What is the best controller I can use for Dell R710??

The IT department at my job gave me their old Dell R710 server for free. I had in mind to install Unraid, and use it as a home server for Plex (video, music), download server, and various tests on VMs. Spanking my installation I realize that only one hard drive is recognized, being completely new in the world of servers and Unraid I did some research in the forum and across the net, and my controller seems to cause a problem, but as the choice of it is a little unclear for me, I ask your help knowing that I aim to eventually put 6 disks sata 2 tera. Which controller would be best for my use?

I hope I'm in the right section, otherwise please excuse me !!

In fact it is also what I supposed, since there was 2 hard disk to install at the beginning. As the default install version on the R710 seems to cause problem with Unraid in others topics, I did not look further ... MY bad...

I validate everything after work and I come back with the info !!

Well I just bought a refurb R710 and it had a PERC6i raid controller and it cannot be flashed to IT mode from what I gathered so I put an LSI 9211 8i flashed to IT mode and it works flawlessly with unraid I did see there was some workaround but in the end its to much trouble and you would loose SMART info on your drives, also be aware that if you have SAS drives you will not be able to spin them down via unraid

• Like 2
10 hours ago, dead_soul said:

Is an H200 card having the same problems as an LSI 9211 8i?

Sorry after reading my response I kinda went right into the downside but that was for the PERC6i here is the HBA I ordered I have 2 of them work great right outta the box:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H310-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-w-LSI-9211-8i-P20-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/162834659601?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

• Like 1

mrbilky 

What connection cable did you use?

And, is a single card LSI 9211 8i supports the 6 disks of my R710?

If I understand correctly I replace the card and the wiring, and it work!? or if I have any configuration to do?

sorry to ask, as I said it's new to me, it's different than making a water cooling gaming rig;-) completely a new world...

On 3/19/2019 at 9:48 AM, dead_soul said:

mrbilky 

What connection cable did you use?

And, is a single card LSI 9211 8i supports the 6 disks of my R710?

If I understand correctly I replace the card and the wiring, and it work!? or if I have any configuration to do?

sorry to ask, as I said it's new to me, it's different than making a water cooling gaming rig;-) completely a new world...

That was the beauty of this card it is unRAID ready flashed to IT mode you do have to buy a forward breakout cable here is the one I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KFEVQ4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And yes this card handles 8 drives it has 2 Mini SAS(SFF-8087) ports each handles 4 drives and no config needed with the parts I have shown here. One word of note if you are planning on ssd's for a cache pool you will need a daughter board for pcie as the drives will not trim on the HBA there is 2 discrete sata ports on my mobo so if yours is the same you should also have them 1 is for the CD drive and the other is unpopulated at least on mine I have not done allot of research but I do think I read that they are sata 2 so don't know how performance would be if you put ssd's on them but you should have 4 pcie x8 slots wired by x8 x4 and the dedicated slot for the PERC6i not sure of the config of those but should have plenty of options to make something work or there is an option card on think its riser 2 for 1 pcie x16 slot wired x16 in replacement of 2 x8

Lots of options for this Dell R710 to make a nice little server, VM machine

Edited by mrbilky
correction to pcie slot config x8 slots not x16
  • Like 1
34 minutes ago, mrbilky said:

That was the beauty of this card it is unRAID ready flashed to IT mode you do have to buy a forward breakout cable here is the one I purchased:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KFEVQ4E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And yes this card handles 8 drives it has 2 Mini SAS(SFF-8087) ports each handles 4 drives and no config needed with the parts I have shown here. One word of note if you are planning on ssd's for a cache pool you will need a daughter board for pcie as the drives will not trim on the HBA there is 2 discrete sata ports on my mobo so if yours is the same you should also have them 1 is for the CD drive and the other is unpopulated at least on mine I have not done allot of research but I do think I read that they are sata 2 so don't know how performance would be if you put ssd's on them but you should have 4 pcie x16 slots wired by x8 and the dedicated slot for the PERC6i not sure of the config of those but should have plenty of options to make something work or there is an option card on think its riser 2 for 1 pcie x16 slot wired x16 in replacement of 2 x8

Lots of options for this Dell R710 to make a nice little server, VM machine

So,I did my homework, properly, the card a re plug and play if I buy an unRAID ready flashed version, and I need to change my cables to have the right connectors on it...

Thanks for your time & explannation

I will test it in few day!!

• 1 year later...
On 3/19/2019 at 5:54 AM, mrbilky said:

Sorry after reading my response I kinda went right into the downside but that was for the PERC6i here is the HBA I ordered I have 2 of them work great right outta the box:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-H310-6Gbps-SAS-HBA-w-LSI-9211-8i-P20-IT-Mode-for-ZFS-FreeNAS-unRAID/162834659601?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I'm planing on setting up unraid on R710. What are you using to boot the system? 

1 hour ago, lalu97 said:

I'm planing on setting up unraid on R710. What are you using to boot the system? 

I have an R710 running unRAID if you are asking what boot device and its location I am using a store branded micro center usb 3 thumb drive put into the internal usb slot in the system, do not take that the usb 3 thumb drive is right for you I can only attest to the fact that I have both my unRAID machines running with these over a couple years now with no issues usb 2 is recommended, haha maybe my branded usb 3 devices are really usb 2 I just paid the upcharge, if you are asking what hba to use I got mine on ebay and they were "certified" for use with unRAID if you need model and brand I can dig that up

On 5/14/2020 at 4:04 PM, mrbilky said:

I have an R710 running unRAID if you are asking what boot device and its location I am using a store branded micro center usb 3 thumb drive put into the internal usb slot in the system, do not take that the usb 3 thumb drive is right for you I can only attest to the fact that I have both my unRAID machines running with these over a couple years now with no issues usb 2 is recommended, haha maybe my branded usb 3 devices are really usb 2 I just paid the upcharge, if you are asking what hba to use I got mine on ebay and they were "certified" for use with unRAID if you need model and brand I can dig that up

Thanks...I was asking about boot device. I ordered 2 Sandisk Cruzer FIT usb 2.0, one drive to boot and another to backup the boot drive.

How is your experience with R710 so far?

On 5/17/2020 at 4:22 PM, lalu97 said:

Thanks...I was asking about boot device. I ordered 2 Sandisk Cruzer FIT usb 2.0, one drive to boot and another to backup the boot drive.

How is your experience with R710 so far?

The cruzer fit seems to be the goto so you should be fine there, I can't complain about the R710 but full disclosure my hearing is not the best however I also have an R410 and that thing is absolutely loud as all heck I'm still considering modding the R710 with a custom hood with noctua fans but I'm in no hurry as at this time it's not running 24/7 I custom built my daily driver and runs 24/7 and its been solid for over 2 years now you should have a  good time with your setup its a proven rig

On 5/18/2020 at 6:29 PM, mrbilky said:

The cruzer fit seems to be the goto so you should be fine there, I can't complain about the R710 but full disclosure my hearing is not the best however I also have an R410 and that thing is absolutely loud as all heck I'm still considering modding the R710 with a custom hood with noctua fans but I'm in no hurry as at this time it's not running 24/7 I custom built my daily driver and runs 24/7 and its been solid for over 2 years now you should have a  good time with your setup its a proven rig

Thanks...Just can't wait for R710 to be delivered.  

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/9/2020 at 6:26 AM, mtrepanier said:

I'm in the process of getting a r710 myself to use with unraid.  After a lots of reading, I think I will have to order an H200 controller card right?  Will use it mainly for plex media server

The H200 works for me once flashed to IT mode. I also change the SBR so that it would work in the internal slot where the Perc controller was.

You will need to get replacement cables to connect the h200 to the backplane.

I have a second Controller in a second pcie slot to control my NETAPP Diskshelf.

There are several versions of the R710 some with 2.5" bays and others with 3.5" bays, I would go with the 3.5" version.