Large Amount of Reads/Writes to Boot USB

Hope this is the right forum to post in, I'm brand new to unRAID. Just set up my first array last night, and so far there have been 4k reads from the boot USB and 45k writes. This doesn't feel normal based on what I know about how the OS is supposed to operate, or am I missing something?

The only things I've been doing so far is pre clearing drives before adding to the array and installing/configuring some plugins.

4 hours ago, zbron said:

installing/configuring some plugins.

I'm just guessing, but installing/configuring a bunch of plugins could very well be the reason for the high reads/writes. Since all plugins and all configuration changes are stored on the flash drive. I would say if it continues this behavior then something is wrong, but if not just go ahead and finish setting up your server. Welcome aboard btw :)

Edited by strike

Thank you! Very happy to join the unRAID ranks.

I just hit "new config" before adding my parity and data disks, and the flash is reading <100 reads/writes, so I think I'm safe. Now to wait for the parity sync to run and I can get started in earnest!

4 minutes ago, strike said:

I'm just guessing, but installing/configuring a bunch of plugins could very well be the reason for the high reads/writes. Since all plugins and all configuration changes are stored on the flash drive. I would say if it continues this behavior then something is wrong, but if not just go ahead and finish setting up your server. Welcome aboard btw :)

That's a real good guess ;)

2 minutes ago, zbron said:

Thank you! Very happy to join the unRAID ranks.

I just hit "new config" before adding my parity and data disks, and the flash is reading <100 reads/writes, so I think I'm safe. Now to wait for the parity sync to run and I can get started in earnest!

Have fun!  For future reference: you can upload the diagnostics.zip file right here on the forum.

• Like 1