downgrading worked just fine, thank you for that.

However, I didn't notice that after rebooting and starting the VM, the drivers for the GPU got automatically loaded from WU (because the GPU ended up on a different hostdev slot, for some reason). This resulted in a beatiful Code 43. While trying to fix the issue, the VM (and Unraid) would freeze when rebooting after the patched driver install. Turns out it was just because I had three screens connected! Removing the two extra screens, DDU-ing and reapplying the patched drivers, rebooting the VM, shutting it down (again) and reconnecting the two screens did the trick.

Hope this is of use to someone else!

Share this post


Link to post

For those that want to downgrade their bios on motherboards using an AMI bios i have put together a short guide here

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD. 

I'm about to convert my ryzen 7 1700, Asus strix x370-f build over to an unraid setup, and I have the option of running an asus strix 1070 (for a W10 passthrough) and a gt710 for unraid. Has anyone tried any other bios(es?) other than 4207 (i.e. 5009) for passthrough, and do they work? 

Edited by Brucej32
added new bios numbers for clarity

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/4/2019 at 1:27 AM, Brucej32 said:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD. 

I'm about to convert my ryzen 7 1700, Asus strix x370-f build over to an unraid setup, and I have the option of running an asus strix 1070 (for a W10 passthrough) and a gt710 for unraid. Has anyone tried any other bios(es?) other than 4207 (i.e. 5009) for passthrough, and do they work? 

I have an asus rog strix x370-F gaming, ryzen 5 2600X running with bios 4009. I have a 1060 passed through to a win10 VM. Higher bios versions i tried break the pass through for me. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Apparently a new AGESA update (AGESA 1.0.0.4ABB) fixes the passthrough problem. AMD does recommend this only for Ryzen 3000 Series. Could someone check if it will work with Ryzen 3000 Series?  

Edited by boris
new information found

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/4/2019 at 12:27 AM, Brucej32 said:

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD. 

I'm about to convert my ryzen 7 1700, Asus strix x370-f build over to an unraid setup, and I have the option of running an asus strix 1070 (for a W10 passthrough) and a gt710 for unraid. Has anyone tried any other bios(es?) other than 4207 (i.e. 5009) for passthrough, and do they work?  

@Brucej32 - You should be good with the x370 and Ryzen 1700 if you downgrade the BIOS like @xsinmyeyes said, but if you're considering investing in a new 3000 series AMD Ryzen CPU... You won't be able to do the pass-through yet...

 

On 8/10/2019 at 10:02 AM, boris said:

Apparently a new AGESA update (AGESA 1.0.0.4ABB) fixes the passthrough problem. AMD does recommend this only for Ryzen 3000 Series. Could someone check if it will work with Ryzen 3000 Series?  

This would be amazing, @boris!  I am a bit skeptical for a few reasons...  Mostly because I cannot find a changelog for this update- apparently the AGESA number system is really inconsistent(??).  So, I have questions like: How long will it take to roll out to all motherboards?  Will it cover all motherboards?  etc.  But it is hopeful.

If you get a chance to try it, would love to see if it allows pass-through to work!

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, AGoulimis said:

Not sure if I should post this here or in the Code 43 tutorial thread (moderator, this is for you 😉), but here goes: 

I had the same issue on an ASUS Prime X470 Pro. Downgrading worked just fine, thank you for that.

However, I didn't notice that after rebooting and starting the VM, the drivers for the GPU got automatically loaded from WU (because the GPU ended up on a different hostdev slot, for some reason). This resulted in a beatiful Code 43. While trying to fix the issue, the VM (and Unraid) would freeze when rebooting after the patched driver install. Turns out it was just because I had three screens connected! Removing the two extra screens, DDU-ing and reapplying the patched drivers, rebooting the VM, shutting it down (again) and reconnecting the two screens did the trick. 

Hope this is of use to someone else! 

@AGoulimis, I am not familiar with this error and doubt it's specific to this pass-through issue; however, it may help someone!  And 3 screens, nice!  The one thing I can comment on - I do think it's reasonable to see the GPU on a different hostdev slot.  Those BIOS updates changed the CPU pinning for me, so it could have impacts on how devices are assigned, especially as they pass-through to the VM.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Along with what @boris said above... It looks like this issue has been fixed!  Got this message from AMD Tech Support:

Quote

Response and Service Request History:

This is with reference to your issue with the AGESA update breaking VFIO IOMMU GPU passthrough.

This issue has been addressed with the updated AGESA A1003 ABB BIOS version. Please check for the availability of this BIOS on the motherboard manufacturers web site.

 

I have no clue when it is going to roll out, or even what the heck a A1003 ABB version is, but it should be coming down the pipe sometime!

 

Edit -

* looks like it's already available for you ASUS folks!  https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112403-Agesa-1-0-0-3-abb

* and you ASROCK folks - https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS

* and Gigabyte - https://hardforum.com/threads/agesa-1-0-0-3-abb.1984916/

* where is MSI??

 

Anyone willing to give it a shot and report back??

Edited by mattz
added note

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mattz said:

Along with what @boris said above... It looks like this issue has been fixed!

Great just after I finish the roll back after a lot of anxiety lol.

 

Thank you for posting this! This worked for me on an Asus PRIME B350-PLUS downgrading BIOS from 5204 to 3806. I can pass through my GPU again to Windows 10 VM!

 

I used the link provided in the OP edit and followed the instructions, with the added step of downloading the 5204 & 3806 CAP files from Asus and extracting the body of 3806 into a rom file with UEFITool.exe to put on the flash drive.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

EDIT: Found a fix...

deactivate Secure Boot and Enable Legacy Boot options. UEFI blocks

the gpu usage in VM. Its just happen

if you have only one gpu in the system.

 

But should not be this way and we wait still an a bios update for X570

 

Hey guys

 

yesterday my ryzen 9 3900X arrived and i have a Asus Strix X570-F Board with unraid. Since i changed from an Intel H97 Chipset and i4790 to AMD 

my VM is broke. But strange, there is no D3 error it's another:

 

qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_region_write(0000:08:00.0:region1+0x7c4f8, 0x0,8) failed: Device or resource busy

 

08:00.0 is my Asus Nvidia 1070 graphics card and it ends in a cryptic screen with unraid command lines in the back but no passthrough.

Sometimes it shows me the same hardware ID and tells me "can't mmap the device. 

I tried our the latest bios 1005 with 1003 ABB but it does not change anything at all. 

 

In the end i tried downgrading my bios back to stock but it seems a problem with the X570 because X470 and older works with older bios....

 

Did someone bring to work the passthrough with a X570 Board and Nvidia GPU?

Edited by sefti

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Just updated my Asus Prime B450-A to 7/29/2019 BIOS version 1607 which says it updates AGESA 1.0.0.3 AB. Just tried to pass through an GeForce 760 to a Windows 10 VM, but I still get the same D3 error.

 

EDIT: My CPU is an AMD Ryzen 2700.

Edited by ZooMass

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/16/2019 at 3:13 AM, mattz said:

Along with what @boris said above... It looks like this issue has been fixed!  Got this message from AMD Tech Support:

 

I have no clue when it is going to roll out, or even what the heck a A1003 ABB version is, but it should be coming down the pipe sometime!

 

Edit -

* looks like it's already available for you ASUS folks!  https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?112403-Agesa-1-0-0-3-abb

* and you ASROCK folks - https://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp?cat=BIOS

* and Gigabyte - https://hardforum.com/threads/agesa-1-0-0-3-abb.1984916/

* where is MSI??

 

Anyone willing to give it a shot and report back??

Still not working on an Asus Prime board with a 3000 or a 2000 series chip.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, ZooMass said:

Just updated my Asus Prime B450-A to 7/29/2019 BIOS version 1607 which says it updates AGESA 1.0.0.3 AB. Just tried to pass through an GeForce 760 to a Windows 10 VM, but I still get the same D3 error.

 

15 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Still not working on an Asus Prime board with a 3000 or a 2000 series chip.

Thank you , @ZooMass and @qwijibo for trying that latest AGESA.  It's disheartening it didn't work.  It sounds like, though, from the post below that it might ALSO require an updated Linux kernel.  I believe Unraid is working on this for the next version, but I am not sure when that will be released.

 

14 hours ago, david279 said:

Try this 

 

 

@Leoyzen - When you upgraded the Linux Kernel for the fix, did you also have the latest AGESA BIOS for that x570?  Quite a few people on this thread are battling with the issues.

Edited by mattz

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, mattz said:

 

Thank you , @ZooMass and @qwijibo for trying that latest AGESA.  It's disheartening it didn't work.  It sounds like, though, from the post below that it might ALSO require an updated Linux kernel.  I believe Unraid is working on this for the next version, but I am not sure when that will be released.

 

@Leoyzen - When you upgraded the Linux Kernel for the fix, did you also have the latest AGESA BIOS for that x570?  Quite a few people on this thread are battling with the issues.

Yes, I'm using 3700x and MSI X570 ACE with AGESA 1.0.0.3AB BIOS( which is the newest, MSI did not update 1.0.0.3AB for my board),and passthrough GPU works fine for me (I dont have meet the situation which the thread describe. I'm using RTX2070 for a Win 10/Ubuntu and RX560 for Win10/Hackintosh). I also tested benchmark (which have ~3% performance degraded compared to bare metal) and restart, all seems working for me.

I don't know if it is a bug which latest kernel can solve, but you can try using the newest kernel with no harm (just backup your bzimage and bzmodules first) and see if it works.

 

I'm fighting with some other problems the Zen 2 platform have, such as :

1. when restarting or hibrating the vm, the vm enter pause state and cant be resume anymore, I must force stop the vm and start again to make it work

2. Current AGESA has some issues which describe in reddit post , may report  " AER: Uncorrected (Non-Fatal) error received" in log seems related with Starship/Matisse GPP Bridge, but I cant see any bad behaviors for me yet

Edited by Leoyzen

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.