How to use all system USB ports for Daily Driver Windows VM?

1 minute ago, bastl said:

Not actual sure if this would work. Some older cards are still recognized without extra power plugged in. Worst case, server won't boot.

I bet the layout will be the same as for me. Slot1 is connected to node1 and slot3 to node0. 

If that's the case (which I'd expect to be the case based on how are boards are pretty much the same) than I do have the correct cores pinned and isolated in Unraid for the VM.

5 minutes ago, bastl said:

Gsync monitor maybe? Try changing that and see if it maybe helps. 

Nope.  I don't even have a gaming monitor because in all honesty I don't game much and if I do it's older stuff (ie. Remastered SC1, SuperSmash Brothers Melee in Dolphin, etc.) so it's not graphic intense.  The system I build was WAY overkill for my needs but I like to go overboard sometimes :D).

But yea, my monitor is a Dell 38in Ultrawide (just 60Hz).

2 minutes ago, bastl said:

Even one 1080ti is to much, f*** it buy two 😂

Lol yup.  I mean, I did forget to mention I do play some VR with the Occulus Rift and I was dabbling into mining a little bit though that didn't last long.  But yes, I fully admit it's an overkill system.  Hense why I'm trying to now make use of all those spare resources.  If i can get one of the 1080Ti's working in Plex with the unlocked nvidia driver thus not limiting the transcoding streams to 2, I can start adding some h265 media to my library which should free up some space.

Edited by IamSpartacus

Alright I got myself all setup now.  I really wanted to get my first GPU working for the VM that way anytime I boot my server I've got video output.  So I passed the vbios ROM to the VM with the first GPU passed through, but that just gave me an error 43 still.  Then I found a post about making sure the server was booting in legacy mode and not UEFI mode.  BINGO!  That did the trick.  I now have my first slot GPU passed through to my VM, driver loads fine, and no flickering or video distortion like I was getting before.  😁

• Like 1
On 3/18/2019 at 7:06 PM, Warrentheo said:

Some of those use the ones that are part of the motherboard, which usually has the same issues as using the ports that come with the motherboard...

This is the one that I use:

Inateck KT5001 PCI-E to USB 3.0 5-Port PCI Express Card and 15-Pin Power Connector, Red

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FPIMJEW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Works very well, and supplies power which is something you need to consider, the power coming from your motherboard is not going to be able to light up all the stuff you plug in, so you will either need to get a powered USB hub and plug that in, or get one that taps power off from the power supply directly...  This one also has a second internal header, so you can connect up some of your front panel case ports to it to pass them also (on mine this is 2 ports on the front, 5 in the back, you will not find a card that does better than 7)

@Warrentheo How did you pass this USB card through to a VM?  I just got it installed and it's not showing up as a USB controller in an IOMMU group.  It's showing under USB devices:

Bus 003 Device 002:	ID 2109:2812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub
Bus 004 Device 002:	ID 2109:0812 VIA Labs, Inc. VL812 Hub

EDIT:  Nvmd.  I got it working by isolating the USB hub to it's own IOMMU group and then adding the device id to vfio-pc.id= in syslinux.

Edited by IamSpartacus
12 hours ago, IamSpartacus said:

You didn't by any chance try (and have success) passthroughing through the Wireless NIC to a Windows VM did you?

I didn't tried yet. Without ACS override it's grouped together with all the other nics and the USB3.1 controller. With the patch I know it get's separated in it's own group. It should work. 

12 minutes ago, bastl said:

I didn't tried yet. Without ACS override it's grouped together with all the other nics and the USB3.1 controller. With the patch I know it get's separated in it's own group. It should work. 

Yea I tried the ACS patch which does separate it but I get a Code 10 device cannot start in Windows so no dice so far.

Edited by IamSpartacus