mattz

Win10 VM graphics pass-through broke after AMD BIOS update

130 posts in this topic Last Reply

i was playing around with that , but cant definitely tell which step did the fix... "i assume as i moved to 6.9.0 beta 1 it upgraded kernel and fix it somehow."

Posted (edited)

Wanted to follow-up.  The cause for my issue [with the Ryzen 3900x hanging while trying to pass-through USB Controller 3.0] was totally that FLR issue posted above.  Luckily, someone on this forum had already compiled a kernel with a temporary fix, and I used that.  Find that custom kernel for Unraid 6.8.3 here:

On 6/3/2020 at 6:50 AM, killeriq said:

i was playing around with that , but cant definitely tell which step did the fix... "i assume as i moved to 6.9.0 beta 1 it upgraded kernel and fix it somehow."

Note that I tried Unraid 6.9.0-beta1 and it did not yet have the FLR fix in the Linux kernel.  It will eventually make it into the Linux Kernel, but probabaly not until 5.8...  So, might be a while before it makes it into Unraid, read more about the commit - https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/helgaas/pci.git/commit/?h=pci/virtualization&id=0d14f06cd665

@killeriq - not sure how you got it to work with the Unraid 6.9.0 beta 1, but if it works, I would say that's the important part.

Edited by mattz
additional note about original problem with 3900x

On 6/3/2020 at 2:53 AM, mattz said:

@killeriq- I think I'm in the same boat now.  I just upgraded my x470 board to the Ryzen 3900x from the 2700x (wanted the cores!).  However, I am no longer able to pass through my motherboard's USB Controller 3.0 the same way I did with the 2700x.  I now get the same error you had and the whole system will lock up, requiring a hard reboot:

kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 1023ms after FLR; waiting

It is something others are encountering--the only way to fix it is to avoid passing through that particular USB controller, and use other USB Controllers, if you can: 

There is also a Kernel patch, it appears, that could fix it.  So, I am not sure, does the latest Unraid BIOS fix it for you?  It could be the kernel patch made it in... 

After i added 2nd GPU card - needed to do some testing...all was good. Then removed it , kept only one and the same issue started again and FREEEZEs.

Read through your notes, some custom patch has to be applied (for version 6.8.3). I was already on 6.9.1b22 so not able to revert 2version back.

Anyway not really sure how i was able to run it before without any patch, but i assume this is the way:

I wasnt able to start VM module, soon as i wanted it freeze with error bellow.

So what to do:

1. in BIOS disable IOMMU

2. Start the Unraid2

3. Start VM module. Make all possible VMs with "AMD Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function | Non-Essential Instrumentation (0c:00.0)" on Disabled AUTO start, then restart unraid

4. Enable IOMMU in BIOS

5. Unraid shold boot , VM module should be visible. Edit the VMs and look for "AMD Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function | Non-Essential Instrumentation (0c:00.0)" added into your VM image - you shold UNTICK IT, then SAVE...next time when you EDIT VM image is not present anymore.

6. Start the VM and all should be running fine

I added limetech to my reply , to include patch...as seems like all users with new Ryzen 3xxx series have the same problem.

"AMD Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function | Non-Essential Instrumentation (0c:00.0)" source of issues

Jul 5 13:02:30 unRAIDTower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 1023ms after FLR; waiting
Jul 5 13:02:32 unRAIDTower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 2047ms after FLR; waiting
Jul 5 13:02:35 unRAIDTower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 4095ms after FLR; waiting
Jul 5 13:02:40 unRAIDTower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 8191ms after FLR; waiting
Jul 5 13:02:50 unRAIDTower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 16383ms after FLR; waiting
Jul 5 13:03:07 unRAIDTower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 32767ms after FLR; waiting
Jul 5 13:03:42 unRAIDTower kernel: vfio-pci 0000:0c:00.0: not ready 65535ms after FLR; giving up
Jul 5 13:03:43 unRAIDTower kernel: clocksource: timekeeping watchdog on CPU10: Marking clocksource 'tsc' as unstable because the skew is too large:
Jul 5 13:03:43 unRAIDTower kernel: clocksource: 'hpet' wd_now: b4700ed2 wd_last: b3954a18 mask: ffffffff
Jul 5 13:03:43 unRAIDTower kernel: clocksource: 'tsc' cs_now: 1d337ecfa60 cs_last: 1d337dd658c mask: ffffffffffffffff
Jul 5 13:03:43 unRAIDTower kernel: tsc: Marking TSC unstable due to clocksource watchdog
Jul 5 13:03:43 unRAIDTower kernel: TSC found unstable after boot, most likely due to broken BIOS. Use 'tsc=unstable'.
Jul 5 13:03:43 unRAIDTower kernel: sched_clock: Marking unstable (510899129422, -8570651)<-(510996221197, -105679272)
Jul 5 13:03:45 unRAIDTower kernel: clocksource: Switched to clocksource hpet

13 hours ago, killeriq said:

I added limetech to my reply , to include patch...as seems like all users with new Ryzen 3xxx series have the same problem.

"AMD Starship/Matisse PCIe Dummy Function | Non-Essential Instrumentation (0c:00.0)" source of issues

Good idea adding limetech.  They may defer for it to be included into the Linux Kernel, which should come based on that commit I reference.  However, with the Ryzen 3600 and others SO CHEAP and performant I am sure there are quite a few people moving on them.

BTW - Those steps you had to take, good points.  Super annoying, it's because the VM image will "remember" devices that are "removed".  You can also edit the XML directly to remove the reference so you don't need the checkbox; however, it's a little bit of guesswork to figure out which XML element(s) it is.